Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:03 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Don't claim you're "African" American if you don't know that your heritage even goes back to Africa.

Huh?

Where do you think Black Americans come from, Greenland? Every Black American's heritage goes back to Africa, pretty much categorically.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
I'm of Irish decent. You could send me back to Limerick or Galway based on my mother/father's ancestory.

Ask a self proclaimed "African American" about their African heritage and you most likely get a "deer in the headlights" look from them.

I don't go around proclaiming I'm "Irish American", I say just American.

Don't claim you're "African" American if you don't know that your heritage even goes back to Africa. It's become a loose catch phrase for Blacks that many can't talk to unlike Irish Americans, Japanese Americans, Italian Americans, etc.

Most immigrants from Europe came here freely and stayed in their family units and passed down their family stories and heritage.
Africans in that period did not.

You cannot compare the two..that is not apples to apples comparison.
1. Nonsense. You'd be just as lost in Ireland as i'd be in Nigeria.

2. The same "deer in the headlights" look that you get from most white Americans in this country when referring to their origins? Most have no stinking idea...which is why so many claim dumb s**t like "i'm part Cherokee"...and foolisheness like that.

3. Black folks don't care what you call yourself. That's your business.

4. Who the hell are you to tell African Americans what to call themselves? I'm an African American....get used to it. Whether you like it or not is your business...not mine. What, you're an overseer or something? LOL!

5. What European Immigrants did is beside the point and as an African American, i couldn't care less. Africans couldn't share their experiences, culture, language and such because they weren't the SAME PEOPLE!! They were from different tribes, spoke different languages and had different cultures.

6. You're right...you can't compare the two.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post

Huh?

Where do you think Black Americans come from, Greenland? Every Black American's heritage goes back to Africa, pretty much categorically.
I know, right? Let'em talk long enough and you can't believe the things that come out.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:50 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
After 241 years they were not culturally African anymore. It took roughly 100 more years before they would be accepted a American. 341 years of limbo is a disenfranchisement period of biblical proportions.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,366 times
It is in my opinion that the united states would be a completley different place if they had of sent the freed slaves back to there homeland. There should of been a greater effort to keep the two races seperate from eachother, however way you want to look at it, yes it was a great shame what happened, but the headache of it all will not be going away anytime soon, this is not a time for what ifs!!I got my opinion what america would look like if lincoln had not been shot, and if his talks with govenors all down the coastlines had of continued. But I also understand what a kick in the nuts in must feel like to be hearing : oh we just should of sent them back on the slave ships: I would not want to hear that. Now it might of worked a little easier 200 years ago, where groups of africans could make that choice, and have family to greet them, but those days are gone. Thats the worst thing that happened to America is when Lincoln was shot, cause he left a verry important matter of buisness unfinished. And at its core lay the problems of its nation!!!

Old 10-20-2012, 08:50 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Sadly, I'm going to have to call this post as I see it... naive.

Perhaps the biggest error is making the assumption that America would have or want ANYTHING to do with blacks the moment they didn't have to see them, which they already didn't anyway thanks to Jim Crow. There is absolutely nothing that suggests America would have even considered going through the trouble of spending the $ to ship them back. Once Lincoln died, that idea died too. And who's to say that the English-speaking black Americans would be welcomed with open arms by the rest of Africa anyway?

This post is very naive.
Agree on this.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:41 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
I'm of Irish decent. You could send me back to Limerick or Galway based on my mother/father's ancestory.

Ask a self proclaimed "African American" about their African heritage and you most likely get a "deer in the headlights" look from them.

I don't go around proclaiming I'm "Irish American", I say just American.

Don't claim you're "African" American if you don't know that your heritage even goes back to Africa. It's become a loose catch phrase for Blacks that many can't talk to unlike Irish Americans, Japanese Americans, Italian Americans, etc.

Most immigrants from Europe came here freely and stayed in their family units and passed down their family stories and heritage.
Africans in that period did not.

You cannot compare the two..that is not apples to apples comparison.
I claim to be African because I see one when I look in the mirror. I claim American because that is where I was born. Just because I don't know where in Africa I originate from doesn't negate my DNA. You can't tell me whether or not I can claim Africa. Nor can any African, for that matter.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:45 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Just how does a black person "know" they were originally from Africa?

Did they have DNA tests, Mitochondrial DNA tests?

How do we know where the African tribesmen got the black people to sell to the white people....

Or did they just look in a mirror and think "I'm black so I must be from Africa"

Who knows what America would now be like without "African-Americans"?

No deficit? No hip-hop music? We wouldn't see people walking around holding up their pants?

Old 10-20-2012, 09:56 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
No deficit? No hip-hop music? We wouldn't see people walking around holding up their pants?
Well, we'd definitely still have NASCAR, Wonder bread, and people with more tattoos than teeth.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:02 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Well, we'd definitely still have NASCAR, Wonder bread, and people with more tattoos than teeth.
Do you like to go off on ludicrous tangents that have nothing to do with the topic of the OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies