Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:08 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yeap. And you see this on this very board. Trickle down economics is the favored model for conservatives. The "I never got a job from a poor person" mentality. Also, the "they pay more in taxes" excuse, when "they" own an even greater disproportionate amount of wealth and resources!

It betrays a complete lack of understanding just how great the chasm is between "the rich" and the rest, and the even greater chasm between "the rich" and "the wealthy." Many people THINK they are part of the ruling class when they really aren't, or believe that someday, they too will be part of the "club."

People who make their money from their hard work or ingenuity are entitled to be rich. However, because the society and civilization they live in provided them with the opportunity to be rich, it is not unreasonable for them to be expected to "pay in" to ensure the continued viability of the system as a whole. After all, how many "self made millionaires" would be so without the laws, protections and advantages of the US or Western economy?

But, too many have the "I got mine, so screw everyone else" point of view, with enough neo-serfs and apologists to back them up!
If you take a long and honest look at the tax structure in this country historically, the regulation of business & industry, and the social entitlement programs you will quickly realize (although not publically admit) that it is the policies of Progressives that have destroyed the middle class in the US. Why do union members continue to make their leaders fat and righ? Why do they continue to dump money into Washington rather than to take it home to their families and invest for themselves? I never did understand that mentality of dependency on big government rather than striving for self sufficiency.

Maybe liberals were taken off their mommy's teat too early and spend a lifetime trying to make that up by suckling off the government teat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 09:10 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
People who make their money from their hard work or ingenuity are entitled to be rich. However, because the society and civilization they live in provided them with the opportunity to be rich, it is not unreasonable for them to be expected to "pay in" to ensure the continued viability of the system as a whole. After all, how many "self made millionaires" would be so without the laws, protections and advantages of the US or Western economy?
If such is the case, as you assert, why isn't everyone in the US a self-made millionaire? Clearly, some sacrifice and work for that level of achievement, and others don't. Why do you want to punish sacrifice, ingenuity, and effort, and reward mediocrity and sloth? Exactly what kind of a message do you intend to send by incentivizing mediocrity and failure, and discouraging success?

Old 12-03-2010, 09:11 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Take a double dose of class-envy Kool-Aid with your breakfast? January 1st estate taxes go from 0% in 2010 to 55% in 2011; explain how that is a reduction in estate taxes please.

Marie Antoinette? What does Michelle Obama have to do with this thread? Ted Turner? The man is a wack-a-doodle on a number of levels; wealth and sanity are not automatically correlated, as history would show. Just look at George Soros and his messianic complex.

No one is stopping Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, George Soros, Ted Turner, Nancy Pelosi, John Kerry, the Kennedy family, or even the Obamas from sitting down and writing a check on their own accord, for as much as they want, and sending it to the government are they? So why do you supposes they don't and yet back higher taxes? Do you think it just might be to keep a certain group of elites in power and hinder others in the path of being equally successful and attaining similar wealth? Got hypocrisy?

Seriously, take the partisan blinders off and use some logic instead of posting drivel. Or, are you actually attempting to incite violence against those who may have more than yourself?
Thank you for your post. Not trying to incite violence of any kind. I am very much against that, but I do worry that is where we are going. I don't care about anyone having more money than I do. I have as much as I need to live the life that I live. I am fortunate and realize that.

I would encourage you to read history. You have an advantage that other peasants in the past have not had. Information. Read history. Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If such is the case, as you assert, why isn't everyone in the US a self-made millionaire?Clearly, some sacrifice and work for that level of achievement, and others don't. Why do you want to punish sacrifice, ingenuity, and effort, and reward mediocrity and sloth? Exactly what kind of a message do you intend to send by incentivizing mediocrity and failure, and discouraging success?
The dumbing down of this country and parity of wealth is the goal of progressives. They hate this country and actually want it to turn into a 3rd world slum. Misery loves company and make no doubt about it, Progressives are a loathing and miserable bunch.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Thank you for your post. Not trying to incite violence of any kind. I am very much against that, but I do worry that is where we are going. I don't care about anyone having more money than I do. I have as much as I need to live the life that I live. I am fortunate and realize that.

I would encourage you to read history. You have an advantage that other peasants in the past have not had. Information. Read history. Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.
It would seem you need to take some of your own advice. It is the Progressive politicians who are, and have been for years, repeating the history of the corruption that led to the collapse of Rome.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:17 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,106 times
Quote:
The dumbing down of this country and parity of wealth is the goal of progressives. They hate this country and actually want it to turn into a 3rd world slum. Misery loves company and make no doubt about it, Progressives are a loathing and miserable bunch.
We have a winner for the most ignorant post of the day!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
It would seem you need to take some of your own advise. It is the Progressives that are repeating the history of the corruption that lead to the collapse of Rome.
Based on your continued use of the term progressive and your theory as to the collapse of Rome, I would suspect you have been listening to little too much Glenn Beck. You might consider reading a history book regarding the collapse of Rome instead of listening to Glenn Beck. Don't be part of the group of peasants that blindly follow Becks mad ravings.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
We have a winner for the most ignorant post of the day!
Don't give her that much credit. This is a Glenn Beck theory. She is just parroting.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:33 AM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
The wealthy have done a very good job of making more people peasants and better still, blindly obedient peasants. They have convinced the peasants that everyone who has money has earned it, when that is so far from reality.
As the saying goes, if you can't make it in America you can't make it anywhere. Poor adult people who are not outliers (like sick ones, for example) are poor because of bad choices they have made in life that limit their choices as they age. Someone needs to tell them that so their kids don't fall into the same trap. Not finishing school, having a baby out of wedlock, doing drugs or hanging out with the wrong kind of people are some examples of how choices you make in life limit your opportunities later on. Oh yeah, and stop listening to the people who preach victimology and make a buck off of it.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:35 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,370 times
Quote:
Based on your continued use of the term progressive and your theory as to the collapse of Rome, I would suspect you have been listening to little too much Glenn Beck. You might consider reading a history book regarding the collapse of Rome instead of listening to Glenn Beck. Don't be part of the group of peasants that blindly follow Becks mad ravings.

LOL just like clockwork. Just last night Beck was preaching about the fall of Rome and low and behold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies