Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 12:29 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,857,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
More hate filled ignorance towards the unemployed First, in order to collect unemployment you have to have been EMPLOYED and part of the benefits that one receives along with health insurance, vacation and sick pay is the company you work for pays into unemployment insurance. Second, in order to even qualify for that unemployment insurance you must have worked for so many months/years to determine how much unemployment insurance you will recieve, it is an earned benefit just like vacation or sick time. Third, as a condition of receiving unemployment insurance you must keep a log of all the contacts, applications etc. that you have made to be submitted to the unemployment office, if this is not done you will loose your benefits. So the unemployed who are getting benefits are not sitting on their azz as you put it.

You've apparently had your head in the sand for the last 2+ years, FYI, jobs across the country were and are disapearing at an alarming rate and the unemployment rate skyrocketed to 10% or more. Lay offs were happening in the 100,000's per month and still are. The unemployment rate just went back up to 9.8%, America is still bleeding jobs. Companies are not hiring.

My personal fav, is the "just go get any job" statements, apparently you and others have problems doing basic math there are 5 people for every 1 job...sigh, once again it goes like this... 5-1=4. That means for every 1 job available in the USA there are 4 people for who there is NO JOB. I will also post this link to a survey done by Time Magazine/CNN, you will notice that those "just get any job" jobs have a much higher rate of 6.4 people for 1 job and 7.2 people for 1 job than the national average of 5 people for every 1 job. So in essence, those "menial jobs" everyone sez to go and get are actually harder to come by.

Job Competition - TIME

Yup, most employed people don't understand that there are not additional weeks being added at this time it's only extending the "cut off date" of when an unemployed person can get the existing approved benefits, I've yet to find anything adding additional weeks and as a 99er I'm paying very close attention.

Let us know where those jobs are please, I love to go to work, and work hard every day looking. Since it's apparent you are employed and have not had to look for work over the last 2 years, you would be surprised at all the scam jobs that appear on the job boards today.

See above link and paragraph on the "any job".

Thanks for your support

It never ceases to amaze me at the venomous hate towards the unemployed...we didn't create this mess we are the victims of it. We are not lazy, we are not drug addled, we are not alcoholics. We are your neighbors, your friends, our children go to school with yours. Most if not all of the long term unemployed - the 99er's as we are called, are over 50 and have worked for decades - 30 to 40 years of working and paying taxes, being good neighbors, friends and good citizens. We work hard every day trying to find work. Do you really think we want to be unemployed to face loosing our homes our cars our savings our retirement.
I totally dont get the hate, either, its soooo misplaced.
Good post, I feel so bad for all the 99ers.
I have some dear friends in Florida that are facing the same fate as you, I dont understand why the most long term unemployed are being ignored.
Now, if anyone has anything snotty to add to my comment, do yourselves a favor and just zip it.
Not in the mood to hear any nonsense today.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:34 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,425,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
My son will never go back to work. Well thanks for letting him stay home for another year. He won't accept a job that pays less than unemployment pays and why should anyone.
Why not kick your son out?

Sounds like you need to take personal responsibility and not blame your problems on others.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-07-2010 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Deleted unnecessary comment

Old 12-07-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I can just as easily say MOST are milking the system in one form or another.
Based on what? Your imagination as usual?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:38 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,899,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Now, if anyone has anything snotty to add to my comment, do yourselves a favor and just zip it.
Not in the mood to hear any nonsense today.
You're not gonna go off on one of your crazy gun rants are you?

Why don't we just extend the UE bennies for good? Maybe we can throw in a new car while we're at it?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:40 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,857,299 times
Quote:
You're not gonna go off on one of your crazy gun rants are you?

Why don't we just extend the UE bennies for good? Maybe we can throw in a new car while we're at it?
Crazy gun rants?
You sure you have the right person?
Make sure you have the right poster before you start trolling, or maybe a few more tots of false courage.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Based on what? Your imagination as usual?
You got any hard facts that says otherwise? Until they do, nobody knows just how many are "working" the system in some form or fashion.

99 weeks? Seriously?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:44 PM

26,516 posts, read 36,390,122 times
I've seen it posted on this forum time and time again that when people start to lose everything, then they will be motivated to find work.

But people are starting to lose everything and some are well along in that process. It isn't as easy anymore to "just go get a min. wage job, take anything"...the math isn't that difficult to do. There are not enough jobs for those who want and need them.

As for the haters, hate almost always has its roots in fear. If they can convince themselves that the plight some are in is due to their own faults...that may calm their own fears

Old 12-07-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Crazy gun rants?
You sure you have the right person?
Make sure you have the right poster before you start trolling, or maybe a few more tots of false courage.
My bad. I had you mixed up with another drama queen that came on here last week all distraught over the 99'er who killed himself.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post

It never ceases to amaze me at the venomous hate towards the unemployed...we didn't create this mess we are the victims of it. We are not lazy, we are not drug addled, we are not alcoholics. We are your neighbors, your friends, our children go to school with yours. Most if not all of the long term unemployed - the 99er's as we are called, are over 50 and have worked for decades - 30 to 40 years of working and paying taxes, being good neighbors, friends and good citizens. We work hard every day trying to find work. Do you really think we want to be unemployed to face loosing our homes our cars our savings our retirement.
I'm with you guys all the way and am hoping you get back to work. Don't listen to these losers, they are full of hate towards everything. It's all they do is spend their life on the internet and act like jerks. Half of them probably don't have jobs and the other half lie about what they do anyway.

My MIL may very well lose her job. She works in financials and they are laying people off in her office. She is 58 and also has serious health issues. Of course she's against UE extensions, she was against a public option and now she is quite certain she won't have a job in a few months. At age 58, she will be the poster child for the unemployed: Unable to get a job because of her age and experience. It's a story I've read all too often, older American who simply can't get hired once they are laid off. Hardly "lazy" like these trolls here would like to believe. I do like some irony in life, especially since she's so against all the things that will help her if she does indeed lose her job. But at the same time I don't want to see her go without insurance, or see her struggle as a result. The health issues are particularly troubling if she gets the pink slip.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
You got any hard facts that says otherwise? Until they do, nobody knows just how many are "working" the system in some form or fashion.

99 weeks? Seriously?
I'm asking you what data you have to present to us to back your assertions? As usual I'm guessing it's absolutely nothing. You make claims and I'm asking you to back them up. Not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies