Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 06:41 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,576,029 times

Advertisements

I think it was the right thing to do to extend un-employment benefits. It truly makes me sad to see so many people out of jobs. In this economy, we need to do everything we can to help people and businesses keep their heads above water and works towards making things better.

I also support keeping the tax cuts for everyone. At this point, not extending the tax cuts would be the same as raising taxes and that is not conducive to a better economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 06:45 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,858,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Oh, I'm sorry you didn't have an answer...
I find it hard to believe people would expect an answer to ridiculous questions..

Old 12-10-2010, 07:24 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,799,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The rules you also say that you must be looking for a job. If you are defending people follow the rules, then do so without trying to talk about of both sides of your mouth..
As long as he satisfied the requirements of the Unemployment Office and looked for work,whatever else he does is fine...

Quote:
Its postings like yours which causes people to hate those on unemployed. You stand here and defend lazyness and incompetence while the american taxpayer pays the bill. had this been some CEO you'd be asking for jailtime....
At least you are admitting the hatred of the unemployed...that's a start.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
And I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me, why I should have my taxes raised, so someone can sit on the couch for three years and do nothing?
Your taxes were raised?

Old 12-10-2010, 07:26 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,145,112 times
Quote:
True....and these idjits who are slamming the unemployed are quivering cowards who are too scared to look at the really BIG Frauds...the financial institutions that brought about a tanking economy and loss of jobs, the Never Ending BUSH WAR so filled with over charging and corruption but I guess if you're sending our money to the Middle East and Halliburton is ripping us off it's OK with these guys..., but let them think for a minute that an average American might get a nickel of their money and they're rabid...how anti-American can these people get???
Actually the really big frauds are our elected reps.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
The job situation IS tough out there, and it was right to extend unemployment. In this economy it takes longer to find a decent job. At age 50, I was laid off, and it took me almost a year to find another job - I start Monday!!!!! It is not my "dream job", a lot less money, and is not even in my old field, but it is a job, what more can I say. Some of us, especially us older folks, are finding it a lot tougher, and I don't feel guilty about having collected unemployment as long as I did - I was steadily employed for almost 35 years.
To some you took a year off,that is all that matters....

Old 12-10-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I can't stand anyone putting down farmers. Where do you think your food comes from? The farmers in my locality that I've gotten to know, spent time with and worked for are some of the most intelligent folks I've ever met - and none of them are college educated. They are incredibly observant - they can instantly spot and identify a bug that could ruin a crop or a discolored leaf that heralds disease. Add to that a lack of pretentiousness, a willingness to share their knowledge, helpfulness and honesty, they are the best.
You are addressing this to the wrong person...

Old 12-10-2010, 07:29 AM

12,999 posts, read 18,804,740 times
I bet that most of those who bash the unemployed either work in secure government jobs or are retired so they need not be concerned. Those who still have jobs should be thanking whatever God they believe in for their continued employment.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
True....and these idjits who are slamming the unemployed are quivering cowards who are too scared to look at the really BIG Frauds...the financial institutions that brought about a tanking economy and loss of jobs, the Never Ending BUSH WAR so filled with over charging and corruption but I guess if you're sending our money to the Middle East and Halliburton is ripping us off it's OK with these guys..., but let them think for a minute that an average American might get a nickel of their money and they're rabid...how anti-American can these people get???
That is a strange attitude amongst Americans,they would rather attack the individual and place blame almost totally on them rather than ever think it could be the company or corporation or business owner.

It is probably due to the mistaken belief that one day they too will be the one with power...and so sacrifice their lives towards that goal.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:37 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,145,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I bet that most of those who bash the unemployed either work in secure government jobs or are retired so they need not be concerned.
Maybe those who question how many are unemployed know some folks milking it for all its worth? I have not posted on the topic before but I know several people who are milking it because they refuse to take a lower end job that pays less than unemployment does.
I don't work for the government, nor am I retired. I have never ever taken a dime in unemployment either. I have worked at a pizza shop delivering pizza and at a nursing home as an aide, and for a landscaper cutting grass all at the same time. 7 days a week no days off. It sucked but I paid my bills paid for the births of 2 children, and hated life for 3 years until I finally ended up with a good job with benefits.
I don't begrudge someone who is laid off or down on their luck. I don't believe that all or even most folks on unemployment are scamming the system. I simply don't believe that all of them are honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies