Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:58 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,115,504 times

Advertisements

Does anyone outside of their blood line actually AGREE with Westboro Baptist?

War vet charged with stalking church group is released, put under care - CNN.com

Retired Sgt. Ryan Newell of Marion, Kansas, has been charged with felony conspiracy to commit aggravated battery against leaders and members of Westboro Baptist Church, led by Pastor Fred Phelps of Topeka, Kansas. Phelps' family members and church members were in Wichita, Kansas, when Newell allegedly stalked them, with weapons in his vehicle.
The Phelps family and their church have drawn controversy for their picketing at soldiers' funerals and asserting that the soldiers' deaths are God's punishment for America's "sin of homosexuality."

Couldn't Phelps-Roper statement be considered a death threat?
"He thinks (if he is released on bail), he is going to go back and try it again. He's already had a God-smack, and he's going to try to get another one again. This time he's not going to lose his limbs. He's going to lose his life. God is going to kill him. He warned, 'Don't touch my people,'" Phelps-Roper said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 12:34 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,772,490 times
It's a pretty veiled threat.

I don't know what the stalking laws are in Kansas, but it seems pretty clear he was following church members on the day he was arrested, and he had weapons and ammunition in his car. Whether the two facts are related will be something that a jury will have to determine. At least he's been released. And people can donate to his defense fund, as they've evidently been doing. The Westboro Church group is detestable, both regarding their message, and the tactics they employ to spread their message. It's hard to be sympathetic to them. But I've also been stalked before, and that's not acceptable, either.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:36 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,829,777 times
If convicted at the felony level he losses all the rights he fought and lost his legs for. Sad. The stalking charge loses his firearms so the Phelps family mouthpiece is going for drama. Yes, a good defense attorney will argue her statement is a death threat.

I'd rather this decorated vet get the mental health help he needs. He did not receive a "God smack" but was caught by observant law enforcement in a pack of lies (falsely claimed to be LE from another county) in addition to tailing the group of haters following one of their protest events.

As for the mental health help the inbred Phelps clan needs: they are beyond help except a "God smack".

Old 12-08-2010, 01:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,290,353 times
Remember, this "church" is nothing but a tax dodge. It's all his family, including some who are lawyers. I'm sure they are enjoying the publicty of this event. As much as I despise them, the worst thing would be if someone actually comitted violence against them because then they would get to claim the lable of victims instead of the correct lable of perpetrators of misery and suffereing.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,105,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Remember, this "church" is nothing but a tax dodge. It's all his family, including some who are lawyers. I'm sure they are enjoying the publicty of this event. As much as I despise them, the worst thing would be if someone actually comitted violence against them because then they would get to claim the lable of victims instead of the correct lable of perpetrators of misery and suffereing.
I wouldn't mind if they got tarred and feathered, Old West style.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:57 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,829,777 times
Quote:
Agreed. I can understand this vet's frustrations and wish to act out but he was wrong in his actions. I hope he is able to get the help he needs in a PTSD plea.

Give this inbred clan enough rope and they will hang themselves one day by abusing the law they abuse. Personally, I hope they get their own God-smack that wipes them off the face of the earth similar to the manner of the vengeful God they so falsely portray. YMMV.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:07 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,182,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's a pretty veiled threat.

I don't know what the stalking laws are in Kansas, but it seems pretty clear he was following church members on the day he was arrested, and he had weapons and ammunition in his car. Whether the two facts are related will be something that a jury will have to determine. At least he's been released. And people can donate to his defense fund, as they've evidently been doing. The Westboro Church group is detestable, both regarding their message, and the tactics they employ to spread their message. It's hard to be sympathetic to them. But I've also been stalked before, and that's not acceptable, either.
That group has been known to play their game at the funerals of politicians, also. They came to our small town to demonstrate against the former State Senator and State Supreme Court justice who had been a strong Democrat all his life. The same motorcycle group who came when they came here to demonstrate at a soldier's funeral also came that day.

The Phelps group came prepared on the day of the Justice's funeral with their loud speaker system and weren't allowed to get closer than three blocks to the church. When they tried to talk on their loudspeaker system for some reason all those idling bikes were revved up. It sounded like the old groups from the 60s that were taking over a small town and using their noise to convince the people. I never heard one word of the crap coming from the Phelps group.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:11 PM

20,409 posts, read 12,316,405 times
If I had been the arresting police officer, I would have forgotten to read this guy his rights.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:16 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,639,543 times
Quote:
I sooo can't wait until an IncestBoro member croaks, 'cause then I'll have me a funeral to picket!

Old 12-08-2010, 02:16 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,165,425 times
I would gladly light the fuse to the bomb under their arses...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies