Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 01:29 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times

Advertisements

He would be more than welcome in Alaska. We have thousands who live "off the grid." No electricity, no water, no sewer, no natural gas, no utilities of any kind, and they do so without violating any laws. He can even put in an outhouse without being harassed by some government entity. Or buy land and pay no property taxes. At his age, we'll even throw in a free annual hunting and fishing license for the rest of his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 02:08 AM

974 posts, read 1,587,301 times
You guys are arguing over the fact that he didn't have this or that. What is disturbing to me is he owns the land. It is his, he pays his taxes, and they are still able to take it from him. That worries me as a homeowner. What they are telling me is that I don't "OWN" my property, I just take care of it until someone else wants it and has friends in high places.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
You guys are arguing over the fact that he didn't have this or that. What is disturbing to me is he owns the land. It is his, he pays his taxes, and they are still able to take it from him. That worries me as a homeowner. What they are telling me is that I don't "OWN" my property, I just take care of it until someone else wants it and has friends in high places.
They are not taking his property. They are just not allowing him to live on his property without the utilities they think he should have.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:22 AM

974 posts, read 1,587,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
They are not taking his property. They are just not allowing him to live on his property without the utilities they think he should have.
Same difference in my opinion. My grandparents didn't have power, septic, or running water til 1989. And none of us got sick going there. As long as they used common sense and disposed of the waste by fire/lime things are fine. This is ridiculous.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:36 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Yep- in REPUBLICAN Indiana. Keep in mind that they were given the power to do this in the Kelo case which was decided by a Republican US Supreme Court.
Yep, states rights trumps America. If Indiana wants to abuse it's citizens, the rest of us ought to just sit idly by. My heart breaks for him. "Too much hate" I hear you Sir, and you're correct. These people don't care to be American.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Same difference in my opinion. My grandparents didn't have power, septic, or running water til 1989. And none of us got sick going there. As long as they used common sense and disposed of the waste by fire/lime things are fine. This is ridiculous.
The difference is that he still owns the property, and may do with it as he sees fit. What he cannot do is live there without the utilities some moron government bureaucrat thinks he should have. Unfortunately, this is not uncommon in the lower-48. There are very few places in the lower-48 where one can live "off the grid." This also has nothing to do with safety, or sanitation, or even his well-being. This is all about control.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:39 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Ask glitch to tell you all about how Palin evoked eminent domain to build a hockey rink when she was mayor of wasilla. Whose a thug?

Old 12-06-2010, 02:41 AM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Since 1933, no one has alienated title to private property. All they have done was purchase qualified ownership of estate.

Only private property is constitutionally protected.
Estate is not protected.

Go check your own state constitution for the delegation of power to tax. It will be limited to estate (real and personal property). It will not mention private property (owned absolutely by an individual). Ditto, for zoning, building codes, etc, etc.

Oh, in case you didn't know, you voluntarily surrendered your private property rights via enrollment into FICA / Social Security. Without the "right" to absolutely own, and no lawful money to "pay your debts", you have no standing at law.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:41 AM

220 posts, read 776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Has anyone looked into the cost of getting "hooked up" to the utilities in a rural area? I have and they were staggering. The water lines were 4000 feet from our property. The cost to run a line? $70,000. The cost for the tap above and beyond the $70k? $26,000. The best part was that they said if any of the neighbors bought a tap for $26,000, we would receive a portion of it. $96,000 to bring water to the property.

Alternatively, we could drill a well. Had 3 companies come in to give estimates. Average prices for complete well: $22k.

Septic: $5500

Electric Trenched 400 feet from the box by me and turned on: $2200.

Gas run 700 feet, pipe installed and one-time hookup fee: $3500.

The minimum sum here is $33,200. If you live in a $1000 trailer, odds are you do not have a spare $33k laying around just to come into compliance. It's unreal that a man can be forced to live on-grid and if that land was his parents, many of today's ordinances came into existence well after the date of first-use. His holding tank is perfectly legal as long as it's being pumped at a proper facility. If he's dumping it out back, they have him by the short-hairs.

Our founding fathers did not create HOA's, they stood up to government that was unfair and unjust. The sad part for us, is that our government holds all the real weapons and could no longer be overthrown. We're toast.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:42 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Yup, throw out all the zoning and sanitation laws let everybody live anyway they want to. Is that what you are suggesting harborlady? Well not in my neighborhood, and I'll bet you wouldn't want it in yours either.... Get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies