Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm of Irish decent. You could send me back to Limerick or Galway based on my mother/father's ancestory.

Ask a self proclaimed "African American" about their African heritage and you most likely get a "deer in the headlights" look from them.

I don't go around proclaiming I'm "Irish American", I say just American.

Don't claim you're "African" American if you don't know that your heritage even goes back to Africa. It's become a loose catch phrase for Blacks that many can't talk to unlike Irish Americans, Japanese Americans, Italian Americans, etc.

Most immigrants from Europe came here freely and stayed in their family units and passed down their family stories and heritage.
Africans in that period did not.

You cannot compare the two..that is not apples to apples comparison.
that is about one of the dumbest things i have ever read.

African americans dont know what country we are from because we didnt immigrate here, our ancestors were brought here on slave ships.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:09 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Stole? They bought them like everyone else. If we send them back they'd end up with their african slave masters again, but I suspect many would be free until they were rounded up again and shipped somewhere else.
they bought some , the rest were stolen..and why are you taking up for horrible slave masters and genocidal thieving (that whole native american thing) maniacs?

Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Stole? They bought them like everyone else. If we send them back they'd end up with their african slave masters again, but I suspect many would be free until they were rounded up again and shipped somewhere else.
Just the same, Black slaves didn't choose to come to America. They were uprooted and brought to the USA by force.

And just to clarify, there were quite a few raids off of the West African coast where Blacks were kidnapped.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The way I see it, we are often products of our environment. I have never been in a place where malaria was endemic. If I, a Black American, were to go to a place where malaria is endemic, and I'm not used to it, I better have shots and medicine in me. Otherwise, I would get sick.

I wouldn't say genetics plays a role so much as being used to the environment. If some Europeans stayed in particular parts of Africa, I suspect after a few generations there would be an immunity to malaria and other diseases. I say it has alot more to do with what a person is used to.
I wasn't meaning genetics so much as this. Mothers pass on a certain degree of active immunity to their babies but this isn't likely to effect the next generation unless the disease does. So while first generation slaves might give a slight edge to their children, it won't in the end help many generations later.

Genetics can, however, effect disease and one's ability to fight it.

There is a little town in England, which became very important in solving the lifecycle of the aids virus. But what called attention to it was the old records of the black death. People did die of it there, but in vastly smaller numbers and many there either did not get sick or survived it. Given that small villages then were self maintaining, that their genetic traits would have been reinforced rather than diluted, they went looking for something unusual but common and found a mutation in one gene, which in itself did nothing. But it would have interfered in the progress of the plague. It also slows the development of aids and in some cases stops it. This turned out to be a key to the nature of the disease.

It's mostly found in one small village, but if it was common in larger populations could also work.

No doubt, those who were less succeptable for combined reasons to local disease lived longer and had more children. Take those children across the seas, mix their dna with far distant areas and its effect will be far less though it may still have a small effect.

Its like the thread on hygene through the ages. Other ages some people lived through horrible conditions fine, because they grew up there. The ones that couldn't didn't grow up. Transplant us there and we'd be in a bad place real quick since we hadn't encountered that before.

Migration and disease and die out of species have gone together long before us. One of the major die outs of dinosauars was when land bridges formed and animals who had never met ran into each other, each bringing their local disease.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:56 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
that is about one of the dumbest things i have ever read.

African americans dont know what country we are from because we didnt immigrate here, our ancestors were brought here on slave ships.
I agree that is the dumbest sh** that I have heard today

Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I wasn't meaning genetics so much as this. Mothers pass on a certain degree of active immunity to their babies but this isn't likely to effect the next generation unless the disease does. So while first generation slaves might give a slight edge to their children, it won't in the end help many generations later.

Genetics can, however, effect disease and one's ability to fight it.

There is a little town in England, which became very important in solving the lifecycle of the aids virus. But what called attention to it was the old records of the black death. People did die of it there, but in vastly smaller numbers and many there either did not get sick or survived it. Given that small villages then were self maintaining, that their genetic traits would have been reinforced rather than diluted, they went looking for something unusual but common and found a mutation in one gene, which in itself did nothing. But it would have interfered in the progress of the plague. It also slows the development of aids and in some cases stops it. This turned out to be a key to the nature of the disease.

It's mostly found in one small village, but if it was common in larger populations could also work.

No doubt, those who were less succeptable for combined reasons to local disease lived longer and had more children. Take those children across the seas, mix their dna with far distant areas and its effect will be far less though it may still have a small effect.

Its like the thread on hygene through the ages. Other ages some people lived through horrible conditions fine, because they grew up there. The ones that couldn't didn't grow up. Transplant us there and we'd be in a bad place real quick since we hadn't encountered that before.

Migration and disease and die out of species have gone together long before us. One of the major die outs of dinosauars was when land bridges formed and animals who had never met ran into each other, each bringing their local disease.
The question is this: How much of a role does genetics play?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I agree that is the dumbest sh** that I have heard today
It shows that there are alot of people who still don't understand or care what kind of struggle Blacks in America have gone through. If Blacks had not gone through such an ordeal, we might know what specific nations and tribes we descended from.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:04 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
they bought some , the rest were stolen..and why are you taking up for horrible slave masters and genocidal thieving (that whole native american thing) maniacs?
Slavery was a thriving business in africa. When they weren't selling their own people into slavery to foreign countries they were slaves in their own country. Maybe you should update your history lessons from what you learned in 3rd grade.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:46 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Slavery was a thriving business in africa. When they weren't selling their own people into slavery to foreign countries they were slaves in their own country. Maybe you should update your history lessons from what you learned in 3rd grade.

Yes and no. Yes, Africans sold slaves to the Europeans and slavery wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for various African nations supporting it. No because in Africa, slavery was more indentured servitude than plantation life. Slaves could be in the military, would have their families kept together and the children of slaves were not usually made slaves themselves. Some African nations were rough, like Dahomey, were slaves were often sacrificed, but other places like the Ashanti Empire and the Hausa states were different.

That, and being sold into slavery was also a way of punishing criminals. Murderers and thieves were usually sold to the Europeans. My male line has a big chunk of Hausa DNA, and they were not usually the victims of raids but punished their criminals with slavery. Hence, it is safe to assume I'm the distant of a Hausa criminal who was sold to the British as punishment.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:20 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It shows that there are alot of people who still don't understand or care what kind of struggle Blacks in America have gone through. If Blacks had not gone through such an ordeal, we might know what specific nations and tribes we descended from.
It is really ironic that many whites are quick to say "I did not own slaves" and "what does that have to do with today" do not fully understand the real affects of slavery and the constant reinforcement of racist laws and politics that has kept many blacks from catching up to their white counterparts. If blacks after slavery was abolished were not discriminated there would not be as much racial disparity as there is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies