Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 05:30 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You see this in a lot shelters, even the SPCA. My Brother wanted to get a new dog, during a discussion with SPCA person he mentioned they would be going on vacation within a few weeks and would probably have to put the dog up in a kennel with his other dog. Once they heard that they told him they would not give him a dog.
I am sure that is true but I find it ironic that PETA tells everyone how to treat animals yet they kill just the same. They are clearly a political organization that wants to tell people how to live. Theey have no real interest in animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 06:49 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafenstein View Post
at least, that's what PETA says.

I would agree with your topic if we make small change: "Going vegan does more to reduce man's CO2 output than switching to a hybrid".

But global birth control will do even more to reduce man's CO2 output.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:44 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
While I don't ascribe to a complete vegan diet, I am in favor of it because it is healthier and because it's better on everyone, especially the animals we consume. Now, if someone switches to vegan and sees fantastic results, why would you hold it against them if they tell other people? How is that different than someone who 'found Jesus'? Do you self-described vegan haters react in the same manner to those who advertise a better way? Or is the anger really masking guilt? In other words, you know it's better but you don't want some goody-two-shoes to remind you? Human behavior is amazing at times. Sometimes we punish those who do the right thing.

Someone above wrote that plants are not sentient beings. I disagree. The consciousness of plants is quite different from animals, but I don't think there's nothing there. I would argue that every atom and molecule is alive. Indeed, anything created is alive including our own thoughts! But that's a different thread entirely.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:49 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Have you any idea how much cows contribute to global warming because of the flatulence cause by their vegan diet? I wonder how flatulence 7 billion people would create?

Of the 605 million metric tonnes CO2 equivalent of methane, about 115 million tonnes CO2e is from "livestock enteric fermentation"--mostly cow burps and farts.

I guess "people" vegans aren't flatulent? I have spent many years around vegetarians/vegans (my DH was formerly one, due to the religion he was raised in). Try spending afternoons with them at church after potlucks which contained umpteen bean dishes, mac and soy cheese, etc.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
The oceans let off more CO2 than all the domesticated meat animals combined. Plants require CO2 to grow. Does the OP also want the oceans to evaporate in the name of flawed science?

Next thread.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:50 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The oceans let off more CO2 than all the domesticated meat animals combined. Plants require CO2 to grow. Does the OP also want the oceans to evaporate in the name of flawed science?

Next thread.
What? Actually the oceans absorb CO2. Around half of all carbon dioxide produced by humans since the industrial revolution has dissolved into the world's oceans.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:57 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
going vegan does more to fight global warming than switching to a hybrid.
No way I'll go vegan and can't see getting a hybrid anytime soon.

I just bought a couple of cars with V8s within the past year.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:06 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Yup. I've got my eye on the BMW M5 and just bought an Audi R8 this year. And for dinner? Surf and turf. A nice big porterhouse with a lobster tail.

Meat may be murder, but it's tasty, tasty murder.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:33 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafenstein View Post
at least, that's what PETA says.
I'm sure it does but then I'd be left eating crappy vegan food and I won't accept that.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:35 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Almost made me rethink my decision to drive my SUV an hour down the road for a ribeye tonight. Almost.

But that cow was so very yummy, I'll probably do it again tomorrow.
San Antonio must be a crappy place if you have to drive an hour for a decent steak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies