Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:58 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times

Advertisements

This evening, my son told us that his Social Studies teacher informed his class earlier this week that anyone who voted for *presidential candidate* is "stupid". He went on to explain that members of a certain party are stupid - ... really?

Is this okay for a teacher, a Social Studies teacher, a teacher of 10 year old children to be saying to his classroom? If this were your child, and the teacher had called YOUR beliefs "stupid", what would you do?

Seriously, I'm asking. I have every intention of discussing this with his principal tomorrow. Is this acceptable to anyone?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:02 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
This evening, my son told us that his Social Studies teacher informed his class earlier this week that anyone who voted for *presidential candidate* is "stupid". He went on to explain that members of a certain party are stupid - ... really?

Is this okay for a teacher, a Social Studies teacher, a teacher of 10 year old children to be saying to his classroom? If this were your child, and the teacher had called YOUR beliefs "stupid", what would you do?

Seriously, I'm asking. I have every intention of discussing this with his principal tomorrow. Is this acceptable to anyone?
One word answer. NEVER.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 PM

744 posts, read 1,209,769 times
If it was me I would arrange a meeting between the principal and this teacher right away. You do not want to give the school the information first because they will try and explain it away without really handling the situation. If you confront both at the same time you may atleast get the satisfaction of watching that teacher squirm a little when first confronted. My son had a teacher that kept pushing that illegal aliens should not be deported because they had not done anything wrong. I had a meeting with the teacher and principal and asked the teacher to define the word illegal and then asked when used before the noun, alien wouldn't that make it a descriptive word. The principal offered his apologies and from what my son said the teacher never brought up immigration issues any longer.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,959 times
I would ask to make sure that the child got it right. Whenever we talk about religious music, I have a statement that I use all the time, "I am not telling you what to believe, I am a music teacher." etc... A parent heard from her child that I said that no one should believe in religion. My principal came to me and asked me what I had said, I gave her the speech verbatim and she said, "I figured."

Old 12-08-2010, 08:32 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:

No, I don't care who he supports, that should have been left out of the classroom. If it was a current event class, perhaps he could state his political view, but not in such a derogatory manner.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
That depends on the candidate

Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 PM

Apparently, my son thought the teacher was kidding and asked for clarification - which is when he then said that not only those who voted for that person were stupid, but all members of that party. Not verbatim, of course. I'm leaving out critical details to increase the number of "real" responses.

My son is an honor student, member of the school's Merit Society. He is known for his honesty and has been every teacher's favorite student since his first day of preschool. He's not a troublemaker, he's well liked but quiet and shy generally.

I think I'm going to ask that the entire classroom be questioned, away from the teacher involved, if my son's version is questioned. I'm pretty mad and this was out of left field. How DARE he?!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
That depends on the candidate
And irrelevant posts like this are the reason I chose to leave that out. This isn't about WHO you support, it's about whether or not an elementary school teacher has the right to use his influence in such a manner.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:47 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No, I don't care who he supports, that should have been left out of the classroom. If it was a current event class, perhaps he could state his political view, but not in such a derogatory manner.
Not even in a current events class should a teacher present their personal political view to 10 year olds. And definitely not in that manner.

I'd go in right away and meet with both the teacher and principal if possible, catching them before an "excuse" can be made up. No need to be harsh or accusatory. Just calmly explain what was told to you and wait for the answer. Listen carefully and proceed from there. Maybe it was a misunderstanding. Probably not. My child would not be returning to that classroom until it was cleared up to my satisfaction. Good luck.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:47 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
And irrelevant posts like this are the reason I chose to leave that out. This isn't about WHO you support, it's about whether or not an elementary school teacher has the right to use his influence in such a manner.
Of course its irrelevant - its a joke - lighten-up.

'...this was out of left field.'

Are you hinting at something here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.