Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I had read that article earlier with my husband, who is an excellent hunter, and a Marine sharpshooter, as well as IPSC certified.
IPSC - "Excellence in Shooting"
Now, who should we believe, some guy that claims to know what he is speaking of on the internet, or a Marine?
Keep digging that hole honey, we'll send the Chileans for you soon.
Oh, and my links are clean.
Then he knows a few things that went wrong about that hunt,
1 shot = 1 kill, anything more at that range is wasting ammo and possibly ruining the meat.

I've only been on three guided hunts in my life but each time I had to sight in my rifle (300 Win Mag) at camp before we went hunting. It was a requirement from the guides. Of course I deer hunt and competition shoot every year in so its not really a big deal for me.

I thought it was her dad or the other guy who brought up the recoil of the gun. Either way its a huge mistake to even mention recoil to someone who doesn't shoot on a regular basis. What happens with fear is you start to pull the trigger instead of squeezing it.

I watched the show because PETA bashed it, her killing a Caribou. Other than being inexperienced with a rifle I thought the show was fine. I certainly don't think everyone in Alaska hunts, or can afford the plane trips to their hunting grounds.

One thing it reminds me how beautiful Alaska is and the vast wildlife that live there. Palin put in the work (walking) through those fields. Its not as easy as it looks. I also liked the crazy a$$ woman that lived by herself, and no neighbors for what, 120 miles. That woman is one tough monkey as the majority of us sitting behind keyboards in a climate controlled house and grocery stores around the corner wouldn't make it two days up there. I wouldn't want to try either.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:16 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It was. And in case you missed it, it didn't represent real hunting in Alaska because most of us don't fly out to hunting grounds to the tune of thousands of dollars just to put food in our freezers.
Most of us? I thought you weren't a hunter?

Surely, there MUST be some hunters in Alaska that spend mucho bucks on hunting excursions? I know you know everyone of them, but maybe a few haven't told you yet what they do exactly when hunting, how much they spend, if they take friends, family...all those little details.

Quote:
Did I say I called him tonight, sweetheart?
More grasping at straws because you have no game.
My cousin has been writing for various hunting and fishing publications for decades, we both went to the same journalism school, so we talk about writers we both know and read.
I'm sure thats a foreign concept to you, speaking to others of things pertaining to literature, that is.
Left field is a place you are all too familiar with, but thats where the moles are, right, dearie?
Bless your heart, trying to keep up with the grownups....have a cookie and wait for Santa.
You would have had to call him tonight, since I posted for the first time @ 11:19 tonight, about the "guy" you said your journalist cousin knows. Now, unless you called your cousy TONIGHT, how could you make this statement;

Quote:
Exactly!
My cousin writes for the same publication, and says the guy is just that.
Anyone that knows anything about hunting knows you sight your weapons in beforehand, thats hunting 101.
Did you have a premonition yesterday or last week that I would put up an article by the SAME expert hunter that your cousy happens to work with (I think it's clear now, this is a made up story).

Caught in the web. It must be hard trying to keep track of all these "stories".

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I imagine that she is not showing her normal life, just like the people on any other reality show. Much of it is staged, much of it is probably an adventure and new experience for her. It should be a no-brainer that any reality show is not actually realistic and they are put into situations that will be provocative for the viewer, not b/c they are just going about their normal lives and that's where they ended up while filming.
Yes, we know that. But in one of her opening statements in the show, she attempted to portray her hunting trip as just one of the normal aspects of life in Alaska.

Now of course she probably has limited creative control over the content of the program, but it would have been nice if she had stood up for her state and demanded that the hunting segment reflect reality a bit more.

Her father, Chuck Heath, raised several children in Alaska on a schoolteacher's salary and really did depend on subsistence hunting and fishing to supplement their grocery bills. And as I have stated before, the man is an expert outdoorsman. It was a shame not to see that utilized in the show.

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Hunter becomes the hunted as Palin critics say she can't shoot
Ms Palin took no fewer than five shots to hit the beast which wandered on to the hillside where she was eating blueberries with her 72-year-old father, Chuck Snr. However it was her lousy field-craft, rather than wonky shooting, which raised the most questions about whether she really ought to call herself a "lifelong hunter".

The Conservative blogosphere, usually a forum for cheerleading on behalf the Palin cause, was awash yesterday with suggestions that her outdoorsy image is an elaborate charade.

Hunter becomes the hunted as Palin critics say she can't shoot - Americas, World - The Independent

Old 12-08-2010, 11:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Then he knows a few things that went wrong about that hunt,
1 shot = 1 kill, anything more at that range is wasting ammo and possibly ruining the meat.

I've only been on three guided hunts in my life but each time I had to sight in my rifle (300 Win Mag) at camp before we went hunting. It was a requirement from the guides. Of course I deer hunt and competition shoot every year in so its not really a big deal for me.

I thought it was her dad or the other guy who brought up the recoil of the gun. Either way its a huge mistake to even mention recoil to someone who doesn't shoot on a regular basis. What happens with fear is you start to pull the trigger instead of squeezing it.

I watched the show because PETA bashed it, her killing a Caribou. Other than being inexperienced with a rifle I thought the show was fine. I certainly don't think everyone in Alaska hunts, or can afford the plane trips to their hunting grounds.

One thing it reminds me how beautiful Alaska is and the vast wildlife that live there. Palin put in the work (walking) through those fields. Its not as easy as it looks. I also liked the crazy a$$ woman that lived by herself, and no neighbors for what, 120 miles. That woman is one tough monkey as the majority of us sitting behind keyboards in a climate controlled house and grocery stores around the corner wouldn't make it two days up there. I wouldn't want to try either.
Yes, thats very true about 1 shot. My husband prefers to bow hunt, as he says it levels the playing field.
He has no patience with amateurs at all.
Our property in Florida backs up to a hunting preserve that fills up with that sort all the time, we are constantly chasing people off our land all the time, can you believe one of the idiots tried to shoot our goats?
We were up in tree stands, watching them....all I'll say is I bet one of them is still picking birdshot out of his nether regions.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Palin asked, "Does it kick?"

LOL. She is clearly inept when it comes to firearms. Which is fine, most people are. But again, she's built a false image on being a hunting and fishing type of gal.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You would have had to call him tonight, since I posted for the first time @ 11:19 tonight, about the "guy" you said your journalist cousin knows. Now, unless you called your cousy TONIGHT, how could you make this statement;

Did you have a premonition that I would put up an article by the SAME expert hunter that your cousy happens to work with (I think it's clear now, this is a made up story).

Caught in the web. It must be hard trying to keep track of all these "stories".
I will try to type this slowly and use little words so you understand.
I have spoken with my cousin about the writer in question for several years, I recognized his name on the byline. You do know what a byline is, right?
Now, can you wrap your little mind around that?
Or does your specialty merely consist of misunderstanding?
Sure seems that way.
BTW, get yourself Foxy Proxy, it cleans the links before you post them, I had to use that on the article we are speaking of, that had a win32cye virus attached to it.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Why, here's an American publication with an expert in hunting that says something different;

Hunting expert grades Palin's shot - KARIN TANABE | POLITICO CLICK

Quote:
But Seifert noted that Palin “had a good rest, she was calm and she squeezed the trigger.”

“That’s the hardest part,” he said, “to calm yourself down when you are going to kill a big game animal. She did a good job there.”
You won't find amateurs that can do that.

So, who should we believe? An expert hunter or "theawl" and lefty websites that claim otherwise?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I will try to type this slowly and use little words so you understand.
I have spoken with my cousin about the writer in question for several years, I recognized his name on the byline. You do know what a byline is, right?
Now, can you wrap your little mind around that?
Or does your specialty merely consist of misunderstanding?
Sure seems that way.
BTW, get yourself Foxy Proxy, it cleans the links before you post them, I had to use that on the article we are speaking of, that had a win32cye virus attached to it.
Surely you can get your mind around the notion that claims from anonymous internet posters aren't very credible, especially when they're desperate to try and prove their point in an argument they've lost?

ABCNews article had a virus? I'd say it's something you already had on your system. My virus software didn't hiccup at all. Maybe you need to upgrade. Imagine - Politico, NYT, ABCNews - don't click the links, you'll get a virus "narrative".

Old 12-08-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Surely you can get your mind around the notion that claims from anonymous internet posters aren't very credible, especially when they're desperate to try and prove their point in an argument they've lost?

ABCNews article had a virus? I'd say it's something you already had on your system. My virus software didn't hiccup at all. Maybe you need to upgrade. Imagine - Politico, NYT, ABCNews - don't click the links, you'll get a virus "narrative".
Honey, you never had a dog in this fight, I doubt if you know a .22 from a 12 gauge.
So please stop pretending you know something when you dont.
As far as software, surely you know that a Trojan can be passed unknowingly, or are you claiming to be an expert at that, too?
Next you'll be saying that you know how good a hunter Palin is because you went hunting with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies