Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 04:15 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So why would they get offended if those that do celebrate Christmas put up decorations ? To them it's no different than Halloween decorations or Thanksgiving decorations or Easter decorations.

That's what we do in America..celebrate holidays by putting up decorations.
Why can't they be tolerant of those that want to celebrate ?
It's not like the tree will attack them or prevent them from doing their normal activities and no one is forcing them to stop and admire the trees.
So what is it they don't like about seeing a holiday (any holiday) decoration..non denominational of course being publicly displayed ?

I'm just waiting til July 4 and hear that someone is offended by seeing the US Flag being displayed by so many.
I think those groups do respect Christians far more than religious Christians respect those groups.

Point to a time where a Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, or Hindu group has demonstrated against placing a Christmas tree somewhere.

Point to a time where a Christian (usually evangelical) group has protested one of the above...It happens all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 04:18 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What do they have against the Easter Bunny ?
They're all considered pagan symbols that Christendom adopted along the way in the spread of Christianity. Easter eggs are Ostara. Witchvox Article

Nothing in the bible says anything about eggs, and they are correct that religious symbols have been mixed for centuries. Some Jehovah's witness also strongly disagree that Jesus was born on Dec 25th, but for me, I celebrate it just the same on principle. Technicalities shouldn't be allowed to interfere with the meaning of the day or acknowledging my gratitude. Viewed in that perspective, everyday should be about gratitude, everyday is Christmas when you are grateful.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
I think those groups do respect Christians far more than religious Christians respect those groups.

Point to a time where a Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, or Hindu group has demonstrated against placing a Christmas tree somewhere.

Point to a time where a Christian (usually evangelical) group has protested one of the above...It happens all the time.
My post was about non denominational (non religious) decorations for a US hoiday.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:27 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
A gift is a gift. The recipient should have the right to accept or decline that gift. That's all.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:29 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
All this 'don't want to offend anyone' makes my head spin. No one has to be offended. It is a choice.
All this talk about the Christmas tree and Christians makes me shake my head in bewilderment.
Personally- I think decorations from all cultures and faiths should be displayed- not the other way around.
And just like the Easter bunny and eggs being pagan, so is the act of bringing an evergreen tree, in whole or in part, into the home and decorating it.
People from many different places around the world decorated trees long before Christ was born.
Some Christian groups today, and even way back when, forbid the tree decorating.

No matter what some one does, what it is called, 'who' it associates with, it is going to offend someone.
Give it up, let it go, just enjoy it all is what I say.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:45 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times
While I'm not religious in the slightest, this thin-skinned political correctness where everything that brightens a room or an encounter is laid to the wayside because it might "offend" some moron with overly delicate sensibilities is absurd. Seriously, if you're offended by something as innocuous as a Yule Log (or a Christmas tree, if you must associated it with Christianity), you've got bigger issues in life to deal with than the tree. This concept that everybody in this country must constantly walk on eggshells to avoid upsetting someone just looking to be outraged is absurd. And yes, that even applies to removing things that Christians like, even though they're the kings of forcing their crap on everyone else.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:17 AM

563 posts, read 1,286,447 times
Another one of those pathetic issues. How can a decorated tree offend anyone? As christians, we have celebrated Christmas for generations and will continue to do so. You don't like Christmas trees, get the he.. out of this country!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:23 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Combine PC with National Security Fear, and you got terminal dysfunctional society.

EVERYTHING IS CONVERTED TO A LIE.

No dependable moorings anywhere.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:42 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Maybe it has something to do with the CEO being Jewish rather than worry about offending the customers...maybe they are worried about offending their boss.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Horses are high around here.

I haven't seen where anyone was offended. I haven't seen where anyone hated anything. What I see is a corporate policy to use corporate decorations that they put time and thought into to make sure nobody would be put off by them. It's preemptive, so there are absolutely no questions about what should or shouldn't be allowed. Again, I haven't seen where anyone said they were offended or hated the tree...but maybe the next manager would have something that could offend, etc. You just have to give it up to corporate policy here vs individual preferences. Sorry.

People get upset at policies when they make a public spectacle of something they personally like, but demand them all other times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies