Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 12:02 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
If they used that money to address our deficits than that would be great, but do you think they would actually do that?
No, Obama already said it would go to fund new programs (entitlement ones of course).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 12:02 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,460,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
If they used that money to address our deficits than that would be great, but do you think they would actually do that?
Possibly yes. Depends if we could eliminate the petty bickering over bull**** and actually had an "adult" conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, Obama already said it would go to fund new programs (entitlement ones of course).
Now you're just making stuff up again.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:05 AM

764 posts, read 1,556,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Possibly yes. Depends if we could eliminate the petty bickering over bull**** and actually had an "adult" conversation.

Now you're just making stuff up again.
Obama's own budget commision said we need to cut entitlements and democrats were furious, i think their ideas were a good compromise for both sides, but like you said, too much bickering. Regardless, i dont believe democrats would EVER cut spending. I would like to hear you reasons why you believe otherwise.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:06 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Funny...you sure walk like a duck...
I know this is complex for someone like you but there are a lot of people out there who aren't Democrats and (gasp) aren't Republicans either! Imagine that, some people are smart enough to know that people like you are wrong but so are the people you constantly bash all while being laughed at from the sidelines.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:08 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Where do you think the money for the Dream Act would come from?

Old 12-04-2010, 12:17 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,017 times
The tax cuts haven't had their desired effect. That's clear. They haven't produced jobs and they haven't perceptibly stimulated the economy. The only job growth during the past decade has been in the public sector. The private sector has remained flat for a decade. Personally, I don't think that they have helped/hurt that much except that they have helped to foster an even greater wealth disparity, which IS an undeniable problem.

However, a compromise shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. Maybe the tax cuts could be extended until 2012, with the caveat that so many American jobs are generated in that time frame and/or unemployment falls below 8%. If that doesn't happen, we might as well phase them out and use that money toward reducing the deficit.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:54 AM

504 posts, read 456,793 times
Good gawd there is so much mis-information in this thread there is nowhere to start. There has to be a certain level of understood facts in order to have a coherent discussion. Republicans have been trying to gut this country ever since Reagan. A republican hasnt been truthful since the republican debates between Bush Sr. and Reagan. Bush Sr. called Reagans garbage VOO-DOO economics and Bush Sr. had the best intrests of the country on his mind when he went against his promise and raised Taxes. The country survived and the Clinton Presidency benefitted from this responsible move. Then Ol Bill Stabbed us in the back with Republicn help with NAFTA CAFTA and GAT.

Trickle down economics dont work for the middle class. Do you not get that yet?

Old 12-04-2010, 01:41 AM

613 posts, read 1,054,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
When 47 % of the population pays $0 taxes, it's time for the tax cuts to expire. thank goodness that I can itemize a lot of deductions so that the gov't doesn't 100% skrew me over. All of those families with the kids ($1000 deductions) need to start paying up.
Thats a lie. Income taxes only make up 43% of the goverments revenue. The rich pay most of that because they save their money rather than spend it. The other 57% of the gov. revenue come from sales tax and property taxes which mostly the middle class and poor pay becuase most of the country is in that tax bracket. Thats why they get income tax breaks becuase the spend most of it so the gov. gets more money.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:21 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,978,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Democrats are evil, envious fools by nature. They don't care about the middle class, they want anyone who makes more than they do to pay most of their tax burden.

Evil by nature, envious fools? Born into eh, don't care about the middle class?

A lot of problems were from the financial institutions, I'd like to take a look at the list of politicians who owned thousands of shares in their portfolios , I'd bet most of them got word and got out before the collapse taking their millions with them, leaving the middle class who had some monies in S out of luck.

The market is being manipulated also right now, who do you think is doing that? The middle class or the poor? I don't think so..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies