Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:54 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,867,178 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about the qualities I would like to see in a president and wondered who might possess as many as possible. Here are a few things I thought

Intelligent

a great communicator ( like reagan)

great at getting things done (like Obama - like or dislike he has done a great deal)

integrity and honesty - Like Ron Paul or perhaps Romney, not too religious that they think theirs is the only way...

The desire to help the people like Nader

The business sense of Steven Jobs

A likability like Kennedy ( but with morals)

A matter of factness like truman

They won't sellout to vested interests.

An ability to build support so they don't get assassinated.

Any other good qualities?

Any people that would qualify? perhaps we need to stop allowing the parties to run the process and run it as a job search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 09:22 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,308,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I was thinking about the qualities I would like to see in a president and wondered who might possess as many as possible. Here are a few things I thought

Intelligent

great at getting things done (like Obama - like or dislike he has done a great deal)

integrity and honesty - Like Ron Paul or perhaps Romney, not too religious that they think theirs is the only way...

Any people that would qualify? perhaps we need to stop allowing the parties to run the process and run it as a job search.
The United States is TOTALLY devoid of creditable, competent, inspiring, and bold forceful political leadership at this time. It's been that way for the 45 years. It is one of this reasons this country in in decline and it will probably continue for the foreseeable future.

AT THE FEDERAL LEVEL ALL THE POLITICAL LEADERS ARE BROUGHT AND PAID FOR. Hell most of the state officials are brought and paid for.

That is why we no longer have great political leaders. They are just there to pacify the masses and tend to the interests of Corporate America. You don't have to be a great leader to be a bureaucrat.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post

Intelligent

Dream on, your list is a pipe dream. There is no one person on this earth with all the qualities you would like to see in a Pres.

To me, the most important quality is honesty and the ablility to have the right people around you. Knowing when to take control and knowing when to delagate are the secrets as well as a true love and respect for our country.

Nita

Old 12-06-2010, 09:39 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,037,393 times
I believe Eisenhower fits the bill for meeting all of those qualities at least to some degree. He was probably the only non-partisan president we have had since Washington.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:48 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,868,581 times
if we are going to get people who have many of the qualities on the OPs list, we are going to have to reign in the press in this country, and reign in the extremists as well. too many people dont want to have their whole private lies put up in front of the public at large, and spun to death by both sides trying to either create a scandal or create a demigod in the eyes of the american people.

there is no reason to attack a political opponent because they dabbled in witchcraft when they were 17, or have to deal with outrageous claims(taliban dan anyone?) by their opponents who chopped up what they said in a speech, and tool everything way out of context. we are going to have to get some real honesty into political campaigns for a change, and argue the issues rather than what happened in grade school.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:02 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,074,501 times
I think what makes a President great or otherwise is dictated by how they respond to the critical issues of their time. History is the determining force and I wouldn't be surprised if a number of "mediocre" presidents could have attained the status of greatness if history had presented them with greater challenges or if presidents who have been judged to great would have been little known had they confronted lesser ones.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:04 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,764,037 times
I'm afraid it doesn't really matter who becomes president. Every president has to rely on an army of experts and Washington insiders, many of whom have served under other presidents before him. It's more like applying different skins to the same software

Old 12-06-2010, 05:13 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,867,178 times
So there is no one with some great qualities mine or others to become president? sounds pretty dismal. I agree we have many corrupt people serving their own interests... Is this what we want to settle for?

There is no one with ethics and abilities?

Old 12-06-2010, 05:28 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,463,330 times
I guess the first thing would be to have no skeltons in the closet - either their own or their family. Trust me, the press is going to uncover it. It's a pretty tall order since I would say everyone has something they have done that they are not particularly proud of.

I would say having a thick-skin is another positive trait. People are going to come at you and at your policies. The ability to stand above the petty shennigans, the outright attacks, the chipping away of your original plan - they need to do that WITHOUT striking back childishly.

The ability to listen to all sides and having the required empathy so that you don't come off as unresponsive or uncaring.

Trusted advisors. This is critical. Age brings these type of people into your life. People who understand what you want to achieve, clearly know what you are up against, where the pitfalls/roadblocks may be, and who are 100% dedicated to your agenda and your success and not in making a name for themselves. These are hard guys to find.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:45 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,940,062 times
I think Jesus Christ re-incarnate would fail to make the cut as outlined above. Eisenhower had his shot, is dead and has gone on to his reward. Why are we looking to the past for inspiration? IMO the problem here is thinking that the President must be anything more than what is necessary to be a decent CEO. You will observe that there are thousands of SWM aspiring to be CEO's of Fortune 500's but only a few dozen aspirants to the highest office in the land. Why is this?

Maybe when we can see our President as more of a "Prime Minister" and less like GOD...

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies