Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 09:13 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,335,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Hey all you seniors that fell for the rhetoric of the Republican candidates, how do you like your Republicans now?

Thats right. They will give tax breaks to the wealthy and rob from the senior citizens who live on a fixed income. I could have predicted this.
I have no problem this. Yes, we could have used the $250 and yes, down deep we were hoping for it, but we also have to realize, everyone needs to give a little. Cut backs have to be made. In fact I think I am happier the Republicans stood their ground. We can't just keep giving away what we don't have. As long as the congress gets no raise and I mean none and the federal employees get no COLA there should be no problems

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 09:15 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,335,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why would senior citizens need to buy health insurance when they already have Medicare?

Show us something that validates your math and I don't mean something from Glenn Beck!
I guess you know very little about medi-care. It certainly has to be or should be suplimented somehow. It doesn't cover everything and there are large decudtions involved. Even with insurance, we pay something for almost everything we get. We pay for hospitalization, percriptions, lab tests and most office visits. Acurally I am a bit surprised at your comments, you are a doctor so you know medi-care doesn't cover everything. Add to that, our government has robbed both SS and medi-care for years. That is what needs to stop.

Nita

Old 12-09-2010, 09:37 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,451,110 times
So repugs have a problem with spending for this bill for the poor but have no problem adding to the deficit with their tax cuts for the wealthy or estates for the wealthy. Guess we know where their priorities are.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:48 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,358,884 times
This idea that seniors are somehow being "cheated" by low inflation is ludicrous. How would they be better off with 5% inflation and a 5% COLA??? Remember that tax thresholds for SS income are NOT adjusted for inflation, so inflation will eventually make almost all SS income taxable even for the lowest-income seniors. If I was a senior I wouldn't be in a big hurry to reach that point.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:03 AM

6,105 posts, read 5,972,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You seem to think Medicare part A and B are free to seniors. They're not and their costs go up just like regular insurance does. If the Republicans think the cost of living benefit to seniors should be pay-as-go then so should the tax breaks for the wealthy.

What in the post makes you think that I think Medicare is for free? Medicare Parts A and B are not free. Part A is free but Part B costs S99 a month which I pay as well as cutting a check to United Healthcare for for the gap insurance which costs $387 a month. I get a heck of a deal because I am on a life saving treatment that is billed at a rate of $1800 a week or about $94,000 annually.I am not alone their are about 70,000 Americans just like me and we cost the nation 6.5 billion dollars annually.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:06 AM

38,615 posts, read 26,274,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
After two consecutive years with no COLA increase the repubs blocked this $250.00 payment to seniors.

I'm a long way from SS, but thought I'd play devil's advocate, since there are probably quite a few retirees on this site.

GOP blocks legislation to award seniors $250 - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101208/ap_on_bi_ge/us_social_security_no_cola - broken link)

And they had planned to pay for it how?

House votes to revive pay-as-you-go budget rules - washingtonpost.com

Old 12-09-2010, 10:11 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,836,532 times
My wife and I are seniors on a fixed income, and they can keep their $250. Just another way to buy votes for the corrupt democrats...
If you're so worried about saving money, make sure the dream act fails. That's another democrat way to buy votes...
Rule number 1.....Anything the democrats want is bad for the country...

Old 12-09-2010, 10:17 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,600,779 times
Quote:
After two consecutive years with no COLA increase the repubs blocked this $250.00 payment to seniors.

I'm a long way from SS, but thought I'd play devil's advocate, since there are probably quite a few retirees on this site.

GOP blocks legislation to award seniors $250 - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101208/ap_on_bi_ge/us_social_security_no_cola - broken link)
Good.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:20 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,239,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The same way they're, OY! we're going to pay the ultra rich their tax cuts!! Oh, and estate taxes.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:21 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,203,020 times
Quote:

I'm a senior on SS....

Now what did I do for $250 extra?

But I'll take if YOU want to send it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies