Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:44 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
First of all, I am a mam, not a sir.
Apologies.

Quote:
What exactly do you think that this chart proves? I am not wrong. Compare MS with a state like MA or NY and it will prove my point even more.
Your comment was the poor in Mississippi or Alabama vote Republican. The chart shows that the overwhelming majority of counties below the poverty threshold vote Democrat, while all the middle class and wealthy counties in Mississippi are Republican.

I do not have a list for New York, the best I can do is New Jersey;

Even in a high income state like New Jersey, the Republican counties are exclusively at the top range. The vast majority of New Jersey's counties that are below the state median income level are Democrat.

Quote:
When I said that the poor are more likely to vote Republican in those states, I didn't mean that none of them vote Democrat or that there are no blue counties. However, if we put this up against a blue state, I am sure that those lower median incomes (lower than 35 k) will have a lot more blue bars than MS. That was the point I was making. MS is a poor state and it is red...common sense, try it sometimes. The median income in the state is far below the US average which just proves even more that the majority of voters in the state vote against their interests. I guess I should have worded my last post better because I didn't mean that the majority of the poor vote republican, I meant that there are more poor republican voters in states like MS and AL compared to states like MA, NY, CA etc.
I would hardly call $62,000 a poor income. Mississippi has one of the lowest costs of living in the nation, earning $35,000 or more would put you in the middle class there. With the exception of a handful of counties, nearly all of Mississippi's less than middle class counties vote overwhelmingly Democrat.

And for the record it is extremely arrogant for you to assume you know what is best for the poor, and to assume you know what their best interests are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 08:49 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
More food for thought: Why do the richest states vote Democrat and the poorest vote Republican? Yet the Republicans are the party of the rich. Something isnt adding up.
Like all such mantras about the rich, the ruling class, the powers that be, they are not monolithic, or homogeneous. Fortunately for the country, rich Democrats seem to have a bit more concern for the country than their own personal bottom line.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:37 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Like all such mantras about the rich, the ruling class, the powers that be, they are not monolithic, or homogeneous. Fortunately for the country, rich Democrats seem to have a bit more concern for the country than their own personal bottom line.
This is what makes the fundamental core of both parties. The republicans got theirs and say "get lost" to everyone else. The democrats got theirs and say "let me help you to get here as well"

Old 12-08-2010, 12:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Below is a list of the wealthiest 30 counties in the country. 22 out of the 30 voted Democrat in the last Presidential election. Kinda debunks the Republicans being the party of the rich doesnt it.

New York, New York $120,790 DEMOCRAT
Loving, Texas $99,593
Pitkin, Colorado $93,465 DEMOCRAT
Marin, California $91,483 DEMOCRAT
Fairfield, Connecticut $81,576 DEMOCRAT
Westchester, New York $74,878 DEMOCRAT
San Mateo, California $71,753 DEMOCRAT
Morris, New Jersey $71,713 DEMOCRAT
San Francisco, California $71,342 DEMOCRAT
Somerset, New Jersey $70,949 DEMOCRAT
Alexandria City, Virginia $70,632 DEMOCRAT
Arlington, Virginia $68,270 DEMOCRAT
Fairfax, Virginia $67,909 DEMOCRAT
Montgomery, Maryland $67,525 DEMOCRAT
Bergen, New Jersey $67,125 DEMOCRAT
Hunterdon, New Jersey $66,449 DEMOCRAT
Sully, North Dakota $64,352
Blaine, Idaho $64,207
Collier, Florida $63,276
Nassau, New York $62,981 DEMOCRAT
District of Columbia $62,484 DEMOCRAT
Norfolk, Massachusetts $62,129 DEMOCRAT
Montgomery, Pennsylvania $62,086 DEMOCRAT
Martin, Florida $61,868
Sublette, Wyoming $61,411
Monroe, Florida $61,216 DEMOCRAT
Santa Clara, California $60,107 DEMOCRAT
Ozaukee, Wisconsin $60,059
Indian River, Florida $59,419

Link? There is a county in Kansas that I believe should be there that is not on the list. I'd like to see the source, please.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:13 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
This is what makes the fundamental core of both parties. The republicans got theirs and say "get lost" to everyone else. The democrats got theirs and say "let me help you to get here as well"
Really? Then why don't they give their actual money to help other people? Studies show that Republicans give more money, more time, and more blood to other people than Democrats:

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).
-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.
-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.
-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.
-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

Just look at Biden's charity giving and Obama's before he became President, they were disgraceful. If they are so interested in helping other people- why doesn't that reflect in their actions?

Old 12-08-2010, 12:26 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

Voters $100k+
  • McCain won the majority of people with incomes of $100-200k (51/48 50/48)
  • Obama won the majority of people with incomes of $200k+ (52/46)

Old 12-08-2010, 12:29 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
It's true more of the rich are democrats which makes them such great people. They want a tax increase on themselves because it's what's best for the american people who hired them. Also as you listed the most prosperous, wealthy, and intelligent states are all democratic, while the least educated, poorest and unhealthy states are all republican.
If they want an increase that bad, they can open their wallets and send the treasury more money each year. Pretty simple right? Also, what do you mean by this?

"because it's what's best for the american people who hired them"

Who hired who for what?

Old 12-08-2010, 12:31 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Link? There is a county in Kansas that I believe should be there that is not on the list. I'd like to see the source, please.
Johnson County?

Old 12-08-2010, 12:41 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,523 times
Quote:
It's true more of the rich are democrats which makes them such great people. They want a tax increase on themselves because it's what's best for the american people who hired them. Also as you listed the most prosperous, wealthy, and intelligent states are all democratic, while the least educated, poorest and unhealthy states are all republican.
OH SNAPS

Old 12-08-2010, 02:33 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Really? Then why don't they give their actual money to help other people? Studies show that Republicans give more money, more time, and more blood to other people than Democrats:

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).
-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.
-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.
-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.
-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

Just look at Biden's charity giving and Obama's before he became President, they were disgraceful. If they are so interested in helping other people- why doesn't that reflect in their actions?

I'd be interested to see the source of that so I can understand how they went about defining liberals and conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies