Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 04:23 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
... I will take any job I can get...

... In my small town, four factories have closed and shipped jobs to Mexico ... This area used to be thriving with work...

... Oh, and applied for several hundred jobs in my career field. Yet, I am lazy. Give me a break.
Maybe you should consider moving to places with jobs. Mexico, for example. Or India. Or China.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:25 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Hell I want to be 5'11 really bad, but that will only be possible with 6' heels. I guess I don't want it bad enough
Doggone it, and I wanna be 25 again!
Guess you and I are in a world of hurt!

Old 12-08-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
How about giving every person who wants extended benefits a broom, if their last job was physical labor or they are able-bodied, and make them work 40 hours/week sweeping our streets, Tue through Sat, in order to receive their checks? ...
I think there are some public employee unions full of street sweepers who might have an opinion on this. Those employees make $80K - $160K per year plus a gold plated pension and Cadillac health insurance. And they can retire at age 50 with pension spiking.

They might not want the competition of unpaid street sweepers.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:28 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Another thing I would like to add is that you can get training in an understaffed industry, like nursing, while on UE. These 99ers could have looked into going to school while unemployed. The nursing field always has a shortage, for example. An RN program (ADN) takes 2 years if you enter with no previous college. Other courses like CNA, PCT, MA, med tech, phlebotomy and LPN take one year or less (CNA takes like 6 weeks). If these people would look at the fields that are still seeing gains in employment and get some training, they might have a job sooner than if they did nothing but sit around while collecting UE. And since they're unemployed, they would have the level of income that could afford them a Pell grant so the argument that school costs money goes right out the window.
There is NO NURSING shortage go to allnurses.com and READ all about the new grads from '09 and '10 who've yet to get a job. It's a fignewton of your imagination that there is any kind of medical shortage. RN/LPN schools require what are called perquisites and those usually take a year or more to complete, THEN and ONLY THEN can you apply to nursing school, the waiting lists are long sometimes 2-3 years or more. I DID take a phlebotomy course and passed the national certification in 4/10...6 months later still no job...so much for that theory. In my area hospitals are laying off people as with many other areas of the country. Some hospitals are even closing. I don't know where in the world you get your information other than some BS rag but jobs in the medical field are very limited and only to those with experience so new grads are screwed.

Quote:
It depends on your state. In FL, UE is $255/week. If you make $1000/mo, you might qualify for Medicaid, but I'm not sure since, ya know, I've never been in that position. You are making ME laugh b/c you just keep on with this victim mentality. Until you change that way of thinking, you will never succeed. And I don't feel sorry for you, either, b/c this is 100% within your control.

I'm stating FACT and your claiming I'm a "victim"...your attack on me and anyone else who disagrees is childish to say the least. In the state of Georgia where I live, I do not qualify for Medicaid, I'm single and no kids so therefore inelegible. And that's a FACT.

You said yourself that working part time won't pay the bills. How about working two part time jobs? Living off UE, according to you, won't pay the bills, either. But you're turning down a PT job b/c it won't pay the bills? Do you not have any self-respect? Or would you rather live off the gov't dole b/c you want to throw yourself a pity party that you can't find FT work?

How offensive, yes I do have self respect, I've yet to even be offered a PT job, but as I stated earlier, because of the current unemployment laws it makes it difficult to accept a part time job, we loose our benefits and then can't pay the bills...that's stooopid from where I sit. Oh and I'm a 99er so I no longer get any benefits at this time.

How do you know the gov't is including contract work? My writing place just hired 60 writers. The other one continually hires. I'm quitting both so, hey, that leaves TWO open positions for someone else. How is the gov't counting these types of jobs in their calculations? How do they estimate any of it? The numbers are so dismal (5 applicants for each job) that nobody even wants to try anymore. Show me how they calculate it and how they are including contract jobs. The link you provided is almost a year old, also, and it basically just cute pictures with no proof to back up their assertions.

Soooo give us a link to those mystery jobs you say are available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Honestly, unemployment should be tied to retraining. This would create jobs for skilled people who would like to teach rather than do. Being a former contractor of 30 years, I could see teaching others how to do the work I used to love doing but can no longer do.

This would kill two birds with one stone. People could learn a new vocation, be paid for learning and it would weed out those who only want to game the system.

This country can little afford to be Santa Claus to 12M people every 2 weeks for another $50B worth. But then what do I know, I'm just someone who has to balance my checkbook every month on 15% of what I used to earn.

Great idea, however, I'm not sure how training would create jobs, so many of the unemployed have gone back for training and still no job, so unless that training is tied to a job it becomes worthless, like my phlebotomy certificate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It would be so refreshing if posters would comment from facts (even when they disagree) rather than their anal sphincter.
Last week, a hearing called by the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights examined the issue, attempting to determine whether part of the reason older workers have such trouble finding work, on aggregate, is due to employer biases out of their control. The unemployment rate is a comparatively moderate 7.1 percent for workers over the age of 55 — it’s 9.7 percent nationally — as older workers are more likely to retire early or leave the workforce if they lose their jobs. But that hides the troubling reality for those who can’t afford to leave the labor force.

The unemployment rate for over-55s is at the highest level since 1948. Since the recession started, both the number of older people seeking work and the rate of unemployment for over-55s have increased more sharply than for all other demographic groups. And older workers comprise a high share of the long-term unemployed. In May, the average duration of unemployment for older job-seekers climbed to 44.2 weeks, 11 more weeks than the national average. Nearly six in ten older job-seekers have been out of work for more than six months.
Age discrimination plagues the long-term unemployed « Minnesota Independent: News. Politics. Media.
Yup at 60 I'm facing big time age discrimination and the DOL and EEOC say there is nothing I can do because it's impossible to prove. I KNOW I've not gotten some of the jobs due to my age.

Quote:
More excuses.

If you want something bad enough, you can do it. I explored nursing school before we moved and yes, it's competitive, but I'm not specifically just referring to RN or LPN programs here, I thought I made that clear but I guess not. There is a nursing shortage, however, and pay is good for those who can make it through an LPN or RN program. Also, with the boomers reaching old age soon, that field will be growing exponentially, nursing and all related occupations.

My point, since everyone seems to want to pick instead of face the facts, is that bettering yourself through any type of education is possible and is recommended if you're in a dead-end job or if you lack any skills that will open up new employment possibilities. If you're on UE, it's a great time to go back to school. Find a way out of your situation instead of accepting it.
AGAIN with the nursing...sigh...there is no nursing shortage
Go to allnurses.com and READ
Here's another article:
New RNs find job market tight - USATODAY.com

And here is my personal fav FACT...scroll down and see REAL statistics about the "nursing shortage"...there isn't one
Are colleges oversupplying nurses? | MinnEcon | Minnesota Public Radio

andrea3821 based on all your posts it is apparent you are among the many who for some reason hate the unemployed, when we state facts you call us victims, or lazy or something else. You claim we are making excuses for not getting a job, yet we provide you with REAL FACTS and you continue your attacks and threaten to flag posters who don't agree with you or call you out on your misinformation. All of your posts are based on innuendo, I "know somebody", "there are jobs a plenty" - that you don't post links to.

Where as the current statistics from the gov't and private sources prove there are not enough jobs for everyone who wants one.
See the following FACTUAL survey:
Job Competition - TIME

I still don't understand the obvious venomous hate spewed by many of the posters here.. America has lost it's compassion and humanity, once we were a nation who cared about our neighbors and were sympathetic to those who have fallen on hard times. Now as our nations wallows in high unemployment, continues to bleed jobs, leaving MILLIONS without work, we, the unemployed are hated.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:28 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, you made enough posts about nursing and what a piece of cake it is to get a nursing degree and the big bucks you can make afterward for it to be a mere "example". It doesn't matter a diddly darn what the BLS says; nursing jobs and other health care jobs in general are hard to find now. Take it from one who is in the field. One reason for this is that this is considered a "male" dominated recession; more men are getting laid off than women, so their women go back to work or simply don't quit their jobs or cut back their hours. 95% of RNs are women.

College is a fine idea if you don't have a college degree already. When my DH, who has a PhD, was laid off, he said he didn't want to spend another decade in school.
So we also should not listen to the BLS when they tell us the unemployment rate, or that there are supposedly 5 jobs for every 1 person?

And yes, it was an example, other posters kept bringing it up, as you have, to try to prove me wrong, which they haven't. Let it die already if you don't like it. I don't give a crap if most RNs are women, either. Are you sexist? And who spends a decade in school just to change careers?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:29 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The unemployed paid for unemployment insurance during the time they were employed, as did their employers. They are entitled to unemployment compensation. Plus, if the money is not paid, then our economy will collapse. People need that money to survive.

What should they do? Roam the streets for scraps of food?
Unemployment was meant to cover you for 6 months.
It wasn't meant to be a long term benefit and I doubt it financed to the extent you think, that is why this is a deficit in the budget.

I know of some hustling and working two part time jobs and people who worked higher paying jobs now at Walmart. Then there are the people on unemployment for two plus years. You tell me what is happening with them?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
... Others have been looking for, and continue to look for, jobs....which aren't there despite the huge tax breaks given to those who don't need them. ...
There has been no tax break, huge or otherwise, to anyone who doesn't need it.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:39 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Awww, you want us to take your comments serious. Alright, I just want to be 5'10
I'll send you a pair of Louboutins asap!

Old 12-08-2010, 04:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Wanting something badly implies that you're willing to work hard for it, you're motivated. Not just simply "wanting" something. I could want a condo downtown but unless I"m willing to sacrifice and work for it, that "want" does me no good. "Want," as I was using it, is a motivational force, not just a simple emotion. You also have to have sense enough to move on when it's not working out.
jillz is correct about the med school issue. "Many are called but few are chosen". Even many who meet all the qualifications. There are only so many seats in med schools; no matter how much you want it, you might not get it.

Quote:
So we also should not listen to the BLS when they tell us the unemployment rate, or that there are supposedly 5 jobs for every 1 person?

I don't know if that's correct or not. It sounds like it's really worse. It's easier to be accurate about five people looking for every one job than to predict the future, e.g. "there will be loads of health car jobs next (insert period of time). This hasn't happened yet b/c people aren't quitting these jobs at the ususal rates.
And yes, it was an example, other posters kept bringing it up, as you have, to try to prove me wrong, which they haven't. Let it die already if you don't like it.

You are the one who is not facing reality. Several of us, not just me, have posted links showing there really is no nursing shortage. Whatever nursing shortage there was is long over. That is the reality of the situation, whether you like it or not.

I don't give a crap if most RNs are women, either. Are you sexist? And who spends a decade in school just to change careers?

No, I'm not sexist. I was just anticipating that you would say something about my comment about lots of men getting laid off, so their partners continue in their nursing jobs, even if they don't like them.

Why should someone who went to grad school for ten years change careers? Maybe they should look for a job in their field.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:42 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:

And yes, it was an example, other posters kept bringing it up, as you have, to try to prove me wrong, which they haven't. Let it die already if you don't like it. I don't give a crap if most RNs are women, either. Are you sexist? And who spends a decade in school just to change careers?
Umm when exactly has the BLS said that there are 5 jobs for every 1 person?? I think you may have flipped that........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies