Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 11:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times

Advertisements

In the last month people have celebrated Diwali, Eid, and Hannukah, and in the next month people will celebrate Christmas. Kwanzaa is a cultural holiday, not a religious one. Is it not enough for people to just accept a greeting of goodwill from others, and not be so obsessive about the verbage? Honestly it's silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 11:09 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Yeah, Christ was a bum, and everyone knows it.
Ignorance is bliss, my Friend.

Cheers.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Who cares what the greeting is? By the time you've had 8 Manhattans at the office party and start in on some groping games with the secretaries you shouldn't care if it's Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Kwanza, or Happy Holidays, because pinching her luscious butt is something she'll let you do only once per year.
Hahahahaha!

I very much enjoyed your use of "luscious". Well done.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
There's a reason why they would be liberal and it's not a fault as I think you're implying. I think that the reason why most agnostic or atheist people would complain about Christmas is that they've put two and two together. Liberals excel at independent thought, that's why they are the true agents of social change.
Oh, another elitist....nice. Those committed to independent thought UNITE!

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 12-04-2010 at 11:28 PM..

Old 12-04-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post
It is amazing that the people that know the most about religion are either atheist or agnostic. Jesus wasn't born on the 25th of December even though that is the day that we celebrate his birth. Christmas also has nothing to do with Santa Clause or Christmas trees just like Easter has nothing to do with the Easter bunny or eggs. At least the the Europeans (who happen to be more secular in nature) put up a nativity scene in lieu of Christmas trees. You are failing to understand that these "false" adaptations of the holiday are for one thing only... making money. This is America and Americans will do almost anything to make money, even if that means to exploit a religious holiday for financial gain. Now for the tie in. "Happy Holidays" is yet another example of a politically correct insertion in order to offend the least amount of people to "make that sale". This is why business' are forced to say it even though they may want to say "Merry Christmas".

One can also construe that this happens in the more "liberal" states of America and less so in "middle" America. After-all, most consumer spending happens on the coast where the population is more "colorful" and "diverse" with more people to accommodate and appease so that they may feel that much more inclined to make that "purchase".
Thank you for that incredibly insightful lesson. You mean Jesus wasn't born on the 25th of December?

But that's what they teach in church, right? Yeh, not quite, Bud.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:43 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Edge View Post
I cannot believe how most Americans greet people as "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" during the Christmas season.

You celebrate the holidays for Christmas, not for anything else. I know there are are non-major holidays in December, such as Hanukkah... but we're not in Israel !
You do not say Happy Holidays for other holidays - it's only during Christmas season.

I know not everybody celebrate Christmas, but 97% of Americans do.
Just because we have nearly 2% Jews in America doesn't mean we have to change our world holiday greeting to Happy Holidays !

In Europe, millions of muslims lives there, but people still greet them Merry Christmas.

Who cares if they get offended? This is America, a by far majority Christian nation. I don't think people in Israel would get about changing their holidays and greeting for the Christian ones'

Don't get me wrong, nothing against the jews... I have many jewish friends. But right thing should be done.
Don't greet the Jews Merry Christmas if you are scared of them. BUT DO NOT CHANGE GREETINGS ON STORES TO HAPPY HOLIDAYS WHEN YOU KNOW IT'S FOR CHRISTMAS !

"Holiday cards, Holiday tree, Holiday lights, Holiday sales" - I mean it must be a joke!
It's the Holidays (quite a few), thus "Happy Holidays."

When it is Christmas (one day) then you can say "Merry Christmas."

Old 12-05-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
In the last month people have celebrated Diwali, Eid, and Hannukah, and in the next month people will celebrate Christmas. Kwanzaa is a cultural holiday, not a religious one. Is it not enough for people to just accept a greeting of goodwill from others, and not be so obsessive about the verbage? Honestly it's silly.
No doubt. I may say either at given time, with no real thought, because the intention is to wish somebody well and that's it.

A couple of years ago I told a lady behind the counter "Merry Christmas" and she went out of her way to thank me for saying that. Me...of all people (who isn't too fond of religion), I thought it was hilarious. But it meant something to her, so I told her she was quite welcome and went on my way. I could have just as easily said "Holidays" but just happened to say "Xmas."

People think too much, and get offended way too easily.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Edge View Post
I cannot believe how most Americans greet people as "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" during the Christmas season.

You celebrate the holidays for Christmas, not for anything else. I know there are are non-major holidays in December, such as Hanukkah... but we're not in Israel !
You do not say Happy Holidays for other holidays - it's only during Christmas season.

I know not everybody celebrate Christmas, but 97% of Americans do.
Just because we have nearly 2% Jews in America doesn't mean we have to change our world holiday greeting to Happy Holidays !

In Europe, millions of muslims lives there, but people still greet them Merry Christmas.

Who cares if they get offended? This is America, a by far majority Christian nation. I don't think people in Israel would get about changing their holidays and greeting for the Christian ones'

Don't get me wrong, nothing against the jews... I have many jewish friends. But right thing should be done.
Don't greet the Jews Merry Christmas if you are scared of them. BUT DO NOT CHANGE GREETINGS ON STORES TO HAPPY HOLIDAYS WHEN YOU KNOW IT'S FOR CHRISTMAS !

"Holiday cards, Holiday tree, Holiday lights, Holiday sales" - I mean it must be a joke!
Must Conservatives rehash this foolishness every Christmas season? If you wanna say Merry Christmas, then say it!! But why make a big deal about it? People take this stuff too seriously.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Must Conservatives rehash this foolishness every Christmas season? If you wanna say Merry Christmas, then say it!! But why make a big deal about it? People take this stuff too seriously.

It's just one more opportunity to play the victim I guess. Like you said, it's a sure thing annually.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:57 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times
I don't want to go through 12 pages to see if this has already been brought up, but it's Merry Yule, not Christmas.

I don't really care what people term it (I, for the record, call it Christmas out of convenience, but you will not see one nativity scene, hear one prayer, see one religious symbol, or see one overtly religious movie in my home during that time period), but I do start to get annoyed when people trot out their bumper stickers that say "It's Merry CHRIST-mas" or some other such complete crap. For all the whining the religious whackjobs do about them not being included properly regarding things that have nothing to do with their Invisible Sky Fairy, they sure do go out of their way to force others INTO their whole structure. I just saw a news story about some Christian group whining about a company here in town removing "Christmas Trees" to be more diverse and accepting, expressing outrage that the Christians are being excluded from "their own holiday" by the removal of the trees.

And the only thought that came to my mind? "IT'S A YULE LOG, YOU MORONS. It's not even Christian related!". But of course, that just can't be said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies