Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 05:10 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
For those of you that have studied the civil war at the college level or are one of those blue collar history buffs that loves history you are probably aware of the fact that Abraham Lincoln wanted to not only free the slaves but he wanted to send them back to Africa as he felt even after slavery was abolished the black man would still always be at a great disadvantage in this country due to the roots of slavery. In the end He was met with enormous opposition and eventually let the matter go.

My question is what do you think Africa would be like today had the majority of the slaves been released back to the mother land.
Your question can be answered by looking at Liberia which is an American colony for former slaves. It is a mixed bag. They seemed to have grasped the idea of democracy but their economy is not very good.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Your question can be answered by looking at Liberia which is an American colony for former slaves. It is a mixed bag. They seemed to have grasped the idea of democracy but their economy is not very good.
Liberia has had problems because it was never considered that there were already people living there. In Africa, there is a big emphasis on what your tribe is. Black Americans are exactly that, Americans. They are going to Africa, specifically Liberia, as Americans. Tensions between the original inhabitants and Black Americans were very high. Most natives were poor, and resented Americans Blacks, and felt like a majority dominated by a minority. This has been a source of contention. It is important to look at Liberia's history.

History of Liberia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Liberia has only recently been at peace. It is going to take some time for Liberia to get its economy rolling.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:05 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Liberia has had problems because it was never considered that there were already people living there. In Africa, there is a big emphasis on what your tribe is. Black Americans are exactly that, Americans. They are going to Africa, specifically Liberia, as Americans. Tensions between the original inhabitants and Black Americans were very high. Most natives were poor, and resented Americans Blacks, and felt like a majority dominated by a minority. This has been a source of contention. It is important to look at Liberia's history.

History of Liberia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Liberia has only recently been at peace. It is going to take some time for Liberia to get its economy rolling.
No what happened is that American Blacks promptly treated the Africans the same way they were treated by Whites in America, with disdain. Can't say I blame the American Blacks too much, Liberia hosts some of the most backward tribes in West Africa.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
No what happened is that American Blacks promptly treated the Africans the same way they were treated by Whites in America, with disdain. Can't say I blame the American Blacks too much, Liberia hosts some of the most backward tribes in West Africa.
Didn't I just post a link about Liberia's history and what happened. I was giving a synopsis. The link was suppose to be the whole thing.

And aren't your parents from Africa?

Old 11-26-2012, 11:09 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
I think the only reason Liberia never materialized into the next "America" is because the African-Americans who settled the area never implemented the very same system of genocide, trade and subjugation that allowed the US to develope into what it is today, just as the whites had done here with the natives and the black imported slaves.

Sure the AAs there enslaved the indigenous Africans there, but they didn't wipe them out completely, confine them to "reservations" and then import a new subjugated foreign class of free laborers.

The missing piece to Liberia's development was the massive amount of "free labor" with a trinagular system of trade (the British model), profit and capitalism, plus they didn't maim, rape and pilege the local population into extinction (I guess they had a heart).

If the whites had of NOT imported slaves from Africa, the US would probably resemble Liberia albeit with a majority white population.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I think the only reason Liberia never materialized into the next "America" is because the African-Americans who settled the area never implemented the very same system of genocide, trade and subjugation that allowed the US to develope into what it is today, just as the whites had done here with the natives and the black imported slaves.

Sure the AAs there enslaved the indigenous Africans there, but they didn't wipe them out completely, confine them to "reservations" and then import a new subjugated foreign class of free laborers.

The missing piece to Liberia's development was the massive amount of "free labor" with a trinagular system of trade (the British model), profit and capitalism, plus they didn't maim, rape and pilege the local population into extinction (I guess they had a heart).

If the whites had of NOT imported slaves from Africa, the US would probably resemble Liberia albeit with a majority white population.
Saying all of this, what does this add up to?

Old 11-26-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Didn't I just post a link about Liberia's history and what happened. I was giving a synopsis. The link was suppose to be the whole thing.

And aren't your parents from Africa?
Yes they are and you have about as much connection to Liberia as they do. Wiki's good in a pinch but it's not the entire story. Besides you left out the relevant parts you know the part where African-Americans "victimized" other people. I guess these African Americans were able to overcome their debilitating existence being descended from slaves only to essentially enslave others.

You see how that works? You see why I give you grief about this crutch African Americans have about their ancestors being slaves?

Old 11-26-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post

This is not wholly accurate, as recently as the 1930s Liberia was condemned by the UN as enslaving Africans on rubber plantations. Africans were confined to various areas of settlement. Americo-Liberians were just poor financial managers, kind of like what Detroit is today. They were no better or worse than White Americans in regards to human rights violations.

Also immigrants from the Caribbean, Middle East and even India came to Liberia.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Yes they are and you have about as much connection to Liberia as they do. Wiki's good in a pinch but it's not the entire story. Besides you left out the relevant parts you know the part where African-Americans "victimized" other people. I guess these African Americans were able to overcome their debilitating existence being descended from slaves only to essentially enslave others.

You see how that works? You see why I give you grief about this crutch African Americans have about their ancestors being slaves?
Well, what about you? You come here and basically talk down on African-Americans.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:52 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,671 times
I think a more interesting question is, what would america look like today if blacks had somehow taken over and wiped out whitey. the answer to that is, it'd look exactly like Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies