Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Should PUBLIC School Graduations Be Held?
It Is OK To Have Them In A Church 23 58.97%
Only In A Secular Setting 15 38.46%
Alternate Every Year; Church One, Secular Next 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:01 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Very common in Atlanta. The problem with doing them in school property is that high schools here are quite large. My daughter's school had like 400 graduates and when you consider that each of them get 6 tickets for family members and then all the faculty, staff and admin that show up, it takes up LOTS of seats and there really is no place at the schools that can seat that many people.

Cherokee fight over graduations at churches could spread across metro Atlanta *| ajc.com
400 students= 800 parents. 2 tickets only, take polaroids for the siblings, extended family threw the parties at home after the ceremony. That's how we solved this locally when I was growing up, and the size of a gymnasium was calculated in terms beyond just sports, but in school graduation capacity. Decided locally makes sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 08:12 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,439 times
I know...have it both ways....those who don't care, have it at the mega church. Those who find the megachurch idea offensive, have it online. Click on "print" to get diploma.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:29 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
Secular sites only.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:36 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Secular sites only.
Unless church services are being held, the auditorium is secular.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:38 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Unless church services are being held, the auditorium is secular.
Except for that gigantic cross, the Christian bible, etc.... and the fact that the money used to rent the sanctuary is used to promote religion.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Except for that gigantic cross, the Christian bible, etc.... and the fact that the money used to rent the sanctuary is used to promote religion.
There aren't always crosses and whatnot everywhere. Maybe a stainted glass window or two. But space is space and if you can hold a church service in a warehouse or school gym (and they do, everywhere, all the time) then you can hold a graduation in church owned property if it's convenient for you.

Nobody is less religious than I, and I didn't burst into flames or feel like I was promoting a church or anything when I went to see performances in a church auditorium.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Here's a shocking proposition. Hold it at the school in question.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:34 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I don't think you realize how large many of these high schools are. I graduated from a suburban Atlanta high school in 2006 and we had a graduating class of 800 (bigger than my college class). Our stadium would not hold the 6 people per graduate, much less the graduates themselves! Plus it's late May which can range from a humid 95 degrees outside to a monsoon. Not smart.

We graduated in the Gwinnett Arena, a venue about an hour away from my house with the traffic. It's an indoor stadium used to house concerts like Lady Gaga, for size reference.
That's very much on par with what I was imagining. My high school was the smallest in my district (2000 kids - about 500 in my graduating class). The largest high school in my district had about 4000 students (at the time I graduated there were 4 high schools, today there are 6). The district football stadium stadium holds about 7000 people, which is more than large enough to accommodate a graduation (there are two stadiums now and the new one is even larger). That 7000 person capacity is about twice as large as the biggest church in Colorado. For my high school graduation the bleachers on the West side of the stadium weren't used at all. In the Denver area there are probably 15 high school football stadiums roughly that size - plus there are many other public facilities of equal or greater size that the state (or city) allows schools to use for graduations (The Colorado Convention Center, Red Rocks amphitheater, multiple facilities at CU Boulder, CU Denver, Metropolitan State College of Denver, Arapahoe county fairgrounds, etc, etc, etc). I would think metro Atlanta has equivalent facilities.

Last edited by hammertime33; 12-04-2010 at 11:43 PM..

Old 12-05-2010, 12:18 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There aren't always crosses and whatnot everywhere. Maybe a stainted glass window or two. But space is space and if you can hold a church service in a warehouse or school gym (and they do, everywhere, all the time) then you can hold a graduation in church owned property if it's convenient for you.

Nobody is less religious than I, and I didn't burst into flames or feel like I was promoting a church or anything when I went to see performances in a church auditorium.
Yes, if you are referring to many auditoriums in large Protestant churches. But Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, Episcopal, etc churches have lots of religious art and altars that would make some people very uncomfortable.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Here's a shocking proposition. Hold it at the school in question.
Wait for it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies