Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 01:32 PM

871 posts, read 1,627,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I find it more than a little ironic, perhaps a generational thing, that people used to decry communism vehemently-- look at their store shelves as proof. No choices, just the state made brand.

I now look at my store shelves and see communist (china) everywhere. They're telling me it's all in my imagination but I see communism on every shelf and hard pressed to find anything that isn't communist. Make people desperate enough they'll sell their own children with government consent. That's what pitting economies off one another does.
and people don't even know what communism is. it's not communism that's putting the products on the shelf. the capitalists have fooled you into demonizing communism while using captitalism against you. the deception is deeply rooted and i'm afraid past the point of no return.

america is failing because the majority are not very intelligent. end of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 02:59 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,648,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
People like to blame the Chinese for stealing their jobs because it absolves them of having to look in the mirror and realize that they have in some way failed. People like this need someone to blame.

It's always "Because of some greedy CEO and some corporate fatcats, my $25 an hour factory job got offshored to China where it's now being done by some 10 year old!"

It's never "Man, my skillset, life decisions into adulthood, and ultimate career choices are all so bad that the only thing I know how to do can be competently done by an illiterate 10 year old Chinese kid who hasn't even hit puberty yet. How sad is that? Maybe I need to learn some better skills".

Why? THe latter statement would require introspection and a desire to improve oneself. The former statement allows the individual to be a perpetual victim that's just being *#$@ed over by someone else because the deck is stacked against them.
Such bold statements for someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:12 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,755,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
If you want things made in a responsible manner, you have to pay the price.

The problem is that Americans are obsessed with having tons of cheap crap that doesn't last.

Some people have developed conscience though and the fair trade movement has gained traction.
Tons of cheap crap that doesn't last is the reason why no one wanting quality looks for it in Macy*s, Elder Beerman, or Nordstroms anymore. Sterns, Abraham Straus, Gertz, Marshall Field, whole host of others... all out of biz. They debased themselves from quality and kept their high end ticket for cheap garbage. Woolworth, the econo store, also out of business. Why?

Ford motor company: "Quality is job one", until the 80's, when cheap and quick cashed out brand name recognition debasing it to a few shades of gray above Yugo.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:21 PM

565 posts, read 485,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
You'll think differently when they export your job to another country.

At my company, we have shared customer service centers, R&D, and financial transaction centers in places like India and China. They are worked by college educated and highly motivated employees who cost about a third of what some college ****** in the US would. I've personally watched this trend take off in the last five years at a variety of companies, and it's not going to stop. It's not just the "bad jobs" that are going overseas.
Most people won't understand what is going on until they are personally affected. There is nothing new about that. If it doesn't happen to me, it doesn't exists.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Everyone is replaceable. Even you. As soon as its possible you will be replaced by a cheaper counterpart in a foreign nation, or someone who will work harder and faster for less.

Another mistake you make is the automatic assumption that gaining skills means better job. Typical conservative thinking thats out of touch with reality. If everyone goes out and gains more job skills, all we will get are more overqualified gas station attendants, cashiers, stock boys etc. Pay those at the bottom enough to afford cost of living and save for a rainy day. If they make bad choices from there then fine its their fault. Until a fair wage is paid though, its just more conservative BS to say "its your fault for being unskilled"

There are more important factors to one's life than work. Most people don't want to be enslaved by the pursuit of trying to simply make a living, which is what the lower class of this country is often forced to do through underpayment of wages, overpriced rent, fuel, etc.

But stick to those conservative sheeple talking points like "perpetual victim" and "gain more skills" they sound more believable after I've heard the millionth sheeple bleating them out.
What you term typical conservative is referencing something else. The conservatives today are crony conservatives having embraced corruption fully and calling it legitimate commerce. It's got no real relationship with true conservative, which was respectable, but people have been coached to be something else under the false heading of conservative. They've resorted to cult tactics to displace the core principles of what was formerly conservative.

I support second amendment, I might have joined NRA, but when I find myself surrounded by a room full of people using the voice of anarchists it's crystal clear to me that the NRA is not in defense of the second amendment. Trojan horses abound in all things affiliated 'conservative', yet true conservative is painfully absent. Pay attention. A war has been declared on the United States from within.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:28 PM

871 posts, read 1,627,245 times
Quote:
Tons of cheap crap that doesn't last is the reason why no one wanting quality looks for it in Macy*s, Elder Beerman, or Nordstroms anymore. Sterns, Abraham Straus, Gertz, Marshall Field, whole host of others... all out of biz. They debased themselves from quality and kept their high end ticket for cheap garbage. Woolworth, the econo store, also out of business. Why?

Ford motor company: "Quality is job one", until the 80's, when cheap and quick cashed out brand name recognition debasing it to a few shades of gray above Yugo.
hahaha! unbeleivable the mass self-congratulatory delusion.

get real, lady. most people could not afford to shop at nordstrom or macy's etc. and woolworth's was crap as it was an econo store.

there is this fantasy or false nostalgia that all americans lived with high quality and had high quality lives before outsourcing. that is quite funny.

a capitalist economy makes sure that is just unreal. there always were the haves and have-nots and always were markets catering to both. there were low-end stores to high-end stores just like now.

i don't get where you think there are not high-end products or companies. i suspect people who believe this cannot afford them.

there are lots of top or name-brands that are of higher quality. there are stores that are really high-end as well. the brands and stores are too many to list actually.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:31 PM

I'm not bothering to respond to xanath, but hold this evidence up to illustrate the point that conservatives have substantively changed the definition of legitimate commerce, corrupted it, and embrace through writ an endorsement of predation. They are playing zero sum games, not the concept of unlimited pie that Reaganomics promised in stump speeches. A complete disconnect from the fact that even skilled labor making investment in education has had rugs systemically ripped out from under them and wage values debased. This is what they are:

Quote:
I realize that there are people nipping at my heels who want what I have, and I keep moving to ensure they don't get it.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:37 PM

565 posts, read 485,082 times
Quote:
It's always "Because of some greedy CEO and some corporate fatcats, my $25 an hour factory job got offshored to China where it's now being done by some 10 year old!"

It's never "Man, my skillset, life decisions into adulthood, and ultimate career choices are all so bad that the only thing I know how to do can be competently done by an illiterate 10 year old Chinese kid who hasn't even hit puberty yet. How sad is that? Maybe I need to learn some better skills".
Young kids can do a lot of jobs as well or even better than adults.
Now they will only last a few years, they will be crippled, they will go blind.
In our society that was set a few decades ago.

Learn new skills, like what. Upgrading from being a factory worker to becoming a computer ingenieur. Sure, right away.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
and people don't even know what communism is. it's not communism that's putting the products on the shelf. the capitalists have fooled you into demonizing communism while using captitalism against you. the deception is deeply rooted and i'm afraid past the point of no return.

america is failing because the majority are not very intelligent. end of story.
I'm not fearful of communism in and of itself because like any other market it will succeed or fail if manipulations do not occur tilting favors unmercifully. Fascism/ authoritarianism is what animated it into the monster we saw in Stalin. It was not the face of communism we ever had to fear. It was Fascism, and Fascism was what McCarthy used in defense of America. He ran headlong into the sickness plaguing communists. Present tense RW has done the exact same thing. You cannot fight terrorists by becoming a terrorist. They are lost.

Yes I do see it rory. I see a vast array of deceptions antithetical to America and it's best interests. Don't give up on America. Name all the deceptions, scrutinize their root source and keep yourself grounded in truth. Don't lose sight of what it is we are supposed to be when we call ourselves Americans the same way Christians lost sight of themselves.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:49 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,089,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
The dirty secret behind jeans and bras | Greenpeace East Asia (http://www.greenpeace.org/eastasia/news/textile-pollution-xintang-gurao - broken link)

Thank god for globalization. I wouldn't know what I'll do if I had to deal with pollution like this in my town. I think we should export more dirty jobs to other countries.
Living it up right now, but after a good percentage of their population gags from the filthy air and water contamination, one would begin to think that the off-shoring of manufacturing jobs was deliberate for some other malicious reason(ie.,population cull).
Sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory, but just a thought nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies