Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 04:15 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

The USA is ALREADY a Nanny state,just a poorly run one.
If there is one thing the fedgov. can do well,it is screwing up.
That we can agree on.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:15 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
. Are you actually suggesting people don't want job badly enough?
Great expectations for most all who expect miracles IMO.
I think for sure there are many many people who are holding out for the old wage they had in a great economy.
From the market...
They now find they are not worth their prior wage or in many cases refuse to work a different job at a far lower wage.
Ride the dole as long as they can.

I do think when the unemployment ends, that at least 40% of them will be working within a month.

For the high end jobs there isn't the market now and some may refuse any work because they feel it is beneath them.

Over at USC many grads are being told, "We love you, we'll maybe sign you in two years". In that case do you work any 7-11 job while you wait for the dream job? People should IMO. Why not?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:16 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
The unemployed paid for unemployment insurance during the time they were employed, as did their employers. They are entitled to unemployment compensation. Plus, if the money is not paid, then our economy will collapse. People need that money to survive.

What should they do? Roam the streets for scraps of food?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:18 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
LOL...we ARE talking about the fedgov.....

Other nations figured things out decades ago,mainly because they had to.

i would like to learn to weld or electrical,it seems interesting and would come in handy,however I would have to pay to learn and as I am currently jobless(but don't worry,I am not getting unemployment...) that is not likely.
Do you qualify for unemployment?

If so, then Obama will give you schooling to become a welder or electrician...very good jobs, well paying and can't be outsourced....Look into it!

Old 12-08-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
I dealt with this everyday as an advisor for the university. Ill equipped students wanting to be a doctor. They felt if they wanted it badly enough they would make it happen. Grades and MCAT scores bedamned. Wanting something does not make it happen. Are you actually suggesting people don't want job badly enough?
Wanting something badly implies that you're willing to work hard for it, you're motivated. Not just simply "wanting" something. I could want a condo downtown but unless I"m willing to sacrifice and work for it, that "want" does me no good. "Want," as I was using it, is a motivational force, not just a simple emotion. You also have to have sense enough to move on when it's not working out.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:20 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The unemployed paid for unemployment insurance during the time they were employed, as did their employers. They are entitled to unemployment compensation. Plus, if the money is not paid, then our economy will collapse. People need that money to survive.

What should they do? Roam the streets for scraps of food?
According to some on this thread, if they try hard enough, manna will fall from the heavens.
Talk about lacking a sense of empathy!

Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Goody. Another one who doesn't know what "example" means. If you can't find a job, then move or choose a different field to go into, the nursing thing was AN EXAMPLE based on the fact that the BLS says the health care industry is hiring right now and is projected to increase at a faster than average page. What is good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander, but the bottom line is that if you want to have an easier time finding a job, taking a tech program or going to college is a good idea. I think you would agree with that.
Well, you made enough posts about nursing and what a piece of cake it is to get a nursing degree and the big bucks you can make afterward for it to be a mere "example". It doesn't matter a diddly darn what the BLS says; nursing jobs and other health care jobs in general are hard to find now. Take it from one who is in the field. One reason for this is that this is considered a "male" dominated recession; more men are getting laid off than women, so their women go back to work or simply don't quit their jobs or cut back their hours. 95% of RNs are women.

College is a fine idea if you don't have a college degree already. When my DH, who has a PhD, was laid off, he said he didn't want to spend another decade in school.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Great expectations for most all who expect miracles IMO.
I think for sure there are many many people who are holding out for the old wage they had in a great economy.
From the market...
They now find they are not worth their prior wage or in many cases refuse to work a different job at a far lower wage.
Ride the dole as long as they can.

I do think when the unemployment ends, that at least 40% of them will be working within a month.

For the high end jobs there isn't the market now and some may refuse any work because they feel it is beneath them.

Over at USC many grads are being told, "We love you, we'll maybe sign you in two years". In that case do you work any 7-11 job while you wait for the dream job? People should IMO. Why not?
And just where are those jobs magically going to appear from?
Why arent they available now?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:23 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,536,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
According to some on this thread, if they try hard enough, manna will fall from the heavens.
Talk about lacking a sense of empathy!

Hell I want to be 5'11 really bad, but that will only be possible with 6' heels. I guess I don't want it bad enough

Old 12-08-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Okay...so now a person is supposed to cheat???
Never said that, keep reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies