Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 03:53 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Slap? Ha! That was a love pat that Nanny P. and the House gave Rangle. Did you look at the role call and notice that Pelosi did not vote for his censure? Explain how that is her living up to her claims to "drain the swamp" and enforce the "most ethical Congress in history". Go ahead.
I already did, try getting in touch with reality.

Lawyers protect lawyers

Doctors protect doctors

Politicians protect politicians

Etc., etc., etc., .................................................. ................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 05:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
WHY?

Bush/Cheney never did
So when do we start holding our elected reps accountable? Or do we simply use the excuse well so and so was punished? At what point do we start dropping the hammer on corrupt politicians? This is a bi-partisan issue....

Old 12-03-2010, 06:21 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So much for "draining the swamp" of corruption. The man should have been expelled from Congress and possibly face jail time; but and all he gets is a 43 second censure speech by Pelosi and a pat on the wrist.

House censures Rangel for ethics violations on 333-79 vote - TheHill.com

If you and I cheated on our taxes like Rangel, we would be in prison. But don't forget, the head of the treasury also cheated and didn't even get a slap on the wrist.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
So when do we start holding our elected reps accountable?
I thought that happened last November. The fact that most folks can't seem to wrap their heads around is that some local folk (the one's that elect these folks) find your sinners to be their saints.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:38 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I thought that happened last November. The fact that most folks can't seem to wrap their heads around is that some local folk (the one's that elect these folks) find your sinners to be their saints.
The election was a start. But when do we demand that our elected reps behave in a manner that that is acceptable? Is it all right that we allow them to commit crimes that can get the rest of us thrown in jail?
My point is that too often people make excuses or give free passes because the politician in question is of the correct party. Doesn't the American public deserve something better? Don't we have a right to expect our law makers to be held as accountable as they demand that we be?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:04 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Why aren't the right wing nutjobs yelling to the heavens that Bush and Cheney are not in prison for war crimes?
When did the libs hold the trial for those two? I didn't even know that they had formally made any charges that could lead to ethics wrongs. I only know that some of you accuse them and think that is the end of the game.

Did Rangel break tax laws or not? That was the topic of this thread before you tried to change it to Bush and Cheney. Deflection seems to be your favorite game.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:09 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
.....The fact that most folks can't seem to wrap their heads around is that some local folk (the one's that elect these folks) find your sinners to be their saints.
And this means we should be a nation of men instead of a nation of laws why exactly?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:30 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
The election was a start. But when do we demand that our elected reps behave in a manner that that is acceptable? Is it all right that we allow them to commit crimes that can get the rest of us thrown in jail?
My point is that too often people make excuses or give free passes because the politician in question is of the correct party. Doesn't the American public deserve something better? Don't we have a right to expect our law makers to be held as accountable as they demand that we be?
Yes, Yes, Yes.

I wonder if Rangel would have been punished before next month or later if Nasty Nancy hadn't lost her seat to local people taking out so many of her people. I think she would have tried to hide this one as deep as possible if she had managed to keep her seat.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:39 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
So when do we start holding our elected reps accountable? Or do we simply use the excuse well so and so was punished? At what point do we start dropping the hammer on corrupt politicians? This is a bi-partisan issue....
I think we lost that opportunity long ago. When's the last time you think Congress actually gave a rat's ass what their electors thought?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Yes, Yes, Yes.

I wonder if Rangel would have been punished before next month or later if Nasty Nancy hadn't lost her seat to local people taking out so many of her people. I think she would have tried to hide this one as deep as possible if she had managed to keep her seat.
I'm wondering when Maxine Waters will have her hearing in front of the House Ethics Committee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies