Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:43 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Did the founding fathers intended for alcohol prohibition or to give the descendents of slaves or women the right to vote?

The reality is we live in a world that the founding fathers could not have foreseen or imagined.

The Constitution has an amendment process to address the fact that new problems and new realities would arise during the course of time.

So why talk about what the founding fathers originally intend? They are all dead.

The problem is America is right now the power of the corporations has exceeded the power of government. They in effect control the economy and with lobbyist campaign contributions they control the government. Corporations control the American people by providing them with jobs and the false perception of economic security. The majority of American people now value creature comforts and economic well being over the freedom from the control that corporations exert on their lives.

The American public lacks the knowledge, courage and intelligence to realize this or to address the issue. As long as this is the case nothing is going to change dramatically.
I read your words, but they ring hollow,...just more anti-business BS from those who wish that the government controlled our lives from the day of birth to the day of death. Personally, I don't perceive the corporate control you describe. I see the government taking my earnings from me at every turn. The corporations only get my earnings when I CHOOSE TO GIVE TO THEM BY BUYING THEIR PRODUCTS.

You are afraid of the corporations.

I'm afraid of people like you who think the government doesn't have enough control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 06:11 PM

565 posts, read 485,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Apparently it your contention that fast food companies advertise strictly to "kids" with the sole intention of making them fat, lazy, and unhealthy. Apparently you think that "Joe Camel" and burger chain advertisement target strictly "kids".

You anit-business people would place the government in firm control of EVERY aspect of our lives. That troubles me much more than advertisements on radio, television, and the print media.
How old are you ?

Old 12-06-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
How old are you ?
Age doesn't matter in this discussion. Either stick to the discussion or simply do not respond.

Doesn't matter to me.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Age doesn't matter in this discussion. Either stick to the discussion or simply do not respond.

Doesn't matter to me.
I am afraid, it does.
Let's put it this way. If you are less than sixteen, you have excuses.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 702 times
Default Dingleberry

Quote:
Walmart notwithstanding, the government is the LARGEST EMPLOYER IN THE UNITED STATES.

That FACT speaks volumes.

All of us can't be government employees,...some of us have to work for a living, thereby supplying the government beast with the funds which it distributes in its quest for power and control.
And do you know what is the largest part of that gov't? DEFENSE!!!!!

Old 12-06-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
I am afraid, it does.
Let's put it this way. If you are less than sixteen, you have excuses.
Please stick to the topic.

I'm not the topic.

If the questions are too difficult, I can use smaller words.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
In 1862, the U.S. Supreme Court decided that the income tax was unconstitutional because it was not apportioned among the states in conformity with the Constitution.
Quite correct, so what?

Quote:
Progressives decided to amend the Constitution to tax the people, based on income, not equality.
Progressives decided? You are aware of how constitutional amendments are ratified?

Anyway, let's say the 16th Amendment was never passed, and let's say a tax apportioning each state according to their population, where do you think that money would be coming for? Essentially all you are arguing is the mechanics of the tax, not that fact that one way or another you would be paying it.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnefeldtyler View Post
And do you know what is the largest part of that gov't? DEFENSE!!!!!
The point remains:
the government is too large

the government is too powerful

the government is too much in control of our everyday lives
Of the almost 2 million government employes there are less than 600,000 in the active armed forces,...army, navy, air force, and marines.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
The point remains:
the government is too large

the government is too powerful

the government is too much in control of our everyday lives
Of the almost 2 million government employes there are less than 600,000 in the active armed forces,...army, navy, air force, and marines.
Its getting late, go to sleep.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:34 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Quite correct, so what?

Progressives decided? You are aware of how constitutional amendments are ratified?

Anyway, let's say the 16th Amendment was never passed, and let's say a tax apportioning each state according to their population, where do you think that money would be coming for? Essentially all you are arguing is the mechanics of the tax, not that fact that one way or another you would be paying it.

My reply to the poster was just a reply back to the misinformation they had spewed. Nothing else. The argument ended with that, yet here you are out of context.

Still, it does not define why business and corporations are thieves and need to pay the ultimate price. While our government, the ultimate big business, forces & makes you pay and you love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies