Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you stand on the concept of man made global warming?
I believe that man made global warming is real. 24 23.53%
I believe that our planet cycles through cooling and warming periods naturally. 67 65.69%
Some of both 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 12:45 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,293,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Every glacier on the planet is shrinking at an unusually fast pace, the polar ice caps are shrinking and 2010 is going down as one of the hottest years on record, I think you may want to recheck your own "Facts".
Casper
They're just being relocated. Call your nearest HAARP representative today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DocNpbO45vg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaQV4fYzB3U
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 12:46 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,323,132 times
This "debate" cracks me up!

You people do realize that the REST OF THE WORLD is no longer discussing this right? Almost everyone, everywhere agrees that man-made global warming is real and that we have to do something to turn it around. It's only here in America, where we have turned it into a political football, that it's still under "debate."

Did it ever occur to all you "non-believers" that maybe, just maybe, the fact that America consumes the majority of the Worlds energy might have something to do with why the oil and gas industry has spent billions on marketing to Americans the notion that global warming isn't real?

Old 12-04-2010, 12:54 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,751,574 times
I disagree with the oil, gas, and coal industry and their bought off "scientists." Climate change happens naturally, but it takes literally hundreds of thousands of years to cycle through. What we are going through now is happening quicker. We are accelerating the warming of the planet.

It's simple. Gases in the atmosphere trap heat. We are adding more gases to the atmosphere that trap heat, as a result, the global temp keeps rising.

This is really just a phony debate between actual scientists and phony propaganda put out by the major fossil fuel industries.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:06 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,757,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Personally, I think that weather cycles on Earth fluctuate for natural reasons such as the precession of the equinoxes and cyclical solar activity. The planet we live on goes through natural cooling and warming cycles as evidenced by the many ice ages proven to have taken place in the past.

I haven't seen any convincing evidence that man himself is negatively impacting global weather despite the considerable effort being made to cultivate this perception.

What could lie behind this agenda? What are the real reasons for pushing the "man made" theory. (I have my suspicions, I'm just curious as to what other people think.)
I think considerable efforts have been brought to bear from both sides to SELL answers, rather than explore the truth by providing material evidence. I'm very disappointed in both sides, each churning out competing brands of junk science. Integrity is severely lacking in debate when people orientate themselves to control information rather than present it in a straightforward manner. They're pandering to peoples desire to be entertained and to offer up magic bullet solutions. I believe the issues are far more complex but few ordinary citizens have been empowered to do their homework because information sources are not to be trusted. The best of intentions to acquire that education are being thwarted.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:18 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,757,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I disagree with the oil, gas, and coal industry and their bought off "scientists." Climate change happens naturally, but it takes literally hundreds of thousands of years to cycle through. What we are going through now is happening quicker. We are accelerating the warming of the planet.

It's simple. Gases in the atmosphere trap heat. We are adding more gases to the atmosphere that trap heat, as a result, the global temp keeps rising.

This is really just a phony debate between actual scientists and phony propaganda put out by the major fossil fuel industries.
There is evidence proving that the coal industry did buy off scientists. That doesn't mean coal doesn't have legitimate position, it means they've animated themselves in a way that's dishonest to compete with dishonesty afoot.

OJ couldn't get a fair trial when too many people see fit to tamper with evidence, but that didn't make me conclude he was innocent. Justice gets perverted deliberately, and debates get sabotaged deliberately. We need to rise above this.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:27 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,315,930 times
I used to think global warming was real, then I learned the facts and got smarter.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:35 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,546,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Thats all true but I have to wonder how the anti science crowd reconciles their selfishness with what they are leaving behind for their children and grandchildren.

You'd think these folks would at least care enough about the planet to not leave it permanently altered for their offspring.

Not so. And therein shows the level of their selfishness.

Pretty sad, but denial aint a river in Egypt, it's part of the American psyche.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Every glacier on the planet is shrinking at an unusually fast pace, the polar ice caps are shrinking and 2010 is going down as one of the hottest years on record, I think you may want to recheck your own "Facts".
Casper
My stance is not "anti-science". Yes global temperatures are rising and glaciers are melting, but there is plenty of science behind the idea that these warming cycles are natural just like the proven past ice ages. On the other hand, the data behind the man made global warming theory is specious at best. Read up on Maurice Strong and Agenda 21 if you really want to know where all this is heading. You wont like what you see -if you understand it that is.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:50 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,000,256 times
Surely, nobody in their right mind would ever conclude that six billion people burning fossil fuels day and night would or could have any effect on the climate? That'd be crazy.

Really, you need "conclusive" and unbiased scientific evidence for that? Really?

Old 12-04-2010, 07:54 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,474,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
This "debate" cracks me up!

You people do realize that the REST OF THE WORLD is no longer discussing this right? Almost everyone, everywhere agrees that man-made global warming is real and that we have to do something to turn it around. It's only here in America, where we have turned it into a political football, that it's still under "debate."

Did it ever occur to all you "non-believers" that maybe, just maybe, the fact that America consumes the majority of the Worlds energy might have something to do with why the oil and gas industry has spent billions on marketing to Americans the notion that global warming isn't real?
I've said it before (in this thread) and I'll say it again:

Americans are too dumb and too easily convinced by rightwing propaganda to admit what everyone else knows:

Science is real, measurable and has confirmed man has largely caused warming temperatures

Old 12-04-2010, 07:59 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,481,557 times
Both answers......yes our climate fluctuates...but in the natural cycle we are long overdue for a cooling period....yet mean temperatures continue to rise...IMO...because of manmade contributions of many millions of tons of "greenhouse gases".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies