Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:03 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
This thread has already been stomped to death. IOW... it's a duplicate.

It has nothing to do with ENVY or HATE. As I said in the other thread of the same topic, it's pure unadulterated DISGUST. Go ahead and keep taking from the blue collar to make your white collar, whiter. Unbelievable.

This stupid argument just reiterates how much more deserving the 'upper crust' feels. It's not all that difficult to understand that while it takes money to begin a business, it's the workers that keep it going. Without workers there is NO product. NO profit. But cheap labor allows you to buy that 4th car. That swimming pool. That golf club membership. And whatever else you FEEL you NEED. While it's very difficult for the average American to even buy ONE car that can at least get from point A to point B without trouble. This has become a country with a large problem of unappreciative business owners. Shame on you. Shame on America for allowing this to happen.

Sleep well and sweet dreams.
And what exactly is taken...we are talking about 1 person paying 75-100K in income taxes and one paying $0. How is taking money from one group to pay for services for another fair? we are not discussing fair mkt value for pay...but taxes on ones income? I would like to understand how if I worked 15 yrs, sacrificing to get ahead, including 3 college degrees, school loans ettc...and now a high earner...why if I pay alot in income taxes......why I need to pay allot more? I understand the plight, but why do not those who feel they are not getting their fair shake work as hard I did and sacrifice to get ahead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 08:09 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
And what exactly is taken...we are talking about 1 person paying 75-100K in income taxes and one paying $0. How is taking money from one group to pay for services for another fair?
Here's how it's fair:

As of 2007 the top 1% of US households possess 42.7% of financial wealth. The top 20% of households have a total of 93% of the wealth. The other 80% of households control a measly 7% of the wealth. (Source: economist Edward N. Wolff at New York University (2010))

Shouldn't those who control the overwhelming majority of wealth in the country pay the most taxes? Makes sense to me.

A better question is how do you think people who control only 7% of the wealth in the US can possibly fund the government? The answer is they can. If you have more wealth, you pay more taxes. Completely fair.

Last edited by mlassoff; 12-06-2010 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Added source for stats

Old 12-06-2010, 08:26 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Here's how it's fair:

As of 2007 the top 1% of US households possess 42.7% of financial wealth. The top 20% of households have a total of 93% of the wealth.
Fail, right off the bat. Wealth is not income. And wealth can be accumulated by anyone of moderate means and income if they make wise life and financial decisions. Read The Millionaire Next Door for some eye-opening stats on exactly who are 'the wealthy.'

Back to the topic at hand, the INCOME tax. It is, by law, a tax on INCOME. Think about each group's share of the INCOME compared to the share of the tax revenue they pay. That should also open a few eyes.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Fail, right off the bat. Wealth is not income. And wealth can be accumulated by anyone of moderate means and income if they make wise life and financial decisions. Read The Millionaire Next Door for some eye-opening stats on exactly who are 'the wealthy.'

Back to the topic at hand, the INCOME tax. It is, by law, a tax on INCOME. Think about each group's share of the INCOME compared to the share of the tax revenue they pay. That should also open a few eyes.
Glad you mentioned this. Here are the numbers for income:

The top 1% receives 34.6% percent of the nation's income.
The top 20% receives 85% of the nation's income.
That leaves 15% of income for the bottom 80% of the nation.

I read the Millionaire Next Door. Great book. It has nothing to do with the rich paying their fair share of taxes.

I make about $120,000 per year. I believe I pay my fare share of taxes. Could I pay a little more... Sure. However, I think people who make more than I do and have more wealth should pay more taxes. I don't see why anyone would argue with that.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
Because for 50 years the liberal Communist left-wing has told them to. They've brainwashed them into believing they're nobody because someone with more than them is somebody. In other words, they're losers because others are winners.
Funniest part is the the liberal Progressives in Congress whom are multi-millionares that fuel the "class warfare".

Jane (I'm the richest Democrat in Congress) Harman ($435 million)
John (I always marry up and I'll pay my boat taxes in a state where property taxes are lower) Kerry ($239 million)
Mark (I got my wealth from free government radio frequencies for cell phones) Warner ($175 million)
Alan (I live in a state without state income tax) Grayson ($55 million)
Claire (I got my money by my husband's nursing home Medicare billing) McCaskill ($30 million)
Harry (I live on a "fixed income"...for a millionare) Reid
Herb (just shop at my national chain of department stores) Kohl ($200 million)
Nancie (I love my pinapple plantation) Pelosi ($70 million)
Diane (the war profiteer, I give my husband's companies contracts) Feinstein ($108 million)
Jay (trust fund poster boy most money is in the family foundation) Rockefeller ($136 million)
Frank (I want to ban guns but I can afford a bodyguard) Lautenburg ($80 million)
Ben (I never saw a bribe that wouldn't make me vote for Obamacare) Nelson ($13 million)

and the list goes on........

Old 12-06-2010, 08:36 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Here are the numbers for income:

The top 1% receives 34.6% percent of the nation's income.
The top 20% receives 85% of the nation's income.
That leaves 15% of income for the bottom 80% of the nation.
You're numbers are off, and I'll correct them as necessary. But as for now, how much of the tax revenue does each of those groups pay?

I'll answer if you don't.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:38 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
..........I make about $120,000 per year. I believe I pay my fare share of taxes. Could I pay a little more... Sure. However, I think people who make more than I do and have more wealth should pay more taxes. I don't see why anyone would argue with that.
They do, we already have a progressive tax code.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You're numbers are off, and I'll correct them as necessary. But as for now, how much of the tax revenue does each of those groups pay?

I'll answer if you don't.
Go for it. Please also indicate where your numbers are from. Mine are from a non-biased academic study. Let's see what your source is. I'd love to see how much tax revenue each group pays and your source for that information as well.

If your source is equally reputable and unbiased, I'd be happy to consider your information. If your source is some conservative, right wing, propagandist, sorry, I'll stick with the academics.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:42 PM

6,036 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Jealousy, coupled with laziness. They know that if they really wanted to get there, they could, but they're WAY too lazy to do the work required. It's much easier to whine on the Internet and convince their representatives to forcibly take from those who worked for it so it can be given to them for nothing.
How quaint,do some folk still believe that?Far more involved than that. Nature of Capitalism is that there are winners and losers. Impossible for all but a few to get to the top. Besides that a large number of those who make it to the "top" don't get there through their efforts when it comes to hard work but manipulation,cheating and dishonesty.
Some of the hardest jobs are those of a manual nature. To suggest all folk have an equal opportunity is just plain wrong.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:44 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
I make about $120,000 per year. I believe I pay my fare share of taxes. Could I pay a little more... Sure. However, I think people who make more than I do and have more wealth should pay more taxes. I don't see why anyone would argue with that.
Why are typical liberals/progressives/Democrats brainwashed into thinking that everyone who makes more than them is evil and should pay more than they do but they somehow are never in that group?

Liberals and Conservatives both look at others who have more than themselves and both groups experience some sort of envy, it's normal. The difference is a truly conservative person acknowledges that envy and responds with a feeling of "I need to work harder/smarter/better to achieve what that person has achieved to feel more equal. Liberals feels envy and immediately feels like that "rich" person should somehow be penalized therefore making them more equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies