U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should C-D posters be arrested for re-posting Wikileaks info?
Darn tootin'. Lock up the cyber terrorists. 15 15.15%
No way. Let freedom ring. 80 80.81%
Diggedy. Oh, still not sure. 4 4.04%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:39 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,892,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So when they began to broadcast that Plume was a CIA operative it wasnt illegal, even though it was public knowledge at the time? Then wth was the big deal about?

Again, just because I think the releasing of documents are illegal, it doesnt mean I support the actions being disclosed. One doesnt justify the other.
But what you're advocating is making it nigh impossible to know the actions disclosed are occurring.

Why do you think they do the things in the first place? Because even if we knew what was going on, there's nothing we could do about it without proof, which they own and classify. Expecting government accountability with the chips so unevenly stacked is like running a criminal justice system without warrants or subpoenas. You have to rely on the good nature of the perp to admit his own crimes, usually long after they can be punished.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 11:40 AM

16,546 posts, read 12,554,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I can and enjoy handling it just fine thanks. And it's a good idea. People all over the world would get along just fine without these governments influence. Try that on.
If you think it is a good idea, then lobby your representative and tell them to make ALL classified documents available to the general public. Until then, you will always be in the dark about certain things.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:40 AM

17,589 posts, read 13,955,317 times
So I must ask SourD do YOU think they know about flying saucers and if they did do YOU want to know? Just asking.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 AM

19,556 posts, read 20,612,573 times
To those who support secrecy,what is to stop the fedgov. simply making everything that is troublesome or could embarass it secret?

WHY should gun camera footage depicting the inadvertent killing of civilians be classified a secret?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 AM

19,215 posts, read 14,209,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
here is a scenario for those who dont think this is a crime..

If a GS employee takes code from GS, its intellectual property and is considered theft..
Goldman employee 'stole' million dollar software codes | IT PRO

Now what if this employee had taken this code and then Investors Business daily gives out the code, are they immune from damages? Of course not..
How can you steal from your government if it is of, by and for, you?

You already own the property.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
But what you're advocating is making it nigh impossible to know the actions disclosed are occurring.

Why do you think they do the things in the first place? Because even if we knew what was going on, there's nothing we could do about it without proof, which they own and classify. Expecting government accountability with the chips so unevenly stacked is like running a criminal justice system without warrants or subpoenas. You have to rely on the good nature of the perp to admit his own crimes, usually long after they can be punished.
What is going on here is EXACTLY what you described. There was NO WARRANT issued for the obtaining of those documents. NONE! So you are ok with this being done illegally?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
To those who support secrecy,what is to stop the fedgov. simply making everything that is troublesome or could embarass it secret?

WHY should gun camera footage depicting the inadvertent killing of civilians be classified a secret?
Everything already of that nature is kept secret, what else is new. As far as the gun camera footage, it's about decency and bad taste. Why do you want to see civilians getting killed?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
So I must ask SourD do YOU think they know about flying saucers and if they did do YOU want to know? Just asking.
The reason The feds haven't said anything about flying saucers is because there never has been any to speak of. I couldn't really care any less if they kept it a secret. Although it would be impossible that the government was the only people that ever saw one if they did exist. The chances of that happening that way are just too damn silly to even contemplate.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:47 AM

69,360 posts, read 59,967,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post

I'll be the first one to admit that I distrust government. Anyone who has read my postings here would know that I absolutely dispise it. But that doesnt mean its ok to steal from them even if they are hiding information which should be disclosed. I dont like GS either, but that doesnt mean I am entitled to their investment programs. I dont like Amazon (have one of those love/hate relationships with them), but that doesnt mean I'm entitled to their webprogramming code.

I find it odd that the very progressives that claim we are "progressing" now want to resort to the old grab your gun, shootem up cow boy style ideaology. Theft is theft. We are a nation of laws. Without the rule of law this nation is nothing. I dont agree with the information being disclosed but that doesnt mean we should condone other laws being broken. You cant support one rule of law while opposing one without being a hypocrite, no matter the justification in doing so..

Old 12-07-2010, 11:48 AM

19,215 posts, read 14,209,456 times
Quote:
I am sure the answer is no.

No one would want to know that!

You're right, some things are best kept from us.

Knowledge is evil.

Turn out the lights.

Avoid the illumination.

Disregard the snotty illuminati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies