Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 05:46 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

But, but I just saw an ad on TV last night so it must be true. Lincoln was too busy protecting the US from vampires taking over the country.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:50 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Just how does a black person "know" they were originally from Africa?

Did they have DNA tests, Mitochondrial DNA tests?

How do we know where the African tribesmen got the black people to sell to the white people....

Or did they just look in a mirror and think "I'm black so I must be from Africa"

Who knows what America would now be like without "African-Americans"?

No deficit? No hip-hop music? We wouldn't see people walking around holding up their pants?
Tell me the truth. This is not a rhetorical question. Are you saying that you don't want Blacks in this country?

Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
They would have had to pick their own cotton post slavery.
No jazz,rock and roll.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
They would have had to pick their own cotton post slavery.
No jazz,rock and roll.
No R&B either. I love the music made by Earth Wind and Fire, Stevie Wonder, and Michael Jackson.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:09 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No R&B either. I love the music made by Earth Wind and Fire, Stevie Wonder, and Michael Jackson.
It goes much deeper than that even. Without African Americans, the American songbook may as well be used for toilet paper.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It goes much deeper than that even. Without African Americans, the American songbook may as well be used for toilet paper.
Much deeper, of course, but I was just giving some examples.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:02 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Much deeper, of course, but I was just giving some examples.
If the slaves had been sent back to Africa, they would have suffered extreme cruilty from those that had sold them to the slave traders. The slaves were just as much a part of the US as any white person was, probably more even. Their hard work was not done by the white slave owners. It would have been cruel to them to send them back to a country and contintent many did not know any more. The original citizens of this continent we call North America were not even granted full rights here and still suffer from persecution. If anyone should have been sent back, it should have been all the Eurepean usurpers of this land.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 AM

347 posts, read 695,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Interesting. So, blacks left the segregated American world to go to another world that was even more segregated by other blacks.
Why is that interesting? Race in no way connotes culture. If the American blacks had a different culture to the
blacks in Africa what else would one expect to happen?
It kills me how whites are allowed to have great diversity of culture but when other races exhibit that then it's "interesting" or "surprising". Just as you wouldn't expect a 8th generation Pennsylvania family of Dutch heritage to fit in with the whites of let's say Argentina or Hungary why would one expect African Americans to somehow "fit in" in Africa ( which is a massive diverse continent by the way).

Old 10-27-2012, 09:01 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,871 times
Umm, whoooo cares what it would be like? I mean do you also wonder what the U.S. would be like if Whites went back to Europe?

Old 11-01-2012, 10:14 AM

I think there is an undercurrent of the population that genuinely wants Black people sent to Africa. That is no surprise. Lincoln wanted to do this. After the Black slaves were freed, there was a feeling of "the newly freed slaves will be nothing but trouble". Former President Lincoln wasn't the only person to get rid of America's Black population. Think about Planned Parenthood. Margaret Sanger wanted to get rid of the Black population via "birth control", but it was really genocide.

Ever since the abolition of slavery, many people wanted to get rid of the Black population. There are people today who still feel this way. The reason is that there are people who view, or who have viewed Black people as "useless" or as "surplus population". People who think like this often feel that the USA would be better off without Blacks.

This is the way I see it. It was Black slaves doing much of the hard labor, and not getting paid for it. Cotton picked by slaves in the South went to the mills in northern cities. Sugar cane chopped by slaves went to make rum and molasses. Tobacco, well, obviously, it was for smoking. Alot of wealth during those times came from slave labor. Fortunes were made in textiles, shipbuilding, and other industries because of slavery. Ships were built for shipping slaves. Alot of wealth that was being built in America before the abolition of slavery was because of slavery. Slaves were the ones doing the hard labor picking the raw materials.

Last edited by green_mariner; 11-01-2012 at 10:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies