Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:41 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times

Advertisements

My predictions are now that Republicans are blocking middle class tax cuts, Obama will move to get Democrats to either extend tax cuts for the rich or also make them permanent in exchange for continuing unemployment insurance for those still looking for work.

Liberal Democrats will be mad that Obama compromises on tax cuts for the wealthy, but it might be a secret blessing from the Republicans if the rich get their tax cuts because economists are saying that by extending them all, the economy will add at least another 1% to GDP this year and next. Also, the stock market will be getting a big boost, which will help grow investor's 401k's.

The deal will make liberals mad, but oh well. I can see Obama, moderate Democrats and Republicans making the next two years interesting.

What's y'all's take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 11:50 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
The vote went to the senate today and the democrat's 250K and under plan was shot down by the right which was expected, but the dems came with another huge compromise bill to extend the tax cuts to those making up to $1,000,000 and under and the right slapped the outreached hand of bipartisanship away. The republicans have proven they are nothing but greedy scumbags that are only out for their millionaire and billionaire cronies.
Now the ball is pretty much in Obama's court and the options are to kick the can and extend everything for a few years, or what he should do is say to hell with it and just let the cuts expire for everyone. If he folds, he will lose my respect and support as well as a large majority of others.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The vote went to the senate today and the democrat's 250K and under plan was shot down by the right which was expected, but the dems came with another huge compromise bill to extend the tax cuts to those making up to $1,000,000 and under and the right slapped the outreached hand of bipartisanship away. The republicans have proven they are nothing but greedy scumbags that are only out for their millionaire and billionaire cronies.
Now the ball is pretty much in Obama's court and the options are to kick the can and extend everything for a few years, or what he should do is say to hell with it and just let the cuts expire for everyone. If he folds, he will lose my respect and support as well as a large majority of others.
I disagree. I'm a Democrat and Obama supporter. I think he should cut a deal with Republicans. Extend the tax cuts for the rich for an extension of unemployment insurance.

I really don't think taxing the rich will help the economy. Obama is thinking forward to 2012. Plus, there is a group of Republicans willing to end DADT, finishing START, and will support the DREAM Act. I think getting those things done now is more important than taxing the rich.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:00 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
My predictions are now that Republicans are blocking middle class tax cuts, Obama will move to get Democrats to either extend tax cuts for the rich or also make them permanent in exchange for continuing unemployment insurance for those still looking for work.
Yea, they'll work out a temp tax cut for the top tier in exchange for extension of UE, along with a few other things. Both parties are pissing me off right now because UE needs to be addressed to help those in need right now, and what I see is political posturing for ammo next election instead.

The lefties may be angry, but they aren't ever going to vote Republican in 2012, so whatever. Compromise is a good thing, even if the GOP doesn't like it.

However the irony will be that by cutting taxes for everybody and allowing extensions for UE the GOP would have already advocated two things that increase our deficits. After that comes raising the debt ceiling, which will be their third...

Old 12-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Yea, they'll work out a temp tax cut for the top tier in exchange for extension of UE, along with a few other things. Both parties are pissing me off right now because UE needs to be addressed to help those in need right now, and what I see is political posturing for ammo next election instead.

The lefties may be angry, but they aren't ever going to vote Republican in 2012, so whatever. Compromise is a good thing, even if the GOP doesn't like it.

However the irony will be that by cutting taxes for everybody and allowing extensions for UE the GOP would have already advocated two things that increase our deficits. After that comes raising the debt ceiling, which will be their third...
Most Republicans will get the memo by late 2011 or early 2012. Obama will get reelected because the economy will be improving, unemployment will be coming down, and Sarah Palin will get shellacked by Obama. Then you will see more Republicans working with Obama. This happened in 1995-96 when it was pretty obvious that Clinton was going to beat Dole.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:51 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post

It doesn't have to end that way. Here's a hint: CUT SPENDING!!!

Old 12-04-2010, 12:55 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,428 times
GOP doesn't want Dream Act because then businesses backing the GOP will be forced to do things legally like provide basic health insurance and also most of the people who take advantage of the Dream Act will be Democrat.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:56 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
So only republicans are wealthy?

Old 12-04-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It doesn't have to end that way. Here's a hint: CUT SPENDING!!!
On what? I've not seen any Republican calling for cutting Social Security, Medicare, and the Military. Until y'all do, you are just blowing smoke.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:03 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
On what? I've not seen any Republican calling for cutting Social Security, Medicare, and the Military. Until y'all do, you are just blowing smoke.
There are thousands of government programs that should be cut other than the above.

The republicans were for a freeze on earmarks....dems reply "that's a drop in the bucket."

The republicans were for obama freezing pay raises for two years for government workers..."that's a drop in the bucket."

All of these "drops in a bucket" add up to a full bucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies