U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should C-D posters be arrested for re-posting Wikileaks info?
Darn tootin'. Lock up the cyber terrorists. 15 15.15%
No way. Let freedom ring. 80 80.81%
Diggedy. Oh, still not sure. 4 4.04%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:23 PM
 
16,546 posts, read 12,559,070 times
Reputation: 4234

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Again, your argument holds no water. The very people who are being exposed, who NEED to be exposed, are the ones saying that it's "off limits". Well if the people who need exposed are saying that you can't see what they're doing....guess what? You need to stop listening to those people.

That's like me embezzling a bunch of money, somehow gathering ALL the evidence about it and keeping it locked in my basement. Then, when investigators come to get that information, I say "nope, you can't have it. Sorry, it's off limits".
You make me laugh. You are so far out in left field with you analogies I'm crying laughing over here. YOU as a citizen can NOT LEGALLY possess such information. I have no idea who your lawyer is, but you need to fire that crackpot! And since YOU were on here touting you were running a mirror of the site, YOU could be held in violation of the espionage act since YOU are NOT a media outlet, so you can't hide behind that BS. Pushing your luck I see.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:23 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 6,179,095 times
Reputation: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Wikileaks stole nothing,it was given the documents.The individual who did so is being prosecuted.

Unless you think the media should be prosecuted for broadcasting anything it is not given permission to by the fedgov. you are on a slippery slope.
Irrelevant. If I download a copy of music, or a dvd that is pirated by someone else, I'm just as guilty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:24 PM
 
19,215 posts, read 14,214,557 times
Reputation: 2337
I did it once. I was about 10 years old. A bill collector came to the house and asked me where my mother was. I told him she told me to tell him she wasn't home.

Boy, did I ever get it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:27 PM
 
11,943 posts, read 13,826,481 times
Reputation: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
He has not yet been charged with any crime in publishing the information.

From a New York Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/08/wo...ewanted=2&_r=1

Justice Department prosecutors have been struggling to find a way to indict Mr. Assange since July, when WikiLeaks made public documents on the war in Afghanistan. But while it is clearly illegal for a government official with a security clearance to give a classified document to WikiLeaks, it is far from clear that it is illegal for the organization to make it public.
Correct. And when they can't arrest him on grounds of justice, they'll manufacture BS and accuse him of rape. Just enough scandal to discredit him in the eyes of sexually repressed blind obedience sheep. They knew every button to push in the masses, and now they'll appeal to loyalties.

To the masses I say-- to what are your allegiances beholden? To what are we loyal to? Go back to the founders. Go back to those hallowed documents of liberty. Stop trying to save face. Are we Americans, or are we a bloodthirsty mob vying for dominance over others? These popularity contests you're running put prostitutes in place of journalists subverting the core principles of free press. If we mean to call ourselves a righteous nation there should be nothing truthful that we fear.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:30 PM
 
10,054 posts, read 6,367,520 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Stealing documents is NOT whistle blowing. It is STEALING! Go ahead and believe in your mind that it is justifiable to steal things. Maybe someday someone will steal something from you and make it public. Would you NOT call the police?

BTW, you can't use STOLEN evidence in a whistle blower case. It can't be used if the information was obtained illegally.
Not if the information exposes criminal conduct!!! You cannot protect evidence of criminal conduct ... because that is a crime in and of itself ... that's called complicity in a crime, after the fact, or obstruction of justice.

The "government" or "authorities" are prohibited from illegally bypassing due process and are required to obtain information "legally", else it can't be used. But you cannot abuse the "Classification" process either. The intent and purpose of "Classifying" information must be legally exercised for the purpose of "national security" ... and NOT to cover up criminal conduct.

Furthermore, it's called "WIKI - LEAKS" not "WIKI-STOLEN". They did't steal anything ... they were the recipients of information. The person stealing and "leaking" the information may very well be in a poor "legal" position from the standpoint of "stealing" information, and disseminating information without authorization. But once the information becomes part of the public domain, it is no longer protected ... it's part of the public domain. Criminalizing the act of reading something on the internet is the final step in TOTAL TYRANNY ... going far beyond anything we've seen thus far.

And, this is in fact a "staged event" to further the real purpose, which is to do EXACTLY what you SHEEP are clamoring for ... a lockdown of the internet ... TOTAL CENSORSHIP ... and creating thought crimes ..... and, sadly, it seems to be working quite well on people like you.

How easy it is to manipulate small minds!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:31 PM
 
16,546 posts, read 12,559,070 times
Reputation: 4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Correct. And when they can't arrest him on grounds of justice, they'll manufacture BS and accuse him of rape. Just enough scandal to discredit him in the eyes of sexually repressed blind obedience sheep. They knew every button to push in the masses, and now they'll appeal to loyalties.

To the masses I say-- to what are your allegiances beholden? To what are we loyal to? Go back to the founders. Go back to those hallowed documents of liberty. Stop trying to save face. Are we Americans, or are we a bloodthirsty mob vying for dominance over others? These popularity contests you're running put prostitutes in place of journalists subverting the core principles of free press. If we mean to call ourselves a righteous nation there should be nothing truthful that we fear.
That NYtimes article is clearly wrong. He can be arrested for trafficking and possessing stolen property. If we are to be a nation of laws, laws have to be upheld. Stealing property is a criminal act. Can I steal something from you and make it public? Would you care?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:34 PM
 
10,054 posts, read 6,367,520 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Irrelevant. If I download a copy of music, or a dvd that is pirated by someone else, I'm just as guilty.
Yes indeed ... according to the laws now ... you certainly are. And if things proceed at their current rates .... it won't be long now before they put you right where you belong .... life in prison for the unauthorized possession of an illegally obtained copy of Michael Jackson's "Thriller".

And we'll all be much safer with arch criminals like you off of our streets!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:35 PM
 
16,546 posts, read 12,559,070 times
Reputation: 4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Not if the information exposes criminal conduct!!! You cannot protect evidence of criminal conduct ... because that is a crime in and of itself ... that's called complicity in a crime, after the fact, or obstruction of justice.

The "government" or "authorities" are prohibited from illegally bypassing due process and are required to obtain information "legally", else it can't be used. But you cannot abuse the "Classification" process either. The intent and purpose of "Classifying" information must be legally exercised for the purpose of "national security" ... and NOT to cover up criminal conduct.

Furthermore, it's called "WIKI - LEAKS" not "WIKI-STOLEN". They did't steal anything ... they were the recipients of information. The person stealing and "leaking" the information may very well be in a poor "legal" position from the standpoint of "stealing" information, and disseminating information without authorization. But once the information becomes part of the public domain, it is no longer protected ... it's part of the public domain. Criminalizing the act of reading something on the internet is the final step in TOTAL TYRANNY ... going far beyond anything we've seen thus far.

And, this is in fact a "staged event" to further the real purpose, which is to do EXACTLY what you SHEEP are clamoring for ... a lockdown of the internet ... TOTAL CENSORSHIP ... and creating thought crimes ..... and, sadly, it seems to be working quite well on people like you.

How easy it is to manipulate small minds!
You are completely paranoid my man. COMPLETELY! This has NOTHING to do with shutting down the internet, it may be the grand scheme of things in the current administration, but I don't think that. Maybe you are right, nobody knows, not even you. You guys are such hypocrits though, you are CONDONING illegal activity. BTW, being in possession of STOLEN documents is a damn crime whether the name is WIKI-LEAKS or not. Why can't you people understand this? The damn content has not a damn thing to do with what I am saying. You CAN NOT recieve stolen property KNOWINGLY and call it legal. You just can't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:43 PM
 
3,117 posts, read 4,241,846 times
Reputation: 2872
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You make me laugh. You are so far out in left field with you analogies I'm crying laughing over here. YOU as a citizen can NOT LEGALLY possess such information. I have no idea who your lawyer is, but you need to fire that crackpot! And since YOU were on here touting you were running a mirror of the site, YOU could be held in violation of the espionage act since YOU are NOT a media outlet, so you can't hide behind that BS. Pushing your luck I see.
As someone else said, I never agreed to be bound by the terms of any confidentiality agreements. Why do you think Assange has not been charged in the US? Because there's nothing to charge him with.

You're just an extreme right wing crackpot who spent too much time watching wrasslin' as a kid, and came up with the train of thought that the good guy in your mind is always right and the heel is always wrong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:44 PM
 
3,117 posts, read 4,241,846 times
Reputation: 2872
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Yeah, how come the Government isn't protected from unreasonable searches?

I'm gonna go to a judge next chance I get, and git me one of them search warrants.
Only PEOPLE are protected from searches. The government is not a person.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top