Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should C-D posters be arrested for re-posting Wikileaks info?
Darn tootin'. Lock up the cyber terrorists. 15 15.15%
No way. Let freedom ring. 80 80.81%
Diggedy. Oh, still not sure. 4 4.04%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,256,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Interesting, never thought of it that way..

Possession of Stolen Property Law & Legal Definition

The offense of property possession of stolen property is made up of two parts. First, a person charged with this offense must have property that was (or was partly) gained by theft, fraud, or any other crime. Second, the person must have known that the property was stolen or gained by fraud. Also, if the prosecutor can show that it was obvious that a reasonable person would have thought the property was stolen and the accused failed to investigate whether it was stolen or not, he or she can be found guilty of possession of stolen property.

Sure sounds like wikileaks
Intellectual property is in a class of its own, in a separate body of law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 12:01 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,591,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
So if I download movies and/or music am I wrong?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:01 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,397,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Be VERY careful what you wish for,those of you demanding something be done....

Has WikiLeaks Actually Done Anything Illegal?: Tech News «
If the information is STOLEN any news media outlet airing it SHOULD be held accountable. It is a completely different story if it is GIVEN to the media from a person who has LEGAL access to the information and LEGALLY is allowed to have it.

The media is purposely trying to muddy this up. Wikileaks is IN POSSESSION of STOLEN Classified US Federal property and they know it. End of story.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:03 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,397,880 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call this intellectual property. It is CLASSIFIED GOVERNMENT PROPERTY! Big, big difference there. Intellectual property is like a song or movie.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:05 PM

I was once charged with stealing some girl's heart away.

I beat the rap when she dropped the complaint, but I would have beat her in court anyway.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,839,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Be VERY careful what you wish for,those of you demanding something be done....

Publishing those documents is not illegal — or at least, not yet, which is why Senator Joe Lieberman (I-Conn), the chairman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs committee, has put forward his proposed SHIELD law (which stands for Securing Human Intelligence and Enforcing Lawful Dissemination), which would make it a crime to publish leaked classified information if doing so endangered U.S. agents or was otherwise not in the national interest. And this law would not just apply to WikiLeaks, but potentially any mainstream or online publication or media outlet that chose to publish any of the information, since — as I have tried to argue before — WikiLeaks is effectively a media entity.

Has WikiLeaks Actually Done Anything Illegal?: Tech News «
Hopefully someone here can refresh my memory, but didnt we have a big investigation over the outing of a CIA agent (Valerie Plame) because outing them is illegal?

So its illegal to out agents, but not illegal to publish information which outs them?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I wouldn't call this intellectual property. It is CLASSIFIED GOVERNMENT PROPERTY! Big, big difference there. Intellectual property is like a song or movie.
What Wikileaks "has", is not "real" property.

Legal Definition of Real Property

69,368 posts, read 63,839,164 times
Quote:
Intellectual property theft is still a crime..

cybercrime.gov (http://www.justice.gov/criminal/cybercrime/ippolicy.html - broken link)

On July 23, 1999, the Department of Justice, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the U.S. Customs service announced the establishment of a law enforcement initiative aimed at combating the growing challenge of piracy and counterfeiting of intellectual property, both domestically and internationally. "At the same time that our information economy is soaring, so is intellectual property theft," said Deputy Attorney General Eric Holder. "We are here to send the message that those who steal our intellectual property will be prosecuted. This is theft, pure and simple." Mr. Holder's remarks and a press release describing the announcement of the initiative may be accessed via the links below:

19,567 posts, read 21,792,921 times
The Abu Ghraib abuses becoming public was not in the national interest of the USA.

My Lai massacre was not either.

Something to remember when you get all hot and heavy about classified documents and secrecy.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:09 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,182,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Read post #15
You're trying to take intellectual property laws and apply them to diplomatic correspondence?

I lol'd. Even the government isn't that desperate yet.

Quote:
Publishing those documents is not illegal — or at least, not yet, which is why Senator Joe Lieberman (I-Conn), the chairman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs committee, has put forward his proposed SHIELD law (which stands for Securing Human Intelligence and Enforcing Lawful Dissemination), which would make it a crime to publish leaked classified information if doing so endangered U.S. agents or was otherwise not in the national interest. And this law would not just apply to WikiLeaks, but potentially any mainstream or online publication or media outlet that chose to publish any of the information, since — as I have tried to argue before — WikiLeaks is effectively a media entity.
I guess some are getting what they wanted, ie: the ability of the government to engage in any unethical or illegal activity it wants and protect itself from accusation by declaring the proof "confidential". What a Brave New World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies