Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:10 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Engineers? Reduced from a well-paid group a few generations ago to 80-hour a week, lousy-benefit jobs by the influx of Indian engineers by the tens of thousands decades ago.
Hyperbole much? A few generations ago? As in the early 20th century is when engineering was last prosperous?

Most engineering jobs are a lot closer to 40 hours than 80 hours, they are very well paid for what is usually a four year degree, and the continued growth in the field has easily kept pace with outsourcing to India. Where I work we can't keep people, in fact it has been that everywhere I've worked with the possible exception of right after dotcom bust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 05:15 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Thought this was a pretty interesting article about jobs leaving and never coming back.

Here is the link and a couple of paragraphs from the article.

Many jobs are gone forever: What now? - CNN.com

I have never used Zipcar but it does sound a lot more convienient compared to going to Hertz, alamo, dollar, Budget, Avis...etc. I cant stand the pick up and return car process. Redbox is also another example of more efficiency. Even though I do miss the feeling of walking in Blockbuster being surrounded by movies.
Places like China only pay workers $100 a month for what they produce. The still throw lead into everything it seems, but how does anybody compete with legalized slave wages?
The Government of China, the military is who gets all the profits.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
The Government of China, the military is who gets all the profits.
They have a rapidly expanding middle class.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
They have a rapidly expanding middle class.
The U.S. Government is a rapidly expanding middle class.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I imagine like i the 70;s recession that recued the numbers in mnay industries that epole will jsu adpt to new reality. mnay of these were already on the way to be less of a part of the employemnt in this country like then. I know where I lived the major industry went to hal the number before the 70;'s recession and now will employ 400 to double the out put that uses 2000.At one time agriculture employed multiples of what ot does now;so times change and so must people to survive.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:55 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I imagine like i the 70;s recession that recued the numbers in mnay industries that epole will jsu adpt to new reality. mnay of these were already on the way to be less of a part of the employemnt in this country like then. I know where I lived the major industry went to hal the number before the 70;'s recession and now will employ 400 to double the out put that uses 2000.At one time agriculture employed multiples of what ot does now;so times change and so must people to survive.
Can we legalize meth labs?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Engineers? Reduced from a well-paid group a few generations ago to 80-hour a week, lousy-benefit jobs by the influx of Indian engineers by the tens of thousands decades ago.
Software engineer just ranked #1 job in 2011 by CareerCast, with factors weighed being income, working environment, stress, physical demands and job outlook.

The Best and Worst Jobs of 2011 - WSJ.com

I'm a software engineer and every time I see some fool making stupid claims about the field based on something scary that read about India I roll my eyes, it is an outstanding, well paid field to be in with endless opportunity. Those who claim software development is a bad career choice are very rarely in it, they just know someone who knew someone etc.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
The U.S. Government is a rapidly expanding middle class.
Actually, no. Government payrolls have gone down.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:59 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Software engineer just ranked #1 job in 2011 by CareerCast, with factors weighed being income, working environment, stress, physical demands and job outlook.

The Best and Worst Jobs of 2011 - WSJ.com

I'm a software engineer and every time I see some fool making stupid claims about the field based on something scary that read about India I roll my eyes, it is an outstanding, well paid field to be in with endless opportunity. Those who claim software development is a bad career choice are very rarely in it, they just know someone who knew someone etc.
I am also a software engineer and, while I think it is OK, it is by far not the #1 job. I question that study. Look at the other top jobs they list: Mathematician, statistician, meteorologist, biologist, and historian. I don't see people rushing to get these degrees. I've never heard of people talking about all the great jobs out there for historians. Perhaps they gave a little too much weight to “physical demands”. Maybe they need to hire a statistician or mathematician to help them with their study.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:01 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Bingo. Thats why I stick with the military and real estate. Both of these professions cant be sent offshore.
Real estate is not a long term winner at this point in time the bubble needs to finish popping then it will be a good investment again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies