U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should C-D posters be arrested for re-posting Wikileaks info?
Darn tootin'. Lock up the cyber terrorists. 15 15.15%
No way. Let freedom ring. 80 80.81%
Diggedy. Oh, still not sure. 4 4.04%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:50 AM

69,360 posts, read 59,927,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
How can you steal from your government if it is of, by and for, you?

You already own the property.
So you think it would be ok for me to go outside and jump in a cop car and joyride around town? How about courthouses, do you think you can claim to be "owner" of the courthouse and thereby allowed to walk through carrying firearms, just like you can in your home? And am I entitled to a percentage of tax revenues and profits from the "TARP" plan? Please let me know when I should expect a check

What belongs to the government does not belong to you...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 11:51 AM

19,556 posts, read 20,600,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Everything already of that nature is kept secret, what else is new. As far as the gun camera footage, it's about decency and bad taste. Why do you want to see civilians getting killed?
Yet video footage of terrorists and insurgents being killed is fine?

Somehow I think you know WHY it was classified and it had nothing to do with decency or good taste.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:51 AM

19,215 posts, read 14,198,513 times
Quote:
How can you steal from your government if it is of, by and for, you?

You already own the property.
Ya can't steal what you already own.

The Government is accountable to the people, not the other way around.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Yet video footage of terrorists and insurgents being killed is fine?

Somehow I think you know WHY it was classified and it had nothing to do with decency or good taste.
Quite the opposite.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Ya can't steal what you already own.

The Government is accountable to the people, not the other way around.
Wrong.. the people setup government but that doesnt mean you own it.. In the same manner CEO's cant take company assets and claim its theirs and I cant move assets from one corporation to another without violating laws in regards to conversion of corporate assets..

I setup corporations and what the corporation does belongs to the corporation. I dont get ownership of assets until the corporation gives me those assets.

The people setup government, and what government does, belongs to government. You dont get ownership of those assets until givernment gives it to you.

Just because we have a vote doesnt mean you can take what belongs to the government, no more than an investor who buys stock in McDonalds is entitled to the money in the cash register or free food.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:56 AM

19,889 posts, read 17,567,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Someone stole confidential info from the US Gov't. Wikileaks received this info and posted it on the Internet. Some call this akin to espionage & spying. If Assange is arrested then why not people on C-D who cut&paste & re-posted the info? Why would they be any different than Wikileaks? Both are just passing on info that they received.

Nope very different Wiki was the originator, patient zero if you will. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 55,583,729 times
Ergohead - Unless you see government as some Big Daddy that is going to defend you against terrorists or progressive taxation. Then government can do anything it pleases (Internment of Japanese Americans anyone?) so long as it makes them and their money safe.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wrong.. the people setup government but that doesnt mean you own it.. In the same manner CEO's cant take company assets and claim its theirs and I cant move assets from one corporation to another without violating laws in regards to conversion of corporate assets..

I setup corporations and what the corporation does belongs to the corporation.. The people setup government, and what government does, belongs to government.. Just because we have a vote doesnt mean we own it no more than a stock holder is entitled to just take assets of the corporation they invest in...
They can, and do, especially when it's their a$$.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:58 AM

11,449 posts, read 15,257,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I'm not saying that this stuff shouldn't be available to the public, but NOT if it is stolen. Where does the rule of law fit into this? POTUS.
Right, the world should await that the US will tell about unethical shady deals and covering up the deaths of civilians.
Keep on the wearing the white hat of a freedom and justice loving government.
The only rule of law that the US lives by is: Might Makes Right.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
They can, and do, especially when it's their a$$.
If you take assets from your corporation and then claim them as yours, its theft... title is "conversion of corporate assets".. its illegal, embezzlement.. If its illegal for me to take assets from the company that I own, then its also illegal for you to do the same to government that you dont own.

This includes documents

Conversion of Property legal definition of Conversion of Property. Conversion of Property synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
and written documents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies