Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 PM

130 posts, read 579,083 times

Advertisements

The guy is a hero. People are finally realizing that they are smarter and stronger than the government. The first time since 1776.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 09:24 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,141 times
Hopefully it's the begining of a revolutionary over throw of our toxic, lying, self serving, POS government. Throw the whole system out and start over. It's the only way.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:07 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Are you serious?
You despise terrorists. Everyone does. Even people in Afghansistan and Palestine. Whatever life they mean to have for themselves is undermined.

Whatever life the Russian people meant to have for themselves was undermined by their own government, and we are not immune if the checks and balances that secure liberty are not restored. The checks and balances are compromised.

Can't we all just get along is a collossal joke, absolutely, because it's much too profitable to instigate strife. End the profit motive, the strife will mysteriously dwindle down to nothingness.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:13 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
Hopefully it's the begining of a revolutionary over throw of our toxic, lying, self serving, POS government. Throw the whole system out and start over. It's the only way.
The only thing you need to do to reform government is remove the campaign money and send K street back where they came from. Anything they have to request of my government they can do in open forum like this and let all of us read it. Level the field once and for all.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Lots of folks are offering to help Assange by paying his bail, so I guess I'm not alone in thinking that he is right that people should know what their governments are up to.

Patricia David, a professor, and the top lawyer Geoffrey Sheen each offered up £20,000 surety on grounds that they had spent their lives fighting for human rights.

Outside court Pilger said: "This business in Sweden is a travesty; an innocent man has a right to be free.

"Having his freedom taken away is outrageous. Sweden should be ashamed. This is not justice – this is outrageous."

He added: "Behind this he has made a lot of enemies, the principal one being the warmonger, the United States."

Howard Riddle, the judge at the court in Horseferry Road, London, commended four of the sureties for their willingness to help "out of concern for human rights" and without personal knowledge of Assange.

Julian Assange's celebrity supporters stake reputations on case | Media | The Guardian

PS...Notice the statement "the warmonger, the United States"....This is the way most of the world thinks of the US.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:36 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I expected to be outraged over WikiLeaks, but then the information started flowing. There was a fascinating story in this Sunday NYT about the attacks on Google by China...they even stole Google's proprietary source code. The more I read this and other stories I couldn't help but wonder, why is our government holding this stuff back? China is ripping off America, why are we supposed to pretend otherwise?

But its not just China, almost every story I've read has left me shrugging my shoulders and thinking big deal. I don't think Julian Assange is an angel, he strikes me as a first class a$$, and I love that Sweden, perfectly comfortable letting him use highly secure, no-questions-asked hosting services, wants to bust him for a broken condom. So much for the Swedish tolerance.

I'm not upset over this latest round from WikiLeaks, but I am upset that our government wants to shield the public from a certain level of truth, even if its embarrassing. I'm also upset with our media, feasting daily on these leaks, when they should have been outing the government in the first place.
Makes a heck of a lot more interesting reading than the fore mentioned New York Times.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:37 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
I like the freedom that Wikileaks represents. Mike Huckabee said that the founder of Wikileaks should be executed. I can't imagine anyone who cherishes freedom would support Mike Huckabee after that comment.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:42 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I expected to be outraged over WikiLeaks, but then the information started flowing. There was a fascinating story in this Sunday NYT about the attacks on Google by China...they even stole Google's proprietary source code. The more I read this and other stories I couldn't help but wonder, why is our government holding this stuff back? China is ripping off America, why are we supposed to pretend otherwise?

But its not just China, almost every story I've read has left me shrugging my shoulders and thinking big deal. I don't think Julian Assange is an angel, he strikes me as a first class a$$, and I love that Sweden, perfectly comfortable letting him use highly secure, no-questions-asked hosting services, wants to bust him for a broken condom. So much for the Swedish tolerance.

I'm not upset over this latest round from WikiLeaks, but I am upset that our government wants to shield the public from a certain level of truth, even if its embarrassing. I'm also upset with our media, feasting daily on these leaks, when they should have been outing the government in the first place.

I am not upset with Wikileaks. I mean, thats what they do... they "leak" stuff
I am much more upset with the leaker (the army wus) who leaked the stuff to wikileaks. He is the bad guy here

Who do you think Bill Clinton is more upset with? Monica Lewisnsky, or Linda Tripp?

Old 12-07-2010, 10:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Joe Lieberman is going after the New York Times for publishing cables.
Think he'll want to "assassinate" anyone there ?

Will the NYT roll over like everyone else did or stand firm ?
Time to take a stand people. Suppression of the media ?

WikiLeaks: US Senator Joe Lieberman suggests New York Times could be investigated | World news | guardian.co.uk

"A leading US senator suggested tonight that the New York Times and other news organisations publishing the US embassy cables being released by WikiLeaks could be investigated for breaking US espionage laws."

Old 12-07-2010, 10:59 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
I have mixed feelings concerning open government, national security, lots of issues but the wiki leaks being a reason to execute the guy is in my opinion less an issue than the rape charges he is facing.

He has back up plans for the leaks to continue it would appear but if he did the rapes and it can be proven that he raped those girls, if he is convicted I would be happy to see him executed for the rapes. That won't happen, look where he is being tried.
He will be facing the music for his espionage in the U.S. and we will let the legal system deal with him in due time. Stick him a place like gitmo for all I care. He is a U.S.A. hater and what he is doing is an act of war, it could be argued.

My self, I would like to hit him in the face with a fresh cow pie just because I don't like his looks. ! I'm just joking about the cow pie thing but if he is convicted of anything he did that hurts our nation I want him put in general population of a hard core prison. In Australia I think they would call that; "Fair Dinkum"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies