Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 03:05 AM

580 posts, read 2,289,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Some of you people seem to think if all the unemployed people decided to go out and get any job no matter how menial it is, unemployment would go down. First of all most people are overqualified and wouldn't get the job if they wanted to. Second, even if they did, it would not affect the overall unemployment rate. All that you would end up doing is displacing another worker who probably would have been more than happy to have that job, but the overall unemployment rate would remain the same. It's all about the numbers and should be very easy to see. When you have more people applying for jobs than there are jobs available, obviously not everybody is going to be employed. You people act as if employers are having a hard time finding workers. This is hardly the case, except in jobs where a specialized skill set required.

I would like to see one intelligent comment on this. This is something I've posted more than once on different threads, but not once have any of the people who are against being on unemployment, made a comment. Maybe it is because they know it is true and it goes against their thinking everybody should just get any job. So quit your bickering and tell me I'm wrong and have facts to back it up.
I'm still waiting for somebody to respond to this. Post #443
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 03:18 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,257,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
I'm still waiting for somebody to respond to this. Post #443
And I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me, why I should have my taxes raised, so someone can sit on the couch for three years and do nothing?

Old 12-10-2010, 03:50 AM

7,968 posts, read 7,307,420 times
The job situation IS tough out there, and it was right to extend unemployment. In this economy it takes longer to find a decent job. At age 50, I was laid off, and it took me almost a year to find another job - I start Monday!!!!! It is not my "dream job", a lot less money, and is not even in my old field, but it is a job, what more can I say. Some of us, especially us older folks, are finding it a lot tougher, and I don't feel guilty about having collected unemployment as long as I did - I was steadily employed for almost 35 years.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:06 AM

7,968 posts, read 7,307,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The term is homesteader,it is choosing to not be part of the decay that is this society....

Funny you think farming isn't intellectual,but then those who are only college educated oftentimes confuse the limited amount of knowledge they were given with intelligence.

Hope you aren't one of those types....

I can't stand anyone putting down farmers. Where do you think your food comes from? The farmers in my locality that I've gotten to know, spent time with and worked for are some of the most intelligent folks I've ever met - and none of them are college educated. They are incredibly observant - they can instantly spot and identify a bug that could ruin a crop or a discolored leaf that heralds disease. Add to that a lack of pretentiousness, a willingness to share their knowledge, helpfulness and honesty, they are the best.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:38 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,077,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
it's only fraud if you're not looking for a job friend
True....and these idjits who are slamming the unemployed are quivering cowards who are too scared to look at the really BIG Frauds...the financial institutions that brought about a tanking economy and loss of jobs, the Never Ending BUSH WAR so filled with over charging and corruption but I guess if you're sending our money to the Middle East and Halliburton is ripping us off it's OK with these guys..., but let them think for a minute that an average American might get a nickel of their money and they're rabid...how anti-American can these people get???

Old 12-10-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
And I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me, why I should have my taxes raised, so someone can sit on the couch for three years and do nothing?
OK, your taxes aren't raised so someone can sit around for 3 years and do nothing, there are people like that but not many....not enough to make a difference.
Personally I LIKE seeing my taxes going towards re-education and support of people who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own.

People losing their jobs and homes doesn't help OUR economy.

You pay taxes because that's how a country is run and it's un-American to not pay taxes....YOU use other people's taxes and they use yours.

Your taxes may get raised to pay for wars so the wealthy can get wealthier.

Your taxes may get raised so the wealthy can have tax breaks they don't need.

We all pay taxes for things we don't like...if that's not good for you then find a place or a way you can live without paying taxes....I'm sure any corporate lawyer can give you a lot of good ideas..they are experts at not paying taxes.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:00 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,569,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
True....and these idjits who are slamming the unemployed are quivering cowards who are too scared to look at the really BIG Frauds...the financial institutions that brought about a tanking economy and loss of jobs, the Never Ending BUSH WAR so filled with over charging and corruption but I guess if you're sending our money to the Middle East and Halliburton is ripping us off it's OK with these guys..., but let them think for a minute that an average American might get a nickel of their money and they're rabid...how anti-American can these people get???
It's really too bad straw isn't traded as a commodity on Wall Street. I'd invest in it heavily after seeing the size of the strawmen some of the posters on this site make (yes, you).

Old 12-10-2010, 06:04 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,520,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel.S View Post
There was a time, not too long ago, that if I felt my employer was treating his/her employers unfairly, I would simply give them 2 weeks notice, make one or two phone calls on my way home, and have a new job waiting for me BEFORE I even got home. This is fact.

Times have changed, you obviously haven't noticed. Put your money where your mouth is and prove it to us ......

Fact is you won't, you know why? because you're afraid, AS YOU SHOULD BE! I've stated this multiple times, all you pathetic people that have nothing better to do with their lives than to kick the unfortunate around, your pink slips are just around the corner. I look forward to reading your posts in the not too distant future!
I've got a job, and it isn't likely to disappear. I work in retail, and our profits increased by a billion dollars over last year, something like 1.8%. But I'm not above working at Taco Bell, or the local grocery store either.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:09 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,520,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel.S View Post
What are you afraid of? It was you that made the comment. I'm simply calling on you to prove it.

I've heard your statement from more people that I can count, most of which are jobless now.

Yep, I'm calling you out Snake! Put your money where your mouth is if it is as easy as you make it out to be !!!
Haven't you heard about the rash of people intentionally quitting their jobs in this market? I never quit until I had another job lined up, but I wouldn't have a problem doing it, if the work environment was something I couldn't take anymore.

But my boss pretty much leaves me alone, and trusts me to run my own show. If he was over my shoulder, micromanaging me, you can bet I'd have quit by now. But he trusts me to know what I need to get done, and how to do it productively...since I'm only the second most productive member of my team. The most productive guy is about my age, but uses a machine for everything, whereas I do it all by hand.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
It's really too bad straw isn't traded as a commodity on Wall Street. I'd invest in it heavily after seeing the size of the strawmen some of the posters on this site make (yes, you).
Oh, I'm sorry you didn't have an answer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies