Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 12:43 AM

324 posts, read 572,457 times

Advertisements

To many, race works like politics. You have a liberal democrat and a conservative republican and you are able to identify their beliefs, religious backgrounds, educational background, economic class and their overall lifestyles based on that ONE label. It's easy to do and in many cases the characteristics of that label, liberal or a conservative, seem to be true.

Although can race really work that way? Some individuals try. Well, many try. How about THE MAJORITY of this country try. They try and in some cases they are right but in many cases they fail.

Race is complex. Race is so complex because one can't give the TRUE meaning of race. Sure, there are black people, there are white people, there are asian people and there are hispanic people. Although, what does that mean. Really. What does that mean?

Race is so widely discussed because race does not have a definite answer. The concept and "idea" of race was formulated based on a question not an answer.

Race SHOULD NOT define who a person is.

Now let us all give it a rest. Some people deserve a break..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 01:05 AM

254 posts, read 590,708 times
Race is usually tied with a social, economic, educational and historic background... which leads to stereotypes.

The "problem" here is that racial mixture in the world has not always existed, it was caused by migration, transportation, colonization. With that came slavery, wars and culture imposition. A race will commonly share the same type of issues, and people of the same condition tend to gather together, and as such different races start to look as they share the same beliefs when this is not driven by the color of your skin but more by the history behind you.

Race should not define who a person is, but we cannot wipe out the past that easily. In the US this concept starts to get blurry as the conditions of different races start to become equal, but only time can heal...

Old 12-04-2010, 01:12 AM

324 posts, read 572,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
Race is usually tied with a social, economic, educational and historic background... which leads to stereotypes.

The "problem" here is that racial mixture in the world has not always existed, it was caused by migration, transportation, colonization. With that came slavery, wars and culture imposition. A race will commonly share the same type of issues, and people of the same condition tend to gather together, and as such different races start to look as they share the same beliefs when this is not driven by the color of your skin but more by the history behind you.

Race should not define who a person is, but we cannot wipe out the past that easily. In the US this concept starts to get blurry as the conditions of different races start to become equal, but only time can heal...
Well, I guess I'm screwed either way then. Isn't that lovely.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:34 AM

254 posts, read 590,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
Well, I guess I'm screwed either way then. Isn't that lovely.
Huh? What do you mean?

Well, I was not trying to be pessimistic, but stating on how I believe race is very tied to historical background... let the appropriate time pass by and the "bad" memories will go away, provided the correct environment.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:55 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Does Race Define us?
Do you think the White Farmer in Missouri has more in common with
1. A white lawyer from San Francisco
2. A Latino Gang Banger from San Antonio
3. A Black Farmer from Arkansas

you just answered your own question

Old 12-04-2010, 03:35 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
it SHOULDNT...

but unfortunatly to many it still does.

(as for above, i choose #3)

Old 12-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,198,570 times
Heres my two cents...

Race doesn't define us... but how we define ourselves - does...
Each person defines themselves based on a belief system... if you look in the mirror and you say "I am a black person, because black people are or do xyz..." then you have JUST defined yourself as a black person... if you look in the mirror and say "i have 2 eyes, a great smile, am a good person, etc ..." then clearly you are NOT defining yourself by race.

case in point... I have asthma... it is a condition... i am NOT asthmatic because that would be a definition of WHO I am...

Old 12-05-2010, 01:51 AM

719 posts, read 2,665,741 times
brb eating tacos

Old 12-05-2010, 07:35 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Many factors end up "defining" us: location, background, economic class, so many different elements. Race to a degree only in that depending on where you are and who is around you, it can alter your life experience to a point where it contributes to your definition. With politicians, $$$ defines what they say they believe (their definition, at least the external one of themselves).

Old 12-05-2010, 07:58 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
To many, race works like politics. You have a liberal democrat and a conservative republican and you are able to identify their beliefs, religious backgrounds, educational background, economic class and their overall lifestyles based on that ONE label. It's easy to do and in many cases the characteristics of that label, liberal or a conservative, seem to be true.

Although can race really work that way? Some individuals try. Well, many try. How about THE MAJORITY of this country try. They try and in some cases they are right but in many cases they fail.

Race is complex. Race is so complex because one can't give the TRUE meaning of race. Sure, there are black people, there are white people, there are asian people and there are hispanic people. Although, what does that mean. Really. What does that mean?

Race is so widely discussed because race does not have a definite answer. The concept and "idea" of race was formulated based on a question not an answer.

Race SHOULD NOT define who a person is.

Now let us all give it a rest. Some people deserve a break..
Last time I checked we were all homo sapiens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies