Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:38 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
+1

I wish folks would be less partisan with their posts and point out the hypocrisy no matter which party it's coming from. Well done, pamky.
They don't give a s*** about their freedom, its all about blaming the "others" for everything. "My side is always right and yours is always wrong".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 01:35 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

They ask themselves this question - how can I continue doing what I love to do, and keep my business profitable, while reducing my liability to a hostile government?
I've never asked myself that question. The question I've asked is how is it possible to maintain an honest business when corruption is institutionalized to enable corporate whales to impose taxes upon all. Your cronyism is no favor to me.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:09 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,005 times
Quote:
If we made the minimum wage $20 to $30 per hour, prices would go up eventually to meet the purchasing demands since all of these higher wage would be competing against each other in the marketplace. The only way I see this idea working is if wage increases were matched with price controls. (Which I am against)
The prices need to go up for the health of the economy. Falling prices are really bad. The prices would be driven higher in part by the higher wages themselves. Housing needs to be going up in price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No it wouldn't. It would kill a lot of small businesses and the jobs that they provide.
There would be some that would go out of business. But if they raised their prices then they should be able to stay afloat. Also with the bump in minimum wage would be a check to everyone for economic stimulus. Bumping minimum wage $7/hr. every 4 months for a bit, with everyone getting a check for $1k when the bump happened, this should smooth out the bump in the economy.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:46 PM

433 posts, read 459,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
The prices need to go up for the health of the economy. Falling prices are really bad. The prices would be driven higher in part by the higher wages themselves. Housing needs to be going up in price.
There would be some that would go out of business. But if they raised their prices then they should be able to stay afloat. Also with the bump in minimum wage would be a check to everyone for economic stimulus. Bumping minimum wage $7/hr. every 4 months for a bit, with everyone getting a check for $1k when the bump happened, this should smooth out the bump in the economy.
Awe inspiring comments.......................................... ........

Old 12-20-2010, 09:30 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoTex View Post
Awe inspiring comments.......................................... ........
If you take a real look at the alternatives. We really don't want to go there as a nation.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:13 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Rather than cry, we need to re-train our young people. Or we need to teach them to choose occupations that, hopefully will exist in 30 years.
Cute sound bite, but name just one? I tried to train for several in my day by getting new degrees at night, while working full time, but by the time the education was completed, the new field was innundated with too many workers. We simply produce too many children, and continue to allow immigration, when the only real solution is to shrink the labor force until labor is back in balance with the demand for it.

Doctors? Wiped out by Obamacare so they they will just lower-paid cogs in the massive profit machinery of Big Medicine.

Engineers? Reduced from a well-paid group a few generations ago to 80-hour a week, lousy-benefit jobs by the influx of Indian engineers by the tens of thousands decades ago.

Plumbers and electricians and carpenters? Got plenty for the demand.

Entrepreneurs? I can't think of any business that could survive our end-of-days economy, and if there was one, Big Business would already have a monopoly on it.

Teachers? Already the supply is so overwhelming that top notch technical professionals willing to trade high salaries for jobs that don't totally destroy their lives don't have a chance.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:16 PM

19,030 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
According to basic economic principles, when the supply of something (labor) increases dramatically relative to the demand for labor (capital, wealth, etc.) wages, the price point, must decrease. Thus, the American standard of living will eventually average out with that of the third world, which means that U.S. is on track to becoming a third world country.
Such a prescription is predicated on "money madness" and the control over the medium of exchange.
That's resolved here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...fire-cure.html

Old 01-04-2011, 04:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I would look to a job where you physically have to be there to work on it.
That's about all that is left that can't be offshored.
If you don't have to touch it then that job can be offshored.

The white collar "brain" jobs are getting fewer and fewer here in the US.
Bingo. Thats why I stick with the military and real estate. Both of these professions cant be sent offshore.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:26 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
If one is truly low income and cannot afford college, one option is to use Pell grants and Stafford / Perkins loans, which pay above the cost of tuition and books for low income people. I know many low-income people who "profit" from going to school each semester. The key is to go to an in-state public school.

Another option is to attend the few accredited universities that allow people to test out of the majority or all of a degree. Many military members use these colleges while deployed overseas to obtain a bachelors/masters in the U.S. so they can move up in the military or find employment once they are discharged.

excelsior.edu
tesc.edu
cosc.edu

These are three examples. You can test out of most/all of a regionally accredited bachelors' degree for under $6,000 total ($4,000 in CLEP/DSST exams and about $2,000 to graduate). These schools are accredited by the same agencies as the Ivies.

One could work a low paying job with low expenses, take a few CLEPs/DSSTs each month and have a bachelors in under a year.
Great post. This is exactly what I am doing right now because of my deployments. Almost done.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:07 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
What now?

Well, I guess we just start to become like Haiti, Ethipoia, or some other desperately poor thrid world country.
Yup, just like we did when artisan tool makers, gun smiths, cobblers, etc. were replaced with machines that could repeat precision process in the 19th century. Or like when a hundred thousand telephone operator positions dried up thru automation. Or farm machines doing the work of 100 men tilling soil and planting.

We immediately regressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies