Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:13 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,190,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yes, we hunt, we fish, and a lot of us out in the various rural parts of the state we really depend on that. But Palin's hunting trip was more reflective of the great white -48 hunters than that of real Alaskans.

We know what recoil is here, and we don't pay $144 a pound for meat to fill our freezers, which is what the caribou that Palin was finally able to shoot after several tries (kinda like her college career) cost when everything was factored in.

I hope that you all watch the show at least once (though I'd suggest hitting the mute button to avoid that shrill mess of a voice) for the beautiful scenery, but please don't think that Alaskans actually do things that way.
I watched five minutes of the first show and changed the channel, can't stand looking at her let alone listen to her.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
How does this affect your quality of life in any way? Most people don't know that Puerto Rico is part of the U.S. and you don't need a passport to visit, and you don't need to go through the immigration process moving there if you're an American. Yet, I don't lose sleep over it, or post a topic saying that Ricky Martin doesn't represent most Puerto Ricans

Although on the spirit of your topic, I know how you feel. I'm from Puerto Rico and most people don't think we're Americans and lump us in with the Mexicans. And yes, we DO use U.S. dollars down there and as the Puerto Rico Tourist Company says, "No U.S. Passport Required For U.S. Citizens"
I don't lose sleep over much of anything, actually

But it would be interesting if you did make a post about Puerto Rico; I would certainly view it as a chance to learn something about a place I've never been rather than roll my eyes at you for making it.

We have tourists in Alaska asking if we take U.S. money too.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:18 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Don't worry, I realize that SarahDivaDope only is interested in representing her greedy self.

I know Alaska is beautiful, almost as beautiful as Minnesota.... But I would NEVER endure the sight, and ear wrenching sound, of Sarah to see it ....I'll watch public TV...
actually Colorado is more beautiful. If you dont like guided hunts send them here.I work for an outfitter and we could use the clients. Sure they use our services but it's still real. and elk tastes better. ?yes I have

Old 12-08-2010, 07:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
I don't lose sleep over much of anything, actually

We have tourists in Alaska asking if we take U.S. money too.
At least you don't get lumped together with illegal Mexican immigrants up there oh and, those Puerto Rican parades that take place in Chicago and New York DON'T represent us at all. These are like, 3rd generation mainland Puerto Ricans and if you see someone with a Puerto Rican flag on their clothes, or car, 9 times out of 10 they are from a state and not the Commonwealth.

Do a lot of Americans think Alaska is a Canadian province?

Oh yeah for the record, I'm not a fan of Palin either (I hate her hawkish and censorship views), and some of us Republicans are not neo-cons dagnabit goshdarnit

Old 12-08-2010, 07:24 PM

565 posts, read 485,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
I watched five minutes of the first show and changed the channel, can't stand looking at her let alone listen to her.
And the question is, who can.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:27 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
If they had wanted to truly represent Alaska in the show, they could have had the camera crew film it in a more true to life manner--and Sarah herself could have added a disclaimer saying that most Alaskans don't fly out to a hunting field unless they have their own plane or a friend who does.

Chuck Heath (her father) has been hunting all of his life, and isn't a rich man at all. It would have been easy for him to have taken the camera crew out and provided a more realistic program...probably would have been more interesting as well.

By the way, I don't hunt myself and don't live in an area where many out of state hunters come except to hunt for black bear in the fall.
I think you're thinking too much into it. Put yourself where she is now. It's not so cut and dry. Would "I" have done what you just suggested? Yeah I would. I like authenticity, but I wouldn't expect it here. Just like Ice Road Truckers. I AM with you though if you believe it or not..

Old 12-08-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
At least you don't get lumped together with illegal Mexican immigrants up there oh and, those Puerto Rican parades that take place in Chicago and New York DON'T represent us at all. These are like, 3rd generation mainland Puerto Ricans and if you see someone with a Puerto Rican flag on their clothes, or car, 9 times out of 10 they are from a state and not the Commonwealth.

Do a lot of Americans think Alaska is a Canadian province?

Oh yeah for the record, I'm not a fan of Palin either (I hate her hawkish and censorship views), and some of us Republicans are not neo-cons dagnabit goshdarnit
I think they found an illegal Mexican alien in Juneau once, but that was several years ago.

Sometimes it seems like Canadians are the ones who think it's a Province, especially along the border during Canada Day.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:30 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,190,023 times
Quote:
I think they found an illegal Mexican alien in Juneau once, but that was several years ago.

Sometimes it seems like Canadians are the ones who think it's a Province, especially along the border during Canada Day.
Nah most Canuks know we don't own Alaska, we have the Yukon!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I think you're thinking too much into it. Put yourself where she is now. It's not so cut and dry. Would "I" have done what you just suggested? Yeah I would. I like authenticity, but I wouldn't expect it here. Just like Ice Road Truckers. I AM with you though if you believe it or not..
One of the problems is--is that there are so many shows about Alaska now, and they are a big part of the reason why so many people are moving up in droves. They think they can get big money jobs working on crab boats, think they can just move up and "live off the land". So yeah, it does impact my life a bit--we got so many people last summer come to the salmon plant we have looking for work so they could earn enough money to get back home. Sometimes I had time to talk to the people and sometimes I didn't, but I heard a lot of stories about how they came up because of what they saw on television.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Nah most Canuks know we don't own Alaska, we have the Yukon!
You need to go to Skagway on Canada Day...it's great fun, lots of beer is drunk and there are Canadians everywhere celebrating Canada.

And you Canucks own a lot of the mineral rights in AK...mine I used to work for was owned by a company in BC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies