Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 05:06 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
YES! And this is why schools should not accept the Federal $$$. Its a small contribution, but it comes with a huge condition. If a school receives one dime of Federal money, they must abide by the federal guidelines. This is ruining our schools. Get the FEDS out of our schools. More money does not equate to better education that is dummied down with incredible indoctrination and control.
AGAIN.

Schools that participate in the national school lunch programs are at least 60% reimbursed for the money they spend on it.

First, the local school spends the money, then the federal government pays them back. Its still federal money. And yeah, I'm all for schools not taking it. They'll go bankrupt most likely, but hopefully they'll make their point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 05:09 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
AGAIN.

Schools that participate in the national school lunch programs are at least 60% reimbursed for the money they spend on it.

First, the local school spends the money, then the federal government pays them back. Its still federal money. And yeah, I'm all for schools not taking it. They'll go bankrupt most likely, but hopefully they'll make their point.
My district does just fine without the feds, thank you.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:09 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Schools are not resturants and don't have to provide food to educate kids. If they do, that's fine and they can have all the restrictions they want. I can feel my own kids.

Bake sales, where people bake food at home and sell it, I could care less about.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
My district does just fine without the feds, thank you.
What schools, if you don't mind me asking. I'd like to know if they participate in the National school lunch program.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:46 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Fat kids are not being parented correctly.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:01 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
What schools, if you don't mind me asking. I'd like to know if they participate in the National school lunch program.
LOL, I've already stated that the district does not supply lunches of any type to anyone. They don't have a kitchen or facilities to supply lunches, but feel free to investigate that yourself since you seem reluctant to believe me.
http://www.d101.org/nonav/WSAugust2.pdf
Welcome to District 101

Quote:
Lunch Program What is the Lunch Program?
The school lunch program, sponsored by the Board of Education and supervised by District 101 employees, is an optional program that allows for children to stay at school for lunch. Children bring their own lunch and eat in the gym. Milk is available for a small fee. Any parent interested in becoming a substitute lunch program attendant or volunteering to help during lunch program should contact the lunch program supervisor, the school principal, or the Board of Education.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
From the article

"It wouldn't apply to after-hours events or concession stands at sports events."

I haven't seen to many bake sales that go on Monday through Friday, 8 to 3.

I think its aimed at bake sales in the lunch room of the schools. If its not on school property, or if its not during school hours, they can sell whatever it is they want. Public school, public money, public dime. That means diet is regulated by the public. I personally am in favor of school vouchers that would allow regular parents to opt out of the public school system, but as for now, this is the system we live in.
From the article:
"The legislation, part of first lady Michelle Obama's campaign to stem childhood obesity, provides more meals at school for needy kids, including dinner, and directs the Agriculture Department to write guidelines to make those meals healthier. The legislation would apply to all foods sold in schools during regular class hours, including in the cafeteria line, vending machines and at fundraisers."

Old 12-03-2010, 06:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Hold the brownies! Bill could limit bake sales - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101203/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_bake_sales - broken link)

Okay. Not the biggest upset of the day. But it is an example of one more way the Federal Government wants to usurp State, Local & Parental Rights via the "Nutrition Program."

Now, the Federal Government (note NOT Local or even State) is trying to limit the number of BAKE SALES a public school may hold in the name of taking hold of your child's nutrition. When are people going to say "No more."

These are OUR children. These are OUR school districts. The managing of education is supposed to be locally mandated. The Federal Government needs to butt out! Now, we will be paying for the monitoring and paperwork involved in this ridiculous plan that will also interfere with traditional fundraising. It will supposedly make our kids healthier at the same time the Federal Government spent $12 million to help Dominoes pizza increase the amount of fattening cheese on its pizza for us! What a waste! What an intrusion!

Get the Government out of our business. Write your congressman. This is not what this country is supposed to be all about. We will never reach the Progressive Utopia. But if they back off, we just may be able to enjoy a small slice of our self-baked pie that we are entitled to under the Constitution.
Bake sales are very cost ineffective. First you are supposed to buy supplies (unreimberesed), and put in your time and labor to bake the crap; then you are expected to support the bake sale by buying stuff from it. There are a lot better ways to make money. I have never seen a bake sale during school hours, either. In fact, my kids' schools didn't do bake sales, IIRC.

Quote:
You can always let them take their own lunch, with all of the brownies they want to eat.
That's right. You can send them a whole bag of brownies if you want.

Quote:
Actually, no. Most funding for public schools comes from local sources i.e., property taxes. My school district only receives 1% of their funds from the feds, 8% from the state, and the remaining 91% is from local property taxes.
As others have said, I don't believe this. Does your state not have some sort of equalization act to equalize spending across districts so there isn't this "rich school, poor school" scenario?

Quote:
If they participate in the national school lunch program, they are either out right lying, or stretching the truth.

I could see them saying that directly the money comes from them, then they are reimbursed for that money later. Still, its federal money.

I've never seen a public school that doesn't participate in the national school lunch program.
Neither have I.

Quote:
Right. And you've never seen a bake sale during school hours on school property either. You need to break out of whatever bubble you're living in and open your eyes... NOT EVERY SCHOOL DISTRICT IS FUNDED THE SAME, PARTICIPATES IN THE SAME FEDERAL PROGRAMS, OR NEEDS/REQUIRES THE SAME OVERSIGHT FROM THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. That's why this should be a LOCAL issue, not a federal one.
Correct. Some states like to promote "rich school, poor school". Not all do it that way. There is no need to yell, either wys.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
So now these kids get breakfast, lunch and dinner.
What are the food stamps being used for at home I wonder ?

Old 12-03-2010, 06:10 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
From the article

"It wouldn't apply to after-hours events or concession stands at sports events."

I haven't seen to many bake sales that go on Monday through Friday, 8 to 3.

I think its aimed at bake sales in the lunch room of the schools. If its not on school property, or if its not during school hours, they can sell whatever it is they want. Public school, public money, public dime. That means diet is regulated by the public. I personally am in favor of school vouchers that would allow regular parents to opt out of the public school system, but as for now, this is the system we live in.
How do you figure that when the baked goods are brought in from outside to sell? Are you suggesting it costs the public school money to allow classes and clubs to hold a bake sale during normal school hours when lights are already on and doors are open?

Usually bake sale funds are used by the classes and clubs holding the bake sales to make up the funding gaps not provided by the "public" at large via property taxes. Those funds help buy sporting uniforms, musical instruments and fund class and club trips. Who is the federal government to stand in the way and limit the potential income produced for scholastic, art, music, and school sporting related activities by restricting foods that can be sold and frequency? Shouldn't that be left to the school and the parents?

Oh, school vouchers are usually at the state level, not federal. If the education system was not ruled by Progressives vouchers might stand a chance but the Department of Public Indoctrination, I mean teachers unions, do not like competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies