Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 05:58 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Schumer's proposal raised the cutoff to $1million. Also defeated.
The Senate defended those who employ other americans. Why do you support putting people out of work by raising taxes on these very same individuals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 06:41 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Yes it does, that's the entire point of research. People do research at the current time and then write about it. More time passes and then new data is analyzed, then they report on it.

Summers didn't advocate for ending unemployment insurance during his time in the White House and isn't even now outside of the White House. You're picking one thing Summers said from 1999 to validate your viewpoint, while blindly ignoring the facts that Moody's, one of the most respected in macro-economics, is saying right now based on the facts on the ground.

Don't be silly the behavior of people doesn't change. Are you suggesting that some how over the last 10 years motivators of human behavior have changed? You certainly can't support that view. Most research doesn't have an expiration date and only becomes invalid when new research supplants it.

LOL and you are hanging your hat on a Moody's study and ignoring Summer.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:44 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
The only thing "ridiculous", is that some people actually think that Palin is qualified to be President, much less electable?

Steve

There were a whole lot of people who thought Obama was qualified to be President too. I bet they feel ridiculous now.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:47 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If the Dems had any guts- which they don't- they would simply pass the thing for people under $250K and go home. Leave it to the Republicans to make the choice on raising taxes on everybody or just the rich. But the Dems have no courage so they will blink as they always do.
Fail. This lame duck Congress still has a Democrat majority. Can't blame it on the Repblicans.

An honest thread title would have read: Democrats fail at two attempts to raise taxes on those earning $250K or more while leaving the current lower tax rate in place for all others.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:55 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Sure did, the dems tried to be the bigger people reaching far across the isle with an alternate bill extending tax cuts to all making under a million a year, the right rejected it. This ladies and gentlemen is case in point the republicans don't give a damn about anyone except their big business millionaire and billionaire cronies.
As logical as one would believe your argument to be about GOP loving only the big business cronies, you're mistaken. Have you ever noticed how the super-rich are typically Democrats? I wonder why? Oh, but then I know. So to keep you from wondering, let's check to see who actually caused the recession and who got bailed out. Let's start with the Wall Street Banks and Bankers, then we can go across the spectrum of oligopolistic industries including the military industrial complex. You can also note the wealthy deceivers such as Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and why not include Charlie Rangel.

The main source of GOP support and interaction actually is amongst the entreprenural business people. Those of us who are sick and tired of being punished for hiring people. It is we, the closely held business families that are the GOP. That is why I carry a TEA bag in my wallet. That is why the TEA parties are so effectively changing the political profiles of every government in America.

I recommend you not take my word for it, but that you actually open your eyes to truly study rather than accepting the verbiage of some radical who doesn't like you or America.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:10 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones 1999 View Post
WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Senate on Saturday defeated two attempts by Democrats to extend the Bush-era tax cuts for the middle classes permanently...
How can this be possible?

Weren't all the Bush era tax cuts characterized as "tax cuts for the rich?"

Old 12-04-2010, 07:18 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
It's amazing the stupid people who continue vote for the Repulsives because they "SAY"they want to cut taxes......they are two-faced, obstructionist liars who hate America....I thought they wanted to give tax breaks?!!! THEY DON'T...they continue their attack on the middle class...what vicious, anti-American jerks....and like attracts.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
It's amazing the stupid people who continue vote for the Repulsives because they "SAY"they want to cut taxes......they are two-faced, obstructionist liars who hate America....I thought they wanted to give tax breaks?!!! THEY DON'T...they continue their attack on the middle class...what vicious, anti-American jerks....and like attracts.
^^^^My, my, that is quite the rant! Hate much?

Give your blood pressure a break and try logic:

Do you not see a problem with allowing Congress and the President to target certain poplulations and grant lower taxes or force higher taxes on only "certain" groups as a way to buy votes? Do you not see the corruption this breeds?

If one were to be fair wouldn't leaving taxes the same for everyone, or raising them on everyone, thus making all taxes uniform, be the most even handed way to handle taxation?

Or, do you not believe in even handed government?

Old 12-04-2010, 07:35 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
I would be for the same tax rate for everybody with all loopholes to get out of taxes removed. We can all pay a few more taxes to get out of debt. I would also like to see spending cuts for all unnecessary spending. Every tax expense needs to be examined and stop anything that is not necessary. Money for cell phones is not a necessary expense. Food for people is necessary.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:52 PM

293 posts, read 570,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I would be for the same tax rate for everybody with all loopholes to get out of taxes removed. We can all pay a few more taxes to get out of debt. I would also like to see spending cuts for all unnecessary spending. Every tax expense needs to be examined and stop anything that is not necessary. Money for cell phones is not a necessary expense. Food for people is necessary.

...many people do not seem to understand this. I am a small business owner and I know exactly what you are talking about. The average joe cannot write off anything. He or she cannot have the business take on expenses which lower taxable income. So many people have no clue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies