Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Let the tax cuts expire?
No. Extend them all for 2 years 42 34.43%
Yes but only on $1 Million+ earners 42 34.43%
Yes, Let them ALL Expire and the ensuing Deflation will more than makeup for tax cut 38 31.15%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 10:53 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,135,235 times

Advertisements

Does anybody here know what Nancy Pelosi says about tax cuts and unemployment checks?

Why the lady has stood there in the House and said that unemployment checks cause those people to hurry out and spend their money which causes more jobs to be needed. I would think that by now we would be at less than 9.8% and rising if her words meant anything.

She follows that with the fact that allowing the "rich" to get by without a tax raise will cost us $700 billion, in ten years of course but she doesn't say that at all, and we don't have that $700 billion until we take it from the wealthy. Now she doesn't say who the wealthy are, but she is one of them, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 11:18 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,878,837 times
It's time to pay the piper for both Bush's and Obama's compulsion to overspend. The sooner we start, the better off we are as a country and as a people.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:35 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,135,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
It's time to pay the piper for both Bush's and Obama's compulsion to overspend. The sooner we start, the better off we are as a country and as a people.
I am with you completely but I wonder if we haven't waited too long to get started on the right road.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:00 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,727,641 times
I am so sick of both parties & their game moves.........so the compromise will be to extend the tax breaks for all & then UE will get extended. Big surprise..... Both parties should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:06 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,589,623 times
Yeah justice for all!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:13 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,568,500 times
As someone who is in the extreme left's laser sights for a tax increase (I'm one of those dastardly people who makes more than 250k, but not so important to where I make so much to where I can absorb any tax increase - in other words, I'm nowhere near 7 figures annually), I can say with absolute certainty that I don't care if they expire or not.

My only requirement is that if they expire for me, they expire for everyone. I'm fed up with the lower class demanding wealth redistribution to them and the middle class chanting 'tax, tax, tax...somebody else!' If this country is really in as desperate of shape as these people claim, and if this country really needs the money that badly, then they shouldn't have a problem chipping in as well, instead of just demanding that people like me fund it all.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:46 AM

56,860 posts, read 25,794,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
the last 2 years democrats had complete control, they could have pass a law to let the tax cuts expire but choose not to.Obama care pass without any help from a republican.they could have done the same thing with Bush the tax cuts. but no the communist party decided to tackle the great big food problem we have here in America,as if we had one. the democrats and all those that support that party have become nothing but parasites to the rich.eventually the rich will disappear then where will the parasites get their freebies from.thhey will start burning thier own cities,deamanding their freebies.feel sorry for those people that depand on the government!
Do you think Bush would have approved a tax bill passed by a democratic congress to remove the cuts in 2006?

Old 12-06-2010, 11:58 AM

401 posts, read 472,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
The $1 Million cutoff (while keeping all tax cuts in place for 99% of taxpayers) was the best idea imho. I lean conservative and I must admit, the GOP looks bad here by failing to compromise..
I make more than 250K but less than a million so I "guess" I should say that I agree with you. You know, let the millionaire pick up the slack. He should pay more because I am not able to figure out how to make a million.

THIS IS ABSURD. The guy making a million DESERVES it, has EARNED it, and pays MORE taxes in total. Again, the people using the most government resources are paying the least. Where is the value for the highest tax payers?

30% at 50K= 15K (value)
30% at 1 million= 300K (value ??)
30% at ZERO K = get a job if you have arms, legs and are physically capable (leech)

Old 12-06-2010, 12:31 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,720,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog32 View Post
I make more than 250K but less than a million so I "guess" I should say that I agree with you. You know, let the millionaire pick up the slack. He should pay more because I am not able to figure out how to make a million.

THIS IS ABSURD. The guy making a million DESERVES it, has EARNED it, and pays MORE taxes in total. Again, the people using the most government resources are paying the least. Where is the value for the highest tax payers?

30% at 50K= 15K (value)
30% at 1 million= 300K (value ??)
30% at ZERO K = get a job if you have arms, legs and are physically capable (leech)
It has to come from somewhere. I doubt most of us know that many people making over $1M a year. Half the NFL doesn't even make over $1Million. The average tycoon making $1M to $1Billion a year, profits 1000x more from wasteful gov't spending than does a lowly middle class homeowner. They can afford to help close the deficit and according to people like Warren Buffett, should pay their "fair share". I am by no means advocating taxes, but the US debt is on an unsustainable trajectory.

What I'm also saying is, as a % of income, I, along with your average homeowner pay about 45-50% Tax rate..including EVERYTHING (Federal+State Income Taxes, Local/sales taxes, Property tax, school tax, MTA tax, Misc tax to name a few). Yet I can only deduct at the 28% level. Show me a person making over $1M that pays anywhere close to an effective 50% tax rate. It's likely closer to 18%-25% for the average mega millionaire.

Last edited by Pequaman; 12-06-2010 at 12:40 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 12:49 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,720,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Well put and the option under door #2 is heavily likely the outcome i've been reading and hearing from political analysts on both sides of the isle saying it will come down to the 11th hour with the right giving the dems an unemployment extension in exchange for keeping the tax cuts for the rich. It's the worst thing that can be done but both sides are going to come out as a political win/win but a lose/lose for america.
I guarantee Obama is going to give a speech to the extent "We are extending the tax cuts for only two years (insert outrage) I know, I know, but it's only temporary and raising taxes right now on the middle class would be the absolute worst thing we can do. We also have won an unemployment extension which we direly need.
While McConnell will say: We have kept our promise to offer absolutely no compromise and have succeeded. We have won a two year full extension (insert outrage) though we agreed to this only as in two years, we will have a republican president and we can sign permanent the tax cuts or even give more to the top earners.
It really shows you the middle class has no pull here. 3 out of 4 chose option 2 & 3. Yes but only on $1 Million+ earners and
Yes, Let them ALL Expire and the ensuing Deflation will more than makeup for tax cut. And what does our govt do, extends them all and adds in unemployment extensions. We get banged from both ends.

Those 2 choices would be the most favorable for 99.5% of people in the US. But of course, they go with benefiting the ultra rich + the unemployed extension somehow made it in there. I'm surprised they didn't triple food stamps while they were at it. Talk about class warfare, EVERYBODY against the middle class. No wonder the middle class is shrinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies