Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 01:15 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,749,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
http://www.census.gov/prod/2008pubs/p20-558.pdf

Women on welfare are having children at a rate of 3 times that of women who do not receive public assistance.
Would it interest you to know that the only welfare queens I have ever met up close and personal are socially conservative white women? They vote republican and believe the government ought to pay them for motherhood. No joke. The church is just supplemental income to them but they game it from every conceivable angle and are training their daughters to do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
When you see Trump leave you know everything is over and we lost the rich to other countries. We need the rich to keep the jobs running. They buy here or they will buy from other countries and take companies to other countries.
If your allegiance is to a corporation it's best you follow them and not serve 2 masters. You aren't an American anymore.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
While you tea party types are blowing steam out of your teapots, the GOP is about to add BILLIONS more to the debt and will soon vote to raise the debt ceiling.

Lets see where your integrity lays and listen for you to make a peep when it all goes down. My guess is you won't, but instead stick to your partisan conspiracy theories taken from the latest ramblings of professor Beck.
GOP have an exit strategy for Afghanistan??? The biggest cash cow that ever was. :: crickets:::

Old 12-08-2010, 01:32 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,284,882 times
Quote:
If Claire wants to "level the playing field," how about instituting the flat tax? You can't get more level than that. Everyone pays the same tax rate.
But not the same percentage of expenditure.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
According to what my tax lady tells me we are somewhere between the lower middle class and the middle middle class and yet I cannot understand how McCaskill and her friends reason about the GOP wanting to hurt the middle class. I think they know what they are saying but they know that they are taking advantage of those who don't understand the whole thing but who do vote Democrat.
Roys in your town Kansas you have no clue how GOP economic experiments reak havoc on urban dwellers. If they ever failed to control their feelings about Reagan that mans body would have been dragged in the street and torn apart during his funeral. We bit our tongue out of respect. Now you need to wake up.
Every offset for bottom class was born on middle class back with Bush plans. He punished people who saved money and didn't string themselves out on credit cards and mortgages. He punished the hell out of small business and gave unfair advantages to large conglomerations. We went along with your plan, lower the taxes for the wealthiest class but that's not enough-- they reward everyone paying higher taxes by raising the cost of living. Are your adult kids living in your basement? Can they afford to live in their own home town?

Old 12-08-2010, 01:37 AM

Quote:
If Claire wants to "level the playing field," how about instituting the flat tax? You can't get more level than that. Everyone pays the same tax rate.
Indeed. And the 20 miles of loopholes burned in a tea party bonfire? But... no, they've got to protect special interest corporations.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:48 AM

30,876 posts, read 36,825,967 times
We can scream about whether or not the tax cuts should be maintained all we want, but I think we need to both have serious tax increases as well as serious cuts/reforms to programs like Social Security, Medicare, & some Defense cuts as well.

--We blow a lot of money on health care that isn't spent effeictively, for starters.

--Same goes for higher education.(although I realize most of that spending is at the state/local level).The costs of which have far outstripped the general rate of inflation over the last 40 years (same with health care).

--I do think those with high incomes will need to pay more in tax. I don't necessarily think it's fair for the highest income brackets to pay so muich....but it's better than the alternative of defaulting on our debts....which no one will believe can happen until it's too late to do anything about it (a la Ireland and Greece).

--We also need to pay more in gas taxes. This will bring more money to the government in the short run, and get us thinking about alternatives & conservation for the long run. It will also help our trade deficit...1/2 of which is because of oil imports.

--They should hike the alcohol tax as well.

--I'm also in favor of reducing or eliminating the mortgage interest deduction for future home purchases (ok to grandfather in existing homeowners). I think it ends up being a subsidy for the banks more than anyone. It isn't really a productive tax break for our economy in the long run, as housing is not a productive asset in the way machines and other capital expenditures are.

I think we're going to need to do ALL of the above things....plus some serious brainstorming about how to innovate to grow our economy more, if we want to seriously cut our deficit.

Simply keeping taxes low and getting rid of things like welfare and extended unemployment benefits are not going to even come close to getting the deficit down. And for liberals...neither is ending the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan. The spending cuts will have to go much deeper...to programs that people actually hold near & dear to their hearts (and their wallets). We've exhausted all other possibilities.

Republicans are the party of borrow and spend. Democrats are the party of borrow and spend even more. It's not working.

America is going to learn what sacrifice looks like sooner or later. The longer we wait, the worse it will be.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 12-08-2010 at 01:58 AM..

Old 12-08-2010, 07:16 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,389,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Indeed. And the 20 miles of loopholes burned in a tea party bonfire? But... no, they've got to protect special interest corporations.
Harborlady, "20 miles of loopholes" is a great phrase. Honest people of all political views ought to be able to agree, the tax code is not something that COngress should divide up and raffle off to the highest bidder. Special breaks for NASCAR track owners or the importers of rum are un-American: we should all play by the same rules.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:46 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,555,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
This is the arrogance of liberals.

"Millionaires" already "give" 36% of THEIR income to the US government. How much do you "give"? Well, I say it is not enough and by royal decree, I command that you give more!

Unless you "give" the same percentage, or the same gross amount, I think that you have a poor moral position to cast dispersions.

It is not "your money" either. It is the money of the people who earned it-not yours or the federal government's. This money was never yours or the federal government's in the first place. Do you presume to own the incomes and assets of everyone in America?
I think you completely misunderstood my post.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:00 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,652,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The wealthier people who are the top 1% probably at this point pay 80% of the payroll taxes.
per the IRS, the top 1% pay 27.5% of the total payroll tax in this country.

that is a far cry from your "probably 80%"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies