Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 12:00 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Please state a Communist country, either present or in past history, that actually achieved economic equality sans the existence of an elite class that was subsidized on the backs of their oppressed.
I think you have a wrong interpretation of what I said. I am as anti-communist as they come. Else, my MBA would be quite ironic.
Quick reply to this message

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Did I say that? Please re-read.

We can have capitalism and this creates inequalities. To a large extent, these inequalities are good (my opinion)as they motivate people to strive harder. Communism creates dullards - pay a doctor the same as a bus-driver and I can tell you what people will try to become. I was saying we can have capitalism, inequalities and freedom - like we do now.
Ok, that better explains it. Inequality is a part of life.

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Ask them to also name a Communist country where millions of people were not killed either intentionally or unintentionally.
Awwww now, I was trying to stay on topic and not dangle bait.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:01 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
I think you have a wrong interpretation of what I said. I am as anti-comminist as they come. Else, my MBA would be quite ironic.
I also misinterpreted what you said. My bad.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
I think you have a wrong interpretation of what I said. I am as anti-comminist as they come. Else, my MBA would be quite ironic.
I do find it ironic when far leftist go after an MBA. I have a nephew who is a Van Jones lemming doing that now. Maybe once he reads Adam Smith he'll "get it".

But, thanks for answering the question, without answering it, because no such Communist country has ever achieved the ecomonic equality the proclaimed to be sought as the driving force behind their revolution (hope and change). Somehow Americans would rather repeat mistakes of failed Communists countries and leaders rather than to learn from them.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:06 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I do find it ironic when far leftist go after an MBA. I have a nephew who is a Van Jones lemming doing that now. Maybe once he reads Adam Smith he'll "get it".

But, thanks for answering the question, without answering it, because no such Communist country has ever achieved the ecomonic equality the proclaimed to be sought as the driving force behind their revolution (hope and change). Somehow Americans would rather repeat mistakes of failed Communists countries and leaders rather than to learn from them.
The irony is that you are type-casting people without knowing them. Keep on asking and answering your own questions ..have fun!

Old 12-08-2010, 12:11 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There is no such thing as economic equality in ANY system of government.
Ultimately, I agree in terms of total 100% equality. My OP is concerning those who are being governed - not the governors.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:11 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Freedom and Economic Equality Can't Co-exist

This is a principle.

Everyone is different. We have different levels of motivation, different interests, different goals, different environments, etc. Therefore these different interests will results in different paths of life, resulting in different economic outcomes.

The only way to achieve economic equality is through harsh government regulation. And from history and other countries - any attempt of economic equality results in the majority of the population being poor. I suppose you could say that the outcome is equal if most are poor - but who wants that?

One person wants to own a large business -- another wants a small business -- another is content to be a worker who spend a lot of time with family. Should the large business owner be forced to give away his money to support the lives of those with lesser motivations?

This country is based on freedom - not economic equality.

I am OK with short term welfare for people to get back on their feet - but the goal should be for all people to be free and work and support themselves - not to be fully supported by other citizens through government regulation, especially on a widespead basis as we have today.

I disagree that freedom and economic equality can't co-exist.

Flat tax, learn it, know it, love it.

Every American of working age pays x% on their income. You make more, you pay a higher dollar amount, but the same percentage as everyone else. You want to increase government spending, great, the tax rate has to go up so many percentage points to pay for it, and let the people decide if its worthy enough of their money.

Rich folks don't like that because they'd have to pay a higher dollar amount. Poor folks don't like it because they'd have to pay income tax.

But, in my mind and a lot of others, its the only way to be fair, and have the freedom that we all enjoy so much.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:18 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Memphis - how do you link taxes and economic equality?

Even w/ the flat tax, there will still be the super rich along with those living below the poverty line...

Old 12-08-2010, 01:22 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Memphis - how do you link taxes and economic equality?

Even w/ the flat tax, there will still be the super rich along with those living below the poverty line...
Then one can't complain "I pay more than they do" or that the rich are getting tax breaks that no one else is getting.

It essentially levels the playing field as far as the government is concerned. Sure, there will always be one guy who makes a dollar an hour more than you do, thats just the free market. But where the "unfair" wording is thrown around is when people see the richest Americans getting tax breaks they aren't getting.

No one complain that they are unfairly being taxed, because now the government would look at the population as a total, and everyone pays x percent of the pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies