U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should C-D posters be arrested for re-posting Wikileaks info?
Darn tootin'. Lock up the cyber terrorists. 15 15.15%
No way. Let freedom ring. 80 80.81%
Diggedy. Oh, still not sure. 4 4.04%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:04 PM
 
16,546 posts, read 12,561,767 times
Reputation: 4234

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
THERE YOU HAVE IT ..... the criminalization of information ... possession ... reading, whatever .... Whistle Blower? LIFE IN PRISON FOR YOU!!!!

Talk about "setting a precedent" ... this sure does .... but not in the way you suggest.

Look folks ... go ahead and listen to SourD .... because if you don't ... we are all at risk of being exposed to the truth!!! And we just can't allow that, now can we? No-sir-ree ... we need to let the government decide what information we have access to .... because BIG BROTHER knows best, and it's all for our own good ... of course!!
Stealing documents is NOT whistle blowing. It is STEALING! Go ahead and believe in your mind that it is justifiable to steal things. Maybe someday someone will steal something from you and make it public. Would you NOT call the police?

BTW, you can't use STOLEN evidence in a whistle blower case. It can't be used if the information was obtained illegally.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:06 PM
 
3,117 posts, read 4,242,956 times
Reputation: 2872
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
If things are off limits to the publicn then they are off limits. Thet does not in any way give you the right to steal it and make it public. That makes you a criminal.
Again, your argument holds no water. The very people who are being exposed, who NEED to be exposed, are the ones saying that it's "off limits". Well if the people who need exposed are saying that you can't see what they're doing....guess what? You need to stop listening to those people.

That's like me embezzling a bunch of money, somehow gathering ALL the evidence about it and keeping it locked in my basement. Then, when investigators come to get that information, I say "nope, you can't have it. Sorry, it's off limits".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:09 PM
 
11,943 posts, read 13,829,244 times
Reputation: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Someone stole confidential info from the US Gov't. Wikileaks received this info and posted it on the Internet. Some call this akin to espionage & spying. If Assange is arrested then why not people on C-D who cut&paste & re-posted the info? Why would they be any different than Wikileaks? Both are just passing on info that they received.
THANK YOU! Wherever he's arrested, perhaps a mob of ordinary citizens should arrive to have themselves arrested right along with him. All those among the masses angry at fluffernutter news when information was as sparse as a drop of rain in the Sahara... those who wanted answers are traitors.

When 3/4's of the globe is under arrest, then they may burn the libraries.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:10 PM
 
10,069 posts, read 6,373,615 times
Reputation: 4472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Your argument falls apart when you realize that the government has set it up so that there IS no way to obtain these documents legally. The government just abuses its right to claim state secret on anything it wants, whether it belongs as one or not. When government becomes that corrupt, sometimes lawlessness is the only way to put an end to it.

You will recall that our founding fathers were all a bunch of "traitors" and "lawbreakers", as well...
Excellent points .... but just to be clear .... the handling of "classified" information and the penalties for reading, possession, or disclosure of said information comes with a legal, written agreement that is part of the " security clearance" process. This is something that I, nor the average American have ever agreed to, and therefore, not subject to the agreement.

To some TWISTED MINDS here .... they believe that if a good looking woman parades around in public .. NAKED ... anyone who looks at her is also guilty of the crime of indecent exposure!!

That really is the load of garbage being offered up here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:11 PM
 
19,215 posts, read 14,217,678 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Again, your argument holds no water. The very people who are being exposed, who NEED to be exposed, are the ones saying that it's "off limits". Well if the people who need exposed are saying that you can't see what they're doing....guess what? You need to stop listening to those people.

That's like me embezzling a bunch of money, somehow gathering ALL the evidence about it and keeping it locked in my basement. Then, when investigators come to get that information, I say "nope, you can't have it. Sorry, it's off limits".
Yeah, how come the Government isn't protected from unreasonable searches?

I'm gonna go to a judge next chance I get, and git me one of them search warrants.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:12 PM
 
8 posts, read 4,027 times
Reputation: 10
I love what WikiLeaks is doing--exposing the corruption and tyranny of Govt. Keep up the good work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,029 posts, read 7,778,588 times
Reputation: 4210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Someone stole confidential info from the US Gov't. Wikileaks received this info and posted it on the Internet. Some call this akin to espionage & spying. If Assange is arrested then why not people on C-D who cut&paste & re-posted the info? Why would they be any different than Wikileaks? Both are just passing on info that they received.



While you're at it let's arrest all of the good folk over at Google because you can access the info via their search engine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:16 PM
 
19,215 posts, read 14,217,678 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiStatist View Post
I love what WikiLeaks is doing--exposing the corruption and tyranny of Govt. Keep up the good work.
Wikileaks is taking on . . . . Statan!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:19 PM
 
16,546 posts, read 12,561,767 times
Reputation: 4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Excellent points .... but just to be clear .... the handling of "classified" information and the penalties for reading, possession, or disclosure of said information comes with a legal, written agreement that is part of the " security clearance" process. This is something that I, nor the average American have ever agreed to, and therefore, not subject to the agreement.

To some TWISTED MINDS here .... they believe that if a good looking woman parades around in public .. NAKED ... anyone who looks at her is also guilty of the crime of indecent exposure!!

That really is the load of garbage being offered up here.
WHat??? You are saying that classified or secret status doesn't pertain to average citizens? In other words we are ALLOWED to see that stuff? LMAO! Go tell a federal judge that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 19,571,230 times
Reputation: 16898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
The same thought occurred to me while watching the CBS Evening News, whose reporter announced that Wikileaks was hosting a "blueprint for terrorists," and proceeded to announce the names of the allegedly critical installations that Wikileaks had identified. Yea, nothing wrong with releasing the information to ten million more people if it was so terroristic...
One reason why I don't watch the "news" anymore. Local for weather and emergency coverage but most of it is football and misc crimes.

I could say that where I live there is a vital pipeline. Quite true. It funnels all the oil and natural gas from all the other pipelines and is a central storage area. Of course its vital but its hardly secret that its there. A LIST of things is just that, a list. The pentagon is vital but we don't say you can't mention its sitting there.

What is so disgusting is that the very people who should be questioning and keeping government in its zeal to hurry on to the police state open with a free flow of information are failing. Murrow questioned everything. Now CBS is joining the litany that this is a blueprint for terrorists...

One wonders what is there that is truely secret and so much a betrayal of what we are supposed to be that nobody sees it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top