Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
So let's see:

You go to school from 18-22
Then you take a year off to "find yourself"
Go to work for a couple of years
Take 3 years off to collect unemployment

This is a pretty sweet deal for people born in the late 80's. Or the people who were in their 50's/60's who took early retirement and have been collecting unemployment for the last couple of years to "augment" their income.
It would be so refreshing if posters would comment from facts (even when they disagree) rather than their anal sphincter.
Last week, a hearing called by the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights examined the issue, attempting to determine whether part of the reason older workers have such trouble finding work, on aggregate, is due to employer biases out of their control. The unemployment rate is a comparatively moderate 7.1 percent for workers over the age of 55 — it’s 9.7 percent nationally — as older workers are more likely to retire early or leave the workforce if they lose their jobs. But that hides the troubling reality for those who can’t afford to leave the labor force.

The unemployment rate for over-55s is at the highest level since 1948. Since the recession started, both the number of older people seeking work and the rate of unemployment for over-55s have increased more sharply than for all other demographic groups. And older workers comprise a high share of the long-term unemployed. In May, the average duration of unemployment for older job-seekers climbed to 44.2 weeks, 11 more weeks than the national average. Nearly six in ten older job-seekers have been out of work for more than six months.
Age discrimination plagues the long-term unemployed « Minnesota Independent: News. Politics. Media.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:12 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I'm sorry is you dont like facts, the SBA is the one that stated the 90% failure rate, not me, as well as the major retail food rags.
I never said I have had a restaurant fail, so you must be reading things that are clearly not there.
How would I know about day labor?
Because I read the paper, and the field of work I am in, I hire day labor to do the unskilled things that need to be done, thats how.
You seem to think everyone is cut out for higher education, and that is not true.
Just because you have been fortunate, does not mean that everyone else is going to have the same good fortune.
And if you think you are being attacked, perhaps a thicker skin would be in order, you are going to need it in the food biz, trust me.
Take off those rose-colored glasses and take a good, hard look around.
You might learn something.
You said "90% failure rate for the restaurant biz in the first 3 years. I was in that business for many years." You talk about failure rate and then cite personal experience. 1+1=2, last time I checked.

Do you really need to point out the failure rate, though? That's my point, you are being rude and trying to get me down, well, it ain't gonna work. Go spread your nastiness around somewhere else. You're getting off topic with your attacks on me.

I never once said everyone was cut out for higher education. My husband is arguably one of the most successful managers this company has ever seen. He gets paid almost twice as much as others like him. And he stopped with a high school education. Your point is moot. However, I would not consider tech school to be higher education in the same sense that getting a degree is. Tech school is easy as pie, anyone can sail right through it, if the topic is something they're interested in. Again, your point is moot.

I have worked in food for years. Don't tell me what you think I don't already know and don't tell me I need a thicker skin. I'm not offended by you or anybody else on here, I just think you're being rude, and a few other things that I will not say b/c then I'll be sinking to your level with personal attacks.

I have not been fortunate. I have worked my butt off, as has my husband. Everything I do, I work hard. That's how life goes. Almost everyone I know who is on some kind of handout DOES NOT work hard, if they work at all That's very telling.

I definitely don't have rose-colored glasses on. I'm a very pessimistic person and if I can see the light, why can't anyone else?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:15 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Another thing I would like to add is that you can get training in an understaffed industry, like nursing, while on UE. These 99ers could have looked into going to school while unemployed.
I'm not sure its the same but when I was unemployed a few years back you couldn't attend any new school or training if you wanted to get unemployment.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
And you say you're a free lance writer?
Riiiiiiiight.........
What are you talking about? At least I can properly spell "freelance." How does this relate to the topic at hand? Are you questioning my honesty here?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:18 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
You said "90% failure rate for the restaurant biz in the first 3 years. I was in that business for many years." You talk about failure rate and then cite personal experience. 1+1=2, last time I checked.

Do you really need to point out the failure rate, though? That's my point, you are being rude and trying to get me down, well, it ain't gonna work. Go spread your nastiness around somewhere else. You're getting off topic with your attacks on me.

I never once said everyone was cut out for higher education. My husband is arguably one of the most successful managers this company has ever seen. He gets paid almost twice as much as others like him. And he stopped with a high school education. Your point is moot. However, I would not consider tech school to be higher education in the same sense that getting a degree is. Tech school is easy as pie, anyone can sail right through it, if the topic is something they're interested in. Again, your point is moot.

I have worked in food for years. Don't tell me what you think I don't already know and don't tell me I need a thicker skin. I'm not offended by you or anybody else on here, I just think you're being rude, and a few other things that I will not say b/c then I'll be sinking to your level with personal attacks.

I have not been fortunate. I have worked my butt off, as has my husband. Everything I do, I work hard. That's how life goes. Almost everyone I know who is on some kind of handout DOES NOT work hard, if they work at all That's very telling.

I definitely don't have rose-colored glasses on. I'm a very pessimistic person and if I can see the light, why can't anyone else?
If you think the truth is rude, then I have nothing but pity for you.
You have called everyone rude that had the temerity to disagree with your august opinions.
Put your big girl panties on and deal with it, its called life.
If you werent offended, you wouldnt be calling everyone rude.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I'm not sure its the same but when I was unemployed a few years back you couldn't attend any new school or training if you wanted to get unemployment.
You can. Or at least you can do it if you fly below the radar, I don't know the legalities of it but I've seen it with my own two eyes. It happens, you can rest assured on that.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
What are you talking about? At least I can properly spell "freelance." How does this relate to the topic at hand? Are you questioning my honesty here?
I am not going to indulge in a flame war with you, you seem to really want someone to argue with today.
I suggest you find something positive to do today, arent there folks that need help in your area?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
If you think the truth is rude, then I have nothing but pity for you.
You have called everyone rude that had the temerity to disagree with your august opinions.
Put your big girl panties on and deal with it, its called life.
If you werent offended, you wouldnt be calling everyone rude.
Um, I can say something is rude without being offended by it. You're not cool just b/c you try to dis someone. That makes you immature. I also don't think the truth is rude, but why would you point out the failure rate of restaurants if you weren't being snarky? Use your brain here, and quit making excuses for your actions. Who else have I called rude, aside from YOU?

I will ask again, what does your nitpicking on me have to do with this topic? I will ignore you from now on if you have nothing constructive to add.

rude - definition of rude by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Quote:

a. Lacking the graces and refinement of civilized life; uncouth.
b. Lacking education or knowledge; unlearned.
c. Ill-mannered; discourteous: rude behavior.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I am not going to indulge in a flame war with you, you seem to really want someone to argue with today.
I suggest you find something positive to do today, arent there folks that need help in your area?
It seems that is your goal. Please relate your accusations to the topic. I've asked for the last time. If you can't answer, please stop posting to me.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Um, I can say something is rude without being offended by it. You're not cool just b/c you try to dis someone. That makes you immature. I also don't think the truth is rude, but why would you point out the failure rate of restaurants if you weren't being snarky? Use your brain here, and quit making excuses for your actions. Who else have I called rude, aside from YOU?

I will ask again, what does your nitpicking on me have to do with this topic? I will ignore you from now on if you have nothing constructive to add.

rude - definition of rude by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Pot, meet kettle.
Funny how what we point out in others is usually a flaw within ourselves, and we just refuse to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies