Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 11:01 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The major mistake was its flaw in design. It was more or less a place to dump people. People that no one wanted, they were put into the projects. And public housing projects were suppose to be temporary. While it might have been meant to get people on their feet, it became permanent. The projects could have been designed better.
That is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is true.
Now, the question is this. How do we correct the design of the housing projects?

Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 PM

924 posts, read 1,643,834 times
Quote:
The major mistake was its flaw in design. It was more or less a place to dump people. People that no one wanted, they were put into the projects. And public housing projects were suppose to be temporary. While it might have been meant to get people on their feet, it became permanent. The projects could have been designed better.
Another issue: with the way the towers were designed and their location, gangs were basically fighting over them for territory to sell drugs and firing upon each other from building to building. Almost like a war zone...

Old 12-01-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Another issue: with the way the towers were designed and their location, gangs were basically fighting over them for territory to sell drugs and firing upon each other from building to building. Almost like a war zone...
I also believe another issue was lack of police, and ironically, a mistrust of the police. If regular residents told the police anything, the risk of being murdered was even higher. The attitude was "the police won't be hear everyday. These gang members will be". Basically, the projects ended up functioning in such a way that it was almost like a separate city, but without its own police. The former mayor of Chicago once stayed in these projects during her tenure. Her part of the building was sealed off for her safety. When she left, the violence came back, and the building where she stayed at, the building became a perfect hiding place for drug dealers. It was like a fort.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 AM

I believe everyone should watch this episode of Gangland, which takes places in Cabrini-Green.

Gangland - Gangster City - YouTube

Old 12-10-2012, 10:05 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
I know many who are commenting on the projects and name calling don't know anything about Cabrini or life in the hood. They just want to spew mess.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:20 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,467 times
Wants some real info about Chicago projects watch sudhir venkatesh's dislocations or read his book gang leader for a day.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:22 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,467 times
Quote:
Basically black people since they where not allowed to move near whites even if they could afford it.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Wants some real info about Chicago projects watch sudhir venkatesh's dislocations or read his book gang leader for a day.
I read Gang Leader for a Day as part of an assignment. I think I still have the term paper for it somewhere. I keep alot of old term papers. I did read the book and I found it interesting.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Basically black people since they where not allowed to move near whites even if they could afford it.
That is basically how housing projects ended up working. The city of Chicago were looking for places to build. However, because these were largely Black tenants, no one in the White neighborhoods wanted them built there. They were built in Chicago's Black neighborhoods instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies