Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 06:49 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Is the idiocracy working in shifts on this thread?
One leaves and another shows up.
Sheesh, little people with little minds.
It seems so

Old 12-07-2010, 07:05 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Hey, you want to quit your job and let me have it? You can live off my unemployment check while I live off your paycheck? How does that sound? My unemployment check is a measely $265 a week. Any unemployed haters want me to take your job so you can live off my unemployment check? Any takers out there??? Probably not. I will take any job I can get.

Be glad you have a job and stop with the snarky comments about people that don't. You are not special because you are employed. You should be on your knees thanking God you have a job.

In my small town, four factories have closed and shipped jobs to Mexico, the local university laid off, even the professors are on pay freezes. This area used to be thriving with work. There are people standing on the streets begging for cash and digging through dumpsters for food. Is that the kind of life you want? This is the life of many unemployed Americans.

I have a college degree and I am forcing myself to apply at jobs like Starbucks and Subway. I even enrolled in classes starting in the spring and have been doing my own self-study courses right now. Oh, and applied for several hundred jobs in my career field. Yet, I am lazy. Give me a break.
Calm down there Sport. As I've said in many other threads, I'm not calling all peeps that are unemployed lazy. I simply said there a lot a lot of lazy scumbags out there milking this situation while others, like yourself, are really struggling. It is what it is and if I wanna make snarky comments about it, I will.

If you're single with no kids, why don't you move? Do you own a home where you're at?

Old 12-07-2010, 07:08 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
How about giving every person who wants extended benefits a broom, if their last job was physical labor or they are able-bodied, and make them work 40 hours/week sweeping our streets, Tue through Sat, in order to receive their checks? (That will leave Mondays to interview.) How about making the others go into places like nursing homes 40 hours/week and read the newspaper or a book to the elderly/blind? (I'm sure there are other opportunities, but you get my drift.)

I wonder how many who are collecting would suddenly "find" jobs which were previously illusive to them, as opposed to those who were still unable to find employment? I would love to see the end statistics of doing something like this.

Surely people wouldn't resent giving unemployment benefits to anyone who "works" for them while collecting, would they?
Wasnt that called the WPA during the Depression?
I've wondered why there isnt a similar thing happening now, our national infrastructure could use some help.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:41 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I've seen it posted on this forum time and time again that when people start to lose everything, then they will be motivated to find work.

But people are starting to lose everything and some are well along in that process. It isn't as easy anymore to "just go get a min. wage job, take anything"...the math isn't that difficult to do. There are not enough jobs for those who want and need them.

As for the haters, hate almost always has its roots in fear. If they can convince themselves that the plight some are in is due to their own faults...that may calm their own fears
The fear is that this country will continue on its downward spiral, plain and simple.

People who start to lose everything ARE motivated. They become desperate. It's called hitting rock bottom, maybe you've heard about it. They will take what they can get and that leads to getting back on track with their lives, slowly but surely.

I don't know about anybody else, but I get a sense of pride from working. Sure, it's not fun but it pays the bills and I feel good that I can contribute to our family in this way. More people should realize that they will likely feel the same way and they will earn themselves a better life in the long run.

There are plenty of jobs to go around if you just look. Maybe there are not "jobs" in the sense that you are an employee, but there is plenty of contractor work out there to be had. Maybe there are 5 people for every traditional job but there are many more ways to earn money than to just collect a paycheck every two weeks. That is being overlooked here.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Hey, you want to quit your job and let me have it? You can live off my unemployment check while I live off your paycheck? How does that sound? My unemployment check is a measely $265 a week. Any unemployed haters want me to take your job so you can live off my unemployment check? Any takers out there??? Probably not. I will take any job I can get.

Be glad you have a job and stop with the snarky comments about people that don't. You are not special because you are employed. You should be on your knees thanking God you have a job.

In my small town, four factories have closed and shipped jobs to Mexico, the local university laid off, even the professors are on pay freezes. This area used to be thriving with work. There are people standing on the streets begging for cash and digging through dumpsters for food. Is that the kind of life you want? This is the life of many unemployed Americans.

I have a college degree and I am forcing myself to apply at jobs like Starbucks and Subway. I even enrolled in classes starting in the spring and have been doing my own self-study courses right now. Oh, and applied for several hundred jobs in my career field. Yet, I am lazy. Give me a break.
There are exceptions to every rule. Good luck to you.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
At least the people at Burger King, Walmart, and McDonalds have BENEFITS like HEALTH INSURANCE. I am stuggling to pay for mine on unemployment. I can't buy my asthma medication anymore. I wish I could get hired on at Walmart, but they just laid off in my area. Seriously, they laid people off. I hear Walmart has some pretty good medical insurance.

I don't qualify for Medicaid since I am single with no kids.
Actually, they likely don't. Part-timers don't usually get benefits.

You should qualify for Medicaid if you are living on unemployment, regardless of if you have kids or not.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
How about giving every person who wants extended benefits a broom, if their last job was physical labor or they are able-bodied, and make them work 40 hours/week sweeping our streets, Tue through Sat, in order to receive their checks? (That will leave Mondays to interview.) How about making the others go into places like nursing homes 40 hours/week and read the newspaper or a book to the elderly/blind? (I'm sure there are other opportunities, but you get my drift.)

I wonder how many who are collecting would suddenly "find" jobs which were previously illusive to them, as opposed to those who were still unable to find employment? I would love to see the end statistics of doing something like this.

Surely people wouldn't resent giving unemployment benefits to anyone who "works" for them while collecting, would they?
Great idea.

ETA: There was a study done in Europe that showed that people find jobs right before benefits run out, even when they reduced the time period that UE benefits were available. I don't have time to look for it again but it was also on the news a few weeks ago.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:58 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
How about giving every person who wants extended benefits a broom, if their last job was physical labor or they are able-bodied, and make them work 40 hours/week sweeping our streets, Tue through Sat, in order to receive their checks?
You appear to be suffering from an attack of common sense. Please take your meds, immediately.

Of course, you should know that such "public funded service" would severely impact the climate, with all the increase in heat released from such labor. Plus it would impact on the "hot air" emitted from partisan politicians.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:07 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post

There are plenty of jobs to go around if you just look. Maybe there are not "jobs" in the sense that you are an employee, but there is plenty of contractor work out there to be had. Maybe there are 5 people for every traditional job but there are many more ways to earn money than to just collect a paycheck every two weeks. That is being overlooked here.
And when EXACTLY was the last time you looked for work?
What EXACTLY are you supposed to contract to do?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:13 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
You appear to be suffering from an attack of common sense. Please take your meds, immediately.

Of course, you should know that such "public funded service" would severely impact the climate, with all the increase in heat released from such labor. Plus it would impact on the "hot air" emitted from partisan politicians.
This manual labor that the unemployed could do,why isn't it being done NOW by an employed person?

Also,as you seem to not actually KNOW what is required by the gov. to be considered for unemployment I will explain.

You must be willing and able to work if a job becomes available,if you are doing your 'make work' job you are not able to do this.

Do you think everyone who is receiving checks from the gov. should be doing this or just those on unemployment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies