Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:45 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
No. You make the choice to enter into an agreement to work for a certain wage. There are labor laws against stealing that from you.

You don't have to buy them. You agreed to make the exchange. You must think it's worth it or why would you do it?

Prices are set by the market forces. Again, you choose to enter into that exchange. You give money and someone provides food; that's not stealing.

There is no place like you want for the price you want, that does not equate to stealing. You are free to move somewhere else if you wish; again, it's voluntary.

It sounds like you're complaining because you don't get to steal someone else's time or labor.

No, they're stealing mine. They're taking advantage, profiting, from the work I do. Getting rich on the backs of the working class. Therein lies the problem.

Like I said, things like food and shelter are necessities, and they have you over a barrel on that note.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 10:49 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No drama. All american media is based on drama generation. Watching my pal Steve schlep all over the country 350 days a year or watching my bro and his wife work 16 hour days is not nearly as interesting as watching some idiot who can throw a ball fast decide whether he wants $30 million in NY or $35 million in Philly.

And the average american is stupid enough and shortsighted enough to allow whatever information bombard him the most convince him that is reality and the truth.

Right now, the only info we have is that rich people are 'Wall Street Fat Cats' and undeserving moronic celebs and athletes. Whereas the majority of what Obama and his minions have dubbed 'rich' ($200k and above) are boring regular joes who *earned* their money by just working their butts off, competing, sacrificing, and investing in their future. Think of this...how many people know that only 20% of millionaires inherited their money?
Yes, well, being given money from your parents is a long time honored jealousy thats been toppled for years all over the world.
But, my point is, we continue to let people with a lot of money make decisions that they have no business making. They make them to become richer, which they of course would, right?
Lobbyist, influence, government, stupid tv, our news, what ever it takes to make money. You can't help but have animosity in a capitalist society. It's based on having what others don't, however you can get it. Big business takes it's money overseas, sells us products from overseas, and we allow it and buy it because we need it or want it and we are poor.
It's hard to get rid of, but you can't deny that the poor are suppose to hate the rich, that it's set up that way, and that people with extreme money can be embarrassed about it as well, because they know. We allow all of this though, it's wrong, it causes bad feelings, things get done for money that shouldn't get done, but they do and this is WHY people hate rich people. There are more respectable ways but that doesn't fall in line with capitalism.

People who make over 200,000 dollars a year weren't going to get that much of a hike, it would've grown according to salary. But, they do get a lot of breaks as well, and the people with the most money have plenty of influence because of it, they can also afford others who have ways of finding tax breaks they might not really deserve. Why is that? Because that is how capitalism works.
I just don't understand why we don't understand why we hate "rich" people. LOL
We are suppose too!

Old 12-14-2010, 10:55 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No, they're stealing mine. They're taking advantage, profiting, from the work I do. Getting rich on the backs of the working class. Therein lies the problem.

Like I said, things like food and shelter are necessities, and they have you over a barrel on that note.
They're paying you what you agreed to work for. You can ask for more or leave. Are you not getting benefit in the form of a job from their efforts? They're only in a postion to offer you work because of their effor. Should they not get some benefit for that and the risk they took? Did they not put forth an effort to build a business?

You have said before that you don't need anyone. I thought you would be gathering your own food. Again, you need money for those things and you agree to exchange your time and effort for that money. Paying you an agreed wage is hardly stealing from you. If so, then you allow it, which doesn't seem to fit with you either.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:16 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
It's not so much that I hate the rich, but what rich people have done to this country. I hate the rich "banksters" that have swindled our hard-earned taxpayer dollars in massive bailouts, just because they made a bad call (and I thought risk-taking was part and parcel of being a capitalist, guess I was wrong on that point. ) I hate the rich corporatists that send good jobs overseas just to save a few bucks for themselves. I hate rich Hollywood types that have everything anyone could ever want in this world, only to throw away their lives on drugs, booze and romantic break-ups. ).

See what I mean? This is a tiny proportion of 'rich' people, but you have formed an opinion about all of them based on what makes the news. It's like saying all poor people are criminals.

And I hate the way that the rich have become richer while the middle class is sinking relentlessly towards poverty and destitution

More ignorance...80% of millionaires come from the middle class. How is that just the rich getting richer?

A cap should be put on total wealth above an extreme level, say around 500 million dollars, so all that "locked up" wealth can be put to good use in society.

Now I know I can't take anything you say seriously. Are you serious? You think there is only 'X' amount of money and that if someone has 10 bucks that means that you can't have 10 bucks? This is a big joke. You think by capping someone's income or wealth, you are going to make other people's lives better? This demonstrates a serious lack of understanding of economics.

well, can anyone on here say the year "1917"? Or better yet, repeat the word "communism" for me. Say it nice and loud, so I can hear ya.

Somewhere, a village is missing an idiot. Have you been to Russia or the USSR (while it was intact)? The general population had some seriously crappy living standards. You've learned nothing from history, apparently...the people revolted - and their lives remained revolting. They hadn't even figured out adequate toilet paper in 1994...THAT is what you want to reduce us to because of your envy?

See above in blue...I wrote in blue bc people who are clearly lacking this much education make ME blue...

Old 12-14-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
They're paying you what you agreed to work for. You can ask for more or leave. Are you not getting benefit in the form of a job from their efforts? They're only in a postion to offer you work because of their effor. Should they not get some benefit for that and the risk they took? Did they not put forth an effort to build a business?

You have said before that you don't need anyone. I thought you would be gathering your own food. Again, you need money for those things and you agree to exchange your time and effort for that money. Paying you an agreed wage is hardly stealing from you. If so, then you allow it, which doesn't seem to fit with you either.
The fact that they're paying me is immaterial, the profit they make of my labor and the labor of my fellow workers, is what's at issue. We're making them millionaires.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
The fact that they're paying me is immaterial, the profit they make of my labor and the labor of my fellow workers, is what's at issue. We're making them millionaires.
When you accuse someone of theft, payment is directly relevant.

You also profit from their labor in establishing and marketing a business to the extent that they need employees.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:50 PM

If they're making money off our labor...millions of dollars...then they're stealing from us. The pittance they pay out of it is immaterial.

Now, if they actually WORKED for a living...but then they wouldn't be rich. Consumerism sucks, materialism sucks. People who live by those principles suck too.

He who dies with the most toys? Still dies.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
If they're making money off our labor...millions of dollars...then they're stealing from us. The pittance they pay out of it is immaterial.

Now, if they actually WORKED for a living...but then they wouldn't be rich. Consumerism sucks, materialism sucks. People who live by those principles suck too.

He who dies with the most toys? Still dies.
It can't be stealing if you give it voluntarily in exchange for payment, by definition.

Most rich people work much longer hours than you. If they didn't work, there would be no business in existence to employ you. Do you think the business fell out of the sky? Do you think your coworker developed it and gave it to the business owner? You rarely hear them say:
That's not my job
I get off at 5
I should be getting paid more
That's my day off
I shouldn't have to do that
That's not fair
It's not my fault
How much vacation do I get

Old 12-14-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
It can't be stealing if you give it voluntarily in exchange for payment, by definition.

Most rich people work much longer hours than you. If they didn't work, there would be no business in existence to employ you. Do you think the business fell out of the sky? Do you think your coworker developed it and gave it to the business owner? You rarely hear them say:
That's not my job
I get off at 5
I should be getting paid more
That's my day off
I shouldn't have to do that
That's not fair
It's not my fault
How much vacation do I get
I never see them do any work at all. Physical labor, they should look into it.

Let me reiterate: anyone who makes their money at someone else's expense, without doing any work to get it, is a thief.

Salesmen fall into this category.

Last edited by TKramar; 12-14-2010 at 02:11 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I never see them do any work at all. Physical labor, they should look into it.
Physical labor is tough. It's not the only kind of work there is. In general, mental labor pays more than physical labor, unless you're an athlete. If you're in physical labor, the path to more wealth is generally by learning the business and developing your own company. Many of the company owners spent years in physical labor to get where they are now - using mental labor and making more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies