Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:37 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Are you saying that you support tax hikes of equal percentage across the board for all income levels? Because if you do not but only support them for one income sector that is indeed hypocritical. How can you not see that? It not matter what you would do "if". It matters what you support given your current circumstance/income.

Income is not a direct determinate of accumulated personal wealth. Because one may have an income above $75K does not make one "rich".
So anything other than a flat tax is hypocritical?

That's absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 11:39 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
So anything other than a flat tax is hypocritical?

That's absurd.
Nice dodge. Please explain how your supporting a tax hike for others and not for all is not hypocritical if you fall into the category not experiencing the hike. Go ahead....

Old 12-03-2010, 11:40 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
In other words .... you are not rich so you don't have to pay more taxes but you are okay with other people who you consider to be rich paying more.

I applaud your generosity with other people's money.
We have a progressive tax structure in this country, which I fully support.

Who I consider to be rich is irrelevant. I'm not the one who gets to make that determination.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:41 AM
JPD

Quote:
Nice dodge. Please explain how your supporting a tax hike for others and not for all is not hypocritical if you fall into the category not experiencing the hike. Go ahead....
I already did that. See my first post on this thread.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I already did that. See my first post on this thread.
No, you did not.

Your statement was based on the premise of "if" you were a multi-millionaire you'd be willing and not whether you are willing based on your current income to pay higher taxes while supporting that others do the same.

Which is it? I mean really, if you are going to be a hypocrite why not wear the badge proudly in the real world instead of hiding behind imaginary scenarios and "ifs" ? Those supporting tax hikes for all incomes aren't hiding or mincing words so why do you?

Are you embarrassed by the possible inconsistencies with your ideology?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:58 AM
JPD

Quote:
No, you did not.

Your statement was based on the premise of "if" you were a multi-millionaire you'd be willing and not whether you are willing based on your current income to pay higher taxes while supporting that others do the same.

Which is it? I mean really, if you are going to be a hypocrite why not wear the badge proudly in the real world instead of hiding behind imaginary scenarios and "ifs" ? Those supporting tax hikes for all incomes aren't hiding or mincing words so why do you?

Are you embarrassed by the possible inconsistencies with your ideology?

I'm not mincing words. Despite your difficulty understanding plain language, and the resultant name-calling, I'm clearly stating:

1. I support tax increases for the highest income levels.
2. I oppose a tax increase for the middle class.
3. If I fell within the highest income levels, I'd be willing to pay a higher percentage than I currently pay.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:59 AM

161 posts, read 141,546 times
Quote:
Why the "if"? If you support anyone force pay higher taxes then why not voluntarily do it yourself? Are you a hypocrite?

The income level of $250K has nothing to do with accumulated wealth equaling millionaire status, or didn't you realize that.

The AMT is going to hit anyone earning $75K this year without a fix. Were you aware of that?

The way I see it the Democrat controlled 110th Congress is an armed thief holding a loaded gun at the heads of taxpaying citizens. Those earning up to $75K are additional hostages not actively having the gun held to their head but hostages just the same. Those taxpayers earning up to $50K are bystanders in the distance but still in the line of fire not realizing the impact of the higher federal fuel taxes, Obamacare, and the financial transaction taxes will have beginning Jan 1st 2011.

Those in Congress voting to keep the current tax rates the same are like armed law enforcement responding to the 911 call. Even if the armed thief gets demands met some hostages and bystanders will still be shot.

Is this type of loss acceptable to you? Why?
So by your logic, all the people that supported the Iraq or Afghanistan war should have all been the first ones to sign up and fight? Cause I sure see a lot of those people walking around everyday, and yes there is always a need for man power in the military. Don't give me 'if there were a draft...' bs either.

I bet you're not happy about the deficit either right? You are aware that tax cuts add to our deficit right?

It's America, get real. Nobody does anything unless they have to. 5% of Americans own 95% of the wealth, so that means they own more of this country. So yea, they should pay more to keep it maintained. If anything, think about it this way. If you're going to continue to have the common American send his kids off to fight, so that some lunatic like Kim Jong Il doesn't come over here and take your wealth, the least you can do is front the cash.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMePost View Post
So by your logic, all the people that supported the Iraq or Afghanistan war should have all been the first ones to sign up and fight? Cause I sure see a lot of those people walking around everyday, and yes there is always a need for man power in the military. Don't give me 'if there were a draft...' bs either.

I bet you're not happy about the deficit either right? You are aware that tax cuts add to our deficit right?

It's America, get real. Nobody does anything unless they have to. 5% of Americans own 95% of the wealth, so that means they own more of this country. So yea, they should pay more to keep it maintained. If anything, think about it this way. If you're going to continue to have the common American send his kids off to fight, so that some lunatic like Kim Jong Il doesn't come over here and take your wealth, the least you can do is front the cash.
I am aware that spending significantly more than is coming in increases the deficit; and that tax cuts without decreases in spending, compounds the problem. However, we are not talking about tax cuts, we are talking about an Obama tax hike which the Progressive Democrats are trying to force upon a targeted segment of the population. You are aware that without spending there is no way to create debt, right?

I tried to sign up for the armed forces but did not qualify. The decision was out of my control. As a result I actively and financially support the armed forces and our veterans as I can as a civilian. And you?

I don't have much wealth under the proposed tax hike to be taken; however, I do resent the government trying to limit my or anyone elses ability to earn it. Why don't you? Why do you argue those already paying the most to support at even higher levels the 51% who pay no income tax at all?

Old 12-03-2010, 12:24 PM
JPD

Quote:
I tried to sign up for the armed forces but did not qualify. The decision was out of my control. As a result I actively and financially support the armed forces and our veterans as I can as a civilian. And you?
How? By paying your taxes?

Old 12-03-2010, 12:45 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
In otherwords, people favor Obama tax hikes. Especially those who won't be immediately affected or don't pay any income tax at all.

Why doesn't everyone who favors a tax hike just write a check and mail money into the government here: https://www.pay.gov/paygov/forms/for...ormId=23779454

Why don't they use their own $$ instead of trying to hold others at gunpoint for theirs?

I challenge every poster on CD who wants an Obama tax hike to send in 55% of their wealth to the government via the linked website TODAY! If you don't you are nothing but lying hypocrites!

Gosh a post with such substance. Thanks for the truth, some people cannot handle the truth, they are too suck within their GLASS HOSUES. Those who seem to be in favor, are those, who will not be affected, or do not pay income taxes at all. I agree put your money where your MOUTH is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies