Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:59 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times

Advertisements

I would be for the rich keeping their tax cut at any other time, but not now.

I will also admit that there has been inefficient and excessive government spending in certain areas. But I don't think unemployment benefits is one of them.

You can lambast me all you want, but any intelligent discussion of deficit reduction would recognize that it will require spending cuts AND tax increases. And we will pay more tax. I may cut the check now...but I'm also confident they'll come back and take it soon.

And finally, none of this changes the fact that both Republicans and Democrats sit smugly by while this nation exports all of its blue collar (and increasingly white collar) jobs to China. And that's going to play out in the living standard here - you'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 09:00 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Bush even hid the cost of these wars by not including it into the budget. The only people paying for this war are those who sacrificed their lives and our children with cuts in their education and deferred debt.
Not including the war costs in the budget doesnt hide them from the debt.. It goes up regardless. They were just seperate budgets just like Social Security is one..
Quote:
Hey! But let the filthy rich go on living it up on the backs of our children and grandchildren! Boy has the American public been brainwashed!
ooh please, stop with the BS...

Old 12-07-2010, 09:00 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
It means we owe another 900 billion dollars to China.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Why not now? Because government cant stop growing and spending which increases the debt? You do realize that you as a citizen arent responsible for government debt no different than you are responsible for your neighbor not paying their mortgages. And if you somehow think that citizens are responsible for governmental debt, then this would be ALL citizens, not a select few..

Old 12-07-2010, 09:03 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Quote:
So the top two percent get to keep their tax cuts during a time of historic deficit and unemployment levels. What does this say?

1. The Republicans were successful in holding 98% of the American public and unemployed workers hostage for their sake of their rich benefactors.

2. Since it has been documented to death that only a few percent of small business owners who tax their income through personal taxes as business income overlap with the top two percent, this will do virtually nothing for small business and employment growth.

3. Since most of the top wealthy folks in this country are not going to spend that incremental piece of cash they get, the impact on the economy is going to be nothing to write about.

4. For this minimal gain, we just added another $700B to the deficit, which is nearing the magnitude of Obama's old stimulus plan.

5. Since both Republicans and Democrats have helped Big Business for years to outsource millions of well-paying jobs overseas, and since there are now simply not enough jobs for those previously employed Americans to earn a living, we are basically just continuing to concentrate wealth in the hands of the very top few wealthy hands while we build a massive underclass of impoverished people - and then blame them for "being lazy".

I say all of this as a person in one of those top two percent of households, which I frankly can't even believe that I am. I have no problem with rich people, and I think they deserve to keep being rich...but this used to be a nation that also provided some opportunity for middle and lower class people, too. That's no longer the case; we've become an oligarchy.
It means that people get to hold on to a tiny amount more of THEIR bucks. Bucks which the government has no right to get their filthy paws on.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It means we owe another 900 billion dollars to China.
so you also object to the tax cuts on the 98% which is responsible for over $3T right?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Yesterday, Democrats introduced a proposal to extend unemployment benefits through 2011, at a cost of $56 million, without offsets. Republican, Scott Brown [R-MA] singlehandedly shut them down with a refusal to consider the proposal unless the cost is paid for. 2.5 million unemployed Americans are left with out needed aid just in time for the holidays.
Republicans Hold Expired Unemployment Benefits Hostage - Political Ruminations

So what is the plan of the Republicans to pay for extending these unemployment benefits and why did they change their mind so quickly?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:06 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Your entire post is spot on and sums the situation up very neatly. I heard something on TV yesterday and I'm not even sure which show as I was doing something else at the time, but it was very sad and telltale of these times. They were discussing the difference between now and the WWII era. The entire nation sacrificed for the good of all. Talk of tax decreases would have been viewed as insane and unpatriotic. Yes, we are now an oligarchy and it would not have been possible without the help of these ignorant voters that just sent the same crooks and liars back to Congress and opted to go backwards and send the average American further into the abyss.
Here's a big difference between now and the WWII years: what the government is spending the money on. Do you thnk we should sacrifice and sweat and strive so Obama can pump up the pension plans of overpaid state and local employees? It's not exactly as noble a purpose as stopping the Nazis or reversing Japan's domination of Asia.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:08 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:

I will also admit that there has been inefficient and excessive government spending in certain areas. But I don't think unemployment benefits is one of them.

You can lambast me all you want, but any intelligent discussion of deficit reduction would recognize that it will require spending cuts AND tax increases. And we will pay more tax. I may cut the check now...but I'm also confident they'll come back and take it soon.

And finally, none of this changes the fact that both Republicans and Democrats sit smugly by while this nation exports all of its blue collar (and increasingly white collar) jobs to China. And that's going to play out in the living standard here - you'll see.
The top percent that benefitted from the tax breaks outsource jobs and do not rely on the American consumer as their eyes are on India and China and their growing economy. We have been used and now we are being cast aside. This country has seen it's heyday and it is not coming back.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Republicans Hold Expired Unemployment Benefits Hostage - Political Ruminations

So what is the plan of the Republicans to pay for extending these unemployment benefits and why did they change their mind so quickly?
Try to stay focused and follow along.. The plan to pay for these extensions is the very money sitting in the federal governments books already. Its money from the stimulus package that has not bee spent..

Why would you want them to borrow to spend when they have already borrowed and its sitting there.. thats foolish, but thats what you Democrats want to happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies