Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you stand on the concept of man made global warming?
I believe that man made global warming is real. 24 23.53%
I believe that our planet cycles through cooling and warming periods naturally. 67 65.69%
Some of both 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,704 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think that weather cycles on Earth fluctuate for natural reasons such as the precession of the equinoxes and cyclical solar activity. The planet we live on goes through natural cooling and warming cycles as evidenced by the many ice ages proven to have taken place in the past.

I haven't seen any convincing evidence that man himself is negatively impacting global weather despite the considerable effort being made to cultivate this perception.

What could lie behind this agenda? What are the real reasons for pushing the "man made" theory. (I have my suspicions, I'm just curious as to what other people think.)

Last edited by Zekester; 12-03-2010 at 04:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 04:43 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,250 times
Earth has been here alot longer than us. GW is an agenda used to control us. Do I believe the Earth is warming up yes. Is it us dumb humans fault No

Old 12-03-2010, 05:56 AM

196 posts, read 208,797 times
I'd like to choose both answers, because they're both obviously correct.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambango View Post
I'd like to choose both answers, because they're both obviously correct.
I don't understand. How are they both "obviously" correct?

Old 12-03-2010, 06:10 AM

196 posts, read 208,797 times
(2) The easier one is the Earth's natural hot & cold cycles. You can go with summer & winter, or longer term cycles like over a few dozen years, or even longer cycles that last tens of thousands of years. This one is backed up by boatloads of evidence, and in kindergartens all over the world... no debate.

(1) Man has clearly had some effect on warming of the Earth. Exactly how much effect we had is the real question. Also the question is, "Can we stop what we've already done without crippling our economies?" There's too much evidence of man made global warming to seriously propose it's all a coincidence and we had nothing to do with it.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:10 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Personally, I think that weather cycles on Earth fluctuate for natural reasons such as the precession of the equinoxes and cyclical solar activity. The planet we live on goes through natural cooling and warming cycles as evidenced by the many ice ages proven to have taken place in the past.

I haven't seen any convincing evidence that man himself is negatively impacting global weather despite the considerable effort being made to cultivate this perception.

What could lie behind this agenda? What are the real reasons for pushing the "man made" theory. (I have my suspicions, I'm just curious as to what other people think.)

A bit of both, with man being a equal partner, but more indirect (mostly unintentional), through the sum of many actions over time.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:23 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
I'm with those who think it's not an either/or choice. I can't see how anyone could reasonably believe 6 billion people can live on this earth and have no effect on the environment at all. It just doesn't make sense.

Having said that, though, I'm not convinced that the problems associated with us are worth the draconian measures proposed. There has to be some middle ground, some accomodation, some acceptance of the fact that the effects of human habitation can't be totally and completely eliminated.

The problem, as I see it, isn't that compromises aren't possible, but that the whole issue has been so politicized that compromise would be seen as total defeat. As with so much else in our modern-day political discourse, lines have been drawn in the sand beyond which neither side dare tread.

So long as both sides insist upon framing the debate in black and white terms and holding to their "No Surrender" positions, nothing will be done.

Since that doesn't seem about to happen, perhaps we'd be better off focusing on ameliorating the effects of global warming which are about to smack us in the face. Anyone who thinks melting polar ice won't affect sea levels is fooling themselves, so instead of yelling back and forth across the divide about WHY the ice is melting, let's get busy and start making plans for when it does.

How about that? Is that better idea?

Old 12-03-2010, 06:24 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Man-made global warming is a myth concocted by liberals to attempt to control the people's lifestyle choices through taxation.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambango View Post
(2) The easier one is the Earth's natural hot & cold cycles. You can go with summer & winter, or longer term cycles like over a few dozen years, or even longer cycles that last tens of thousands of years. This one is backed up by boatloads of evidence, and in kindergartens all over the world... no debate.

(1) Man has clearly had some effect on warming of the Earth. Exactly how much effect we had is the real question. Also the question is, "Can we stop what we've already done without crippling our economies?" There's too much evidence of man made global warming to seriously propose it's all a coincidence and we had nothing to do with it.
Too much evidence? I haven't seen anything definitive, and there are many scientists and climatologists out there who say that the "man made" theory is bogus and even an outright lie.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:39 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,172,705 times
I do believe that the use of fossil fuels could contribute to GW.
I also believe that the millions of animal species who have inhabited the planet for eons of centuries could also have contributed to GW in the past. Methane, carbon dioxide, etc.
It might be a combination of the past and the present.
Is it just the fault of modern day man? No, I don't believe that.
And there have been cycles of heating and cooling before.
Some predict another ice age somewhere in the future.
I'm not smart enough to know. But I dont think todays mankind is the only cause of GW.
It has cycled on and off since the beginning of time according to some so called experts I have read. The warming and cooling cycles and the earths inner instability and plate shifts moved continents, pushed land together so tight that mountains formed from lack of space to move further. Got all crunched up, you might say.
No, I don't believe GW is just the result of todays world.
I think it takes hundreds of years to change the worlds cycles. I think we are just maybe reachng one of the tops of those cycles. And then it may take hundreds of years to reach the lower end of the cycle to what everyone will worry about being global cooling far in the future.
Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies